Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Just Got A Taste of XYLENE Today - Daaaamn It Was Goood!!! - It's Crack For A 951!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 03:49 AM
jy951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Got A Taste of XYLENE Today - Daaaamn It Was Goood!!! - It's Crack For A 951!!!

After reading the many Toulene/Xylene threads in this forum - I decided to give it a try. I stopped by the paint department at my local Home Depot and there was ONLY one can remaining.

Hmmm.....how many other XYLENE addicts are out there? Every turbo owner in my suburb (of a LARGE City on the East Coast) must have been to this Home Depot - because the XYLENE occupies a large shelf space.

I paid my $20(USD) and decided to give it a whirl - imagine pouring paint thinner in your beloved 951. Anyway, I had about 1/3 or a tank of Sunoco 94 that I was mixed with the XYLENE. That was all she wrote Baaaby!!!!

It took the XYLENE less than 2 minutes to go thru my fuel system and my 951 became a rocket ship. Currently, I am running at stock boost with an AFR (high 11s thru high 12s, AFR of mid 12s going on boost, AFR of high 11s to low 12s under boost). I tune the fuel curve with MAFterburner. Needless to say - even @ 10 - 13 psi, XYLENE will pucker your pants, haven't tried it at 14 - 16 psi yet. Quite frankly, with XYLENE, 96% of the ricer cars are history, unless they've had significant engine work, even if you are running stock boost.

I have to say that I'm addicted. But, at $20 (per gallon - USD) for a fix, I can't afford this crack everytime I fill up - or else - I'd have to take out a mortgage to feed my XYLENE habit. XYLENE will visit my gas tank on selected occaisons. But I will buy a few cans and put them in my garage (detached from the hosue), because it's obvious that more than just painters are buying the stuff.

Thanks David Floyd + Supa Tool for turning my 951 into a crack (XYLENE) ho!

Hell, race gas will seem like **** water after this XYLENE experience.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:08 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Serously? Is the Xylene more effective than race fuel? Don't you have to upgrade your fuel lines to stainless as it eats them. Any other precautions to take when adding this stuff?
Old 04-13-2006, 04:34 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

be careful when handling it, being cancerogenic and all..
Old 04-13-2006, 05:59 AM
JE_951
Pro

OK now ive read the post's about this already but can i get a quick awnser for these questions:

Will it ruin stock fuel lines (if i tried it once)?

Will it make a considerable difference on a car running 1.5bar of boost?

If i try it then should i use Toulene or Xylene (or does it not matter)?
Old 04-13-2006, 07:10 AM
UK952
Burning Brakes

I am suprised it made any difference at all. It allows you to run more boost or advance or both but if you make no adjustments on a correctly tuned car other than the limited range of knock sensor adjustment how does it change things?
Tony
PS my old man lives in Botswana and runs a Scooby WRX the petrol there is 91RON and it hates it. He Uses toluene to boost the octane to around 100 ron and that does make a big difference. On the standard stuff it has major flatspots and pinking.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:32 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jy951
After reading the many Toulene/Xylene threads in this forum - I decided to give it a try. I stopped by the paint department at my local Home Depot and there was ONLY one can remaining.

Hmmm.....how many other XYLENE addicts are out there? Every turbo owner in my suburb (of a LARGE City on the East Coast) must have been to this Home Depot - because the XYLENE occupies a large shelf space.

I paid my $20(USD) and decided to give it a whirl - imagine pouring paint thinner in your beloved 951. Anyway, I had about 1/3 or a tank of Sunoco 94 that I was mixed with the XYLENE. That was all she wrote Baaaby!!!!

It took the XYLENE less than 2 minutes to go thru my fuel system and my 951 became a rocket ship. Currently, I am running at stock boost with an AFR (high 11s thru high 12s, AFR of mid 12s going on boost, AFR of high 11s to low 12s under boost). I tune the fuel curve with MAFterburner. Needless to say - even @ 10 - 13 psi, XYLENE will pucker your pants, haven't tried it at 14 - 16 psi yet. Quite frankly, with XYLENE, 96% of the ricer cars are history, unless they've had significant engine work, even if you are running stock boost.

I have to say that I'm addicted. But, at $20 (per gallon - USD) for a fix, I can't afford this crack everytime I fill up - or else - I'd have to take out a mortgage to feed my XYLENE habit. XYLENE will visit my gas tank on selected occaisons. But I will buy a few cans and put them in my garage (detached from the hosue), because it's obvious that more than just painters are buying the stuff.

Thanks David Floyd + Supa Tool for turning my 951 into a crack (XYLENE) ho!

Hell, race gas will seem like **** water after this XYLENE experience.

Dude, you are suppose to pour the xylene in to the gas tank not drink that ****.
$ 20.00 per gallon??? WTH, locate a vista paint store near you and you can buy a gallon for only $ 10.50 or a 5 gallon can for $ 55.00
Old 04-13-2006, 12:24 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Yea, I would like to try this as well sometime this summer. When I got Vitesse MAF/piggyback upgrade, I can flip a switch and run racing fuel, so I would like to see the difference in that.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:26 PM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The increase in octane will not make more power. It allows for more boost without detonation which then leads to more power.
If you experience more power after just adding X or T, wouldn't this indicate that your engine is NOT properly tuned for regular gas?
Old 04-13-2006, 12:29 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by UK952
I am suprised it made any difference at all. It allows you to run more boost or advance or both but if you make no adjustments on a correctly tuned car other than the limited range of knock sensor adjustment how does it change things?
Tony
PS my old man lives in Botswana and runs a Scooby WRX the petrol there is 91RON and it hates it. He Uses toluene to boost the octane to around 100 ron and that does make a big difference. On the standard stuff it has major flatspots and pinking.
If the knock sensor was pulling timing and boost before, the added octane might be letting this car run at full force. However, I am curious if any of our petro-chemist or boost junkies know:

1. Does a blend of pump gas and xylene release more energy when burning than regular pump blends?

2. What happens to the stoichiometric ratio when you add xylene? If pump gas is 14.7:1 -- does xylene lowere this? And, if so, should you run a xylene blend a bit richer under WOT than you would pump gas?
Old 04-13-2006, 12:44 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by UK952
ditto, unless of course he was just using really bad fuel to begin with.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:41 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It didnt make any difference, your butt dyno physc'd you out. Xylene/toulene are only effective when you turn the boost up. It'd be like putting Race gas in a stock street NA car, doesnt do a damn thing.

Last edited by MPD47; 04-13-2006 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:43 PM
HIGHBOOST
Pro

[QUOTE=Tom M'Guinn]If the knock sensor was pulling timing and boost before, the added octane might be letting this car run at full force

Exactly what I was thinking, this seems to be the only way to experience any increase
Old 04-13-2006, 02:13 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quite possible it just cleaned some crud outta your injectors or somethin'. I'd burn off that tank as soon as possible - I believe the gas tank liners can get eaten by the stuff.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:22 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have read that the F1 boys discovered along with the octane increase, Toluene burns hotter and thus provides a quicker spool. The more excited the exhaust molecules, the faster the exhaust gasses expand and exit the engine.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:41 AM
jy951
Instructor

Originally Posted by DFASTEST951
Serously? Is the Xylene more effective than race fuel? Don't you have to upgrade your fuel lines to stainless as it eats them. Any other precautions to take when adding this stuff?
My 951 already has braided SS fuel lines + the LR Fuel Rail

Quick Reply: Just Got A Taste of XYLENE Today - Daaaamn It Was Goood!!! - It's Crack For A 951!!!