Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

I was invited to try a new Vitesse turbo.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006 | 10:27 PM
944CS
Drifting

is this on 8:1 compression?
Old 05-01-2006 | 11:49 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

There is nothing magic about turbo mods. Once the housing and wheels are selected you can use the following menu ort/polish - clearance - extrude hone the turbine housing, clip the wheel , zero clearancing and ceramic coating.
Old 05-01-2006 | 11:52 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

ST is full of crap, and we all know it !
Old 05-02-2006 | 01:00 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by special tool
Yes, the dyno will show the power and the relative spoolup improvement.

We should not compare the latest technology, leading edge turbos specifically designed for the 951 to a turbo designed in the 60's for a diesel truck - which has very high static compression. Take it from me, I know diesel turbos.....
We're not talking diesel turbos. Not to turn this into a gt vs. vr thread but, the gt35r I mentioned is a completely "new tech" turbo. The compressor wheels have been completely redesigned and cannot be compared to the old tech garrett wheels that have been around for so many decades. People have been making over 600rwhp (albeit on highly moded non-stock motors) on gt35r's for awhile now.

Here's some links to various dynos:

Srt4 Gt35r
STI Gt30r
Evo 8 Gt35r Boost log So I guess that .5l and more inefficient head design is good enough to drop 4000rpm off the spool time of this evo? (Hint - this guy's making 15psi by 6788rpm on a 2.0l with a much more efficient engine)
Evo8 Gt3071r Boost Log
Evo8 Gt35r Boost Log (Pump Gas)
Yet another gt35r Ev0 boost log

I could sit here and post links to dynos all day long. To anyone that's even remotely curious, I highly suggest browsing other forums (evo, impreza, srt4, 240sx, etc) and figuring it out for yourself rather than having someone tell you how it is. There is tons of good info, dynos, etc out there from the import crowd. Although these are apples to oranges comparisons because of all the variances (engine type, turbo size, etc), engines are basically just air pumps and our's are no exception.

ST, once you are able to dyno everything, I and I'm sure others would appreciate it if you could please go into details such as boost, octane, boost logging, a/f's, etc.

If I can just finish screwing around with my 911 (gt4088r + AEM = Mucho HP), I might have to challenge you to the 951 600rwhp+ mark. I can almost hear the money jumping out of my wallet.
Old 05-02-2006 | 01:32 AM
Barry Johnson
Burning Brakes

Can you fill us in on which cam you're using and what size valves?
Old 05-02-2006 | 07:11 AM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by Porschefile
We're not talking diesel turbos. Not to turn this into a gt vs. vr thread but, the gt35r I mentioned is a completely "new tech" turbo. The compressor wheels have been completely redesigned and cannot be compared to the old tech garrett wheels that have been around for so many decades. People have been making over 600rwhp (albeit on highly moded non-stock motors) on gt35r's for awhile now.

Here's some links to various dynos:

Srt4 Gt35r
STI Gt30r
Evo 8 Gt35r Boost log So I guess that .5l and more inefficient head design is good enough to drop 4000rpm off the spool time of this evo? (Hint - this guy's making 15psi by 6788rpm on a 2.0l with a much more efficient engine)
Evo8 Gt3071r Boost Log
Evo8 Gt35r Boost Log (Pump Gas)
Yet another gt35r Ev0 boost log

I could sit here and post links to dynos all day long. To anyone that's even remotely curious, I highly suggest browsing other forums (evo, impreza, srt4, 240sx, etc) and figuring it out for yourself rather than having someone tell you how it is. There is tons of good info, dynos, etc out there from the import crowd. Although these are apples to oranges comparisons because of all the variances (engine type, turbo size, etc), engines are basically just air pumps and our's are no exception.

ST, once you are able to dyno everything, I and I'm sure others would appreciate it if you could please go into details such as boost, octane, boost logging, a/f's, etc.

If I can just finish screwing around with my 911 (gt4088r + AEM = Mucho HP), I might have to challenge you to the 951 600rwhp+ mark. I can almost hear the money jumping out of my wallet.

This is what I mean- the K26/6 is a diesel truck turbocharger designed in the 60's. It is a heavy achor that requires a hurricane to get it spinning.
I can blow lightly on mine to start it spinning - and this is only the tip of the iceburg.
Old 05-02-2006 | 07:13 AM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by 944CS
is this on 8:1 compression?

Yes - I would run less. if I could.
The AFR and timing are perfect, if I may be so bold.
Old 05-02-2006 | 09:44 AM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Is Imagine Auto missing some thing, what turbos are they using on 930 for fast spooling, and making lots of hp.
Old 05-02-2006 | 10:03 AM
JET951
Drifting

"I can blow lightly on mine to start it spinning " posted by ST

so would i be right in saying you have a ball bearing turbo?
Old 05-02-2006 | 10:19 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"I can blow lightly on mine to start it spinning - and this is only the tip of the iceburg."

So there is one hint to the turbo...some super light weight materials (titanium/carbon fiber???)

Old 05-02-2006 | 10:21 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"Yes - I would run less. if I could. "

So you will have almost no power off boost or I guess your expecting such fast spool up you will always be driving at some level of boost regardless of the rpm...?
Old 05-02-2006 | 12:48 PM
tedesco
Instructor

I am also wondering how it might get possible to increase spool up and increase top end power at the same time. One thing about the spool up is its dynamic character which means how quick it can accelerate. This is linked to wheight(inertia)/power ratio of the turbo. But here we are talking about running under steady state conditions (engine acceleratioin <<slower than turbo acceleration). In this case the inertia of the turbo does not matter which excludes it from beeing affected by means of tuning. Under any other conditions spool up will be delayed and even worse and more difficult to achive.
So the turbo should be able to produce 1bar at 3000rpm. This could be achived by beeing very restrictive on the engine side and the limit is only the surge characteristic of the compressor/housing used (certainly not the target). I think it would be better to compare power or torque at 3000rpm, just boost is meaningless as there are race engines needing less boost for the same power as a street car for the same numbers. As typicaly the Vitess turbos have no "anti surge" housings I can not imagine how it will be possible to have such a low surge limit combined with the high flow potential needed for 600WHP. For this flow potential you need a big inducer diameter which means higher surge limits.
Another aspect is the power requirements to drive the compressor....
The specs listed look urealistic with any turbo map I have seen so far. That does not mean it is impossible but more than just cutting edge technology.
Old 05-02-2006 | 01:19 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

What are you guys talking about? He can do this!

Special tool can fart and produce 600 hp at 22psi
Old 05-02-2006 | 01:24 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

I caught a picture of it on the palette.
Old 05-02-2006 | 01:29 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

VATN Turbo

Quick Reply: I was invited to try a new Vitesse turbo.....