Finally back in a 951...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 02:21 PM
Brantley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Finally back in a 951...

After about 8 to 10 months of searching for a nice example of a 951, I found a deal that I could not pass up. Although it was by no means my ideal find it was only $2100.

It is an 86, completely stock, and all maintenance done (recent clutch and belts), with tons of receipts over the years. The bad items are generally cosmetic (The exterior is off white and interior is brown - not my first choice), with some minor body damage.

I'm looking at doing some minor modifications and wanted everyone's feedback. Here is what I have planned so far,

Vitesse AFM Chip, 3 bar fpr, Accuboost mbc, k&n drop-in air filter, 3" exhaust, Tial 38mm wg, boost and a/f gauges.

Am I missing anything? I am considering 55lb injectors, worth while? I am sure the stock injectors are probably worn out after 20 years..

Thanks,
Mike
Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2006, 02:29 PM
eospeed
Racer

Nice buy
Old 04-08-2006, 02:52 PM
JoeN951
Instructor

don't forget you'll need new chips to make a change to 55lb injectors
Old 04-08-2006, 03:13 PM
Brantley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Joe, I wasn't aware of that, thanks. The chip is already on order, so, it sounds like if I need new injectors, I'll just go with stock ones.

Anyone have a good working set for sale?
Old 04-08-2006, 03:17 PM
sillbeer
Pro

Just send the stock injectors to www.witchhunter.com. They will flow them, have them rebuilt with all new parts and then reflow them to show the difference.

-Destin
Old 04-08-2006, 06:26 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya done good.

My theory is to either spend mucho and get a cherry one with everything already done to it, or get a cheapo and then do everything right. I prefer the second option, as that way, you KNOW it's done right, how, and when.

At your purchase price, you can add an LSD, chips, suspension, swap the interior, detail or refurbish the paint, new tires/wheels, etc. and still come out ahead of an average price for an '86. That way, if wrecked or stolen, you're not underwater on equity.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:40 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's another thought that may be of use to you, being in SoCal:

Per post on Bimmerforums, one of the E24 guys reported a few months back that he'd gotten a complete refurbishing of his BMW 635csi leather interior in or around San Ysidro, for $1,200. This was reportedly same-day service, where they removed the upholstery in the morning, replaced all the leather with new stuff taylored on-site, and had the car back on the road by closing time. I do not know if this included headliner or carpet work, buy may have. If I had a color that did not float my boat in a ~$2,100 Porsche 951, and lived in SoCal, I'd look into this.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:39 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sillbeer
Just send the stock injectors to www.witchhunter.com. They will flow them, have them rebuilt with all new parts and then reflow them to show the difference.

-Destin
Just got a set back from them on Rhobs car, they do great work!
Old 04-08-2006, 08:32 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats. Your paint is turning yellow from all the years of wear and pollution. A good detail is in order. That's a hell of a deal. If you don't detail yourself, come out to Vegas, I'll hook you up with my detailer and get your interior done as we have very good interior places, cheap. Great group of guys that do outstanding work. Custom too. Very reasonable. The detail will be expensive but you can see my car and decide if you want your car to look like that. It will definitely raise the value of your car to easily match the price of the detail. Good luck. Joe
Old 04-09-2006, 10:39 PM
Brantley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sillbeer, thanks - I will use that site!

Dash01 - The guy I bought it from doesn't really know cars at all, so I got a descent deal. I am "okay" with the paint and interior, I probably won't change them... I'm just going to invest my time and money in maintaining and modding the engine.

Dfastest951 - I'm gonna try to polish it myself, although I am pretty sure the care was painted in the mid 90's. There is a receipt for it too. I can see places where rubber stripping is painted over that should not be. It is not a bad paint job, just not my color. But, I think I can live with it. (I'd take a black one though! :-).
Old 04-09-2006, 11:40 PM
jy951
Instructor

Originally Posted by sillbeer

-Destin
How will this process make stock injectors flow at the same rate as 55# injectors? Your point doesn't make sense to me. If restored (the FAQs on the company website itself says that they don't rebuild injectors) stock injectors flow better - that still wouldn't make the flow of the restored stock injectors equal to 55# injectors. Otherwise, there would be no need to differentiate between stock, 48#, and 55# injectors because they would all flow the same - which I've been told is not the case - am I missing something in your point?
Old 04-10-2006, 12:09 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Beautiful car! as Dfastest said, could use a detail... and I'm a detailer, and I'm making a trip out to California (going North and South) to detail... Let me know if you'd like to use my services... there is a thread describing everything and prices in OT.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:13 AM
Brantley
Addict
Rennlist Member

I believe he was just saying that if my stock injectors were getting worn out, to get them rebuilt to flow the same as a good set of stock injectors would... not that they would flow more.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:04 AM
Chas
Pro

Vitesse Stage III kit, straightpipe 3" exhaust, upgraded IC, Tial 38mm WG, EBC, AC delete, fog light delete for brake venting...just to name a few minor mods that came to mind...

Quick Reply: Finally back in a 951...