Received 293 Likes on 190 Posts

I think Lart's photo shop looks the best..less cluttered than stacked plates
Old 07-03-2006, 08:22 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by azmi951
you can also trim a touch off the tops and bottoms of the plate, make to holes a bit oblonged and shift the US plate up 1/2 inch. makes it look like the plate fits into the car like the euro plates do.
How did this end up...? I just found this thread... Anyway, I took a strip off the top of my plate & pushed it up- that's all it took- just the top indentured strip- maybe moved it 1/4" tops... Then, I removed the metal "H" bracket & drilled two small holes through the license plate- I ran two small bolts right through them, through the donut bushings, & into the factory holes on the back of the car. I dremeled the bolt heads down & painted them off-white to match the plate & they hardly show up at all... made a big dif in the look of the rear of the car, but my plate cutting could have been better... Azmi951- how would you recommend cutting the plate? I'd like to start w/a new one & have it cut perfectly...

Another suggestion for the holes, besides the bumper plugs (although I like that one)- did you consider just painting your plugs body color? Might be cheapest way for a temporary solution anyway...
Old 07-03-2006, 10:43 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

I second the suggestion for bumperplugs.com as they are factory color-matched. I also squared up my rear plate to sit more centered, but instead of cutting anything the easier way is just to drill 2 holes in the brackets just below the existing body mounting holes. No more cutting and you use the factory plate holes and nylon inserts
Old 07-03-2006, 11:19 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
I second the suggestion for bumperplugs.com as they are factory color-matched. I also squared up my rear plate to sit more centered, but instead of cutting anything the easier way is just to drill 2 holes in the brackets just below the existing body mounting holes. No more cutting and you use the factory plate holes and nylon inserts
This is not a bad way to fix the plate- Danno shows how to do it on his RacerX site- he filps the "H" frame over though... works well... BUT, the plate is STILL too big to fit w/in the rectangular section, so will STILL overhang somewhere. There's no way around this w/out cutting the plate. I thought I was going to have to cut the trim off both the top & bottom edges, like Azmi951 said, but I found that just doing the top, worked perfectly. I did it w/a dremel though, so I want a better, more precise method for next time, since I'm expecting a new plate soon. ALSO, it got rid of the "H" frame piece & I was able to cut some ends off some bolts, etc. All of it added up to maybe 1lb of weight reduction.... Yes, that made me happy... I think...
Old 07-03-2006, 12:33 PM
smac951
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Lart,
I still have that rear reflector if you want it.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:47 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by smac951
Lart,
I still have that rear reflector if you want it.
I am heading for oakland today to pick up a 87 951 for parts. I will be back by friday and will give you a call next week I am stil interested on that panel for a carbon fiber project that I have in mind.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Rear Reflector Mess!