Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

I'm at the End of the Line here: Oil Pressure, again.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006 | 12:01 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

What kind of loctite did you use?
Old 04-21-2006 | 12:09 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Old 04-21-2006 | 12:37 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

One more thing to add to the fire...I found a little too much oil in the j boot. Clean fresh oil. When I pulled the j-boot, oil was seeping out of it. There was a nice little puddle in there. Also looked like the compressor blades had very small chips out of the edges of the blades. I don't know what to do at this point. Going crazy here.
Old 04-21-2006 | 02:07 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 9fitty1
Did you use that to seal the oil pump too?
Old 04-21-2006 | 09:36 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Picture? (of the turbo)

Originally Posted by 9fitty1
One more thing to add to the fire...I found a little too much oil in the j boot. Clean fresh oil. When I pulled the j-boot, oil was seeping out of it. There was a nice little puddle in there. Also looked like the compressor blades had very small chips out of the edges of the blades. I don't know what to do at this point. Going crazy here.
Old 04-21-2006 | 03:54 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

I'll get one for you on Monday, I'll be out of town this weekend.
Old 04-22-2006 | 11:46 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

good luck man. I hope you finally find the problem.
Old 05-22-2006 | 09:02 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Did you ever fix this issue?

I have though about this and have come up with another possible solution. The oil pump drive, as others have noted, is basically a friction connection to the cranckshaft. The crank bolt presses the oil pump drive onto the face of the crankshaft. In time the face of the crankshaft can wear where the oil pump drive contacts it. If this occurs, the oil pump/pully bolt can bottom out and the drive can actually slip, causing low or no oil pressure.

The fix would be to machine a shim (.030 or as needed), install the shim between the cranckshaft and oil pump drive, to take up the clearance on the worn cranckshaft surface.
Old 05-22-2006 | 09:21 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Bill, an interesting observation. I just came across a 911 with overheating problem, after investigation, the bolt that hold the fan to the crank was longer than the original and bottoms out.
Another possibility is that the crank/pump bolt is too long???
Old 05-22-2006 | 09:49 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast951
Bill, an interesting observation. I just came across a 911 with overheating problem, after investigation, the bolt that hold the fan to the crank was longer than the original and bottoms out.
Another possibility is that the crank/pump bolt is too long???
Forgotten washer? Oil or debris in crank hole?
Old 05-22-2006 | 10:13 PM
Claus Groth
Pro

Per Tom's suggestion, when you start installing parts on the crankshaft, the first part is an oring. the second is a washer, perhaps .06 thick. Then the timing pulley and other pulleys. Did you install the washer? Did you install the timing pulley with the flange toward the front?
Old 05-23-2006 | 01:07 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

I have taken a break from working on the car for a little. Had other projects I have been working on. That is also something to look into, Bill, thanks. First thing I plan on doing as the engine is only TT bolts away from being out again is pressurize the oiling system. Between the pickup tube and where the oil galleries go to the OPRV. If I am thinking correctly...that should all be sealed up. Then I should be able to find a leak..if there is one. If not I will look elsewhere. I'll be sure to bump this thread up later and let you know what it is. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2006 | 04:16 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Ok, so another update. I attempted to pressurize the system as best I could, not an easy thing to do. I could not find any leaks but working on it alone is not very easy. Trying to pressurize it, listening for leaks and holding the pressure gun. It's a little difficult. So I pulled the pump again. The crank bolt/pullies/washer/O ring/oil drive gear all fit in perfectly and fine. As mentioned before my pickup/OPRV/gauge are all fine. The problem is elsewhere. The pump seems to pump ok when I attach a drill to the drive gear and spin the pump. Not sure how accurate this can be but the pump does pump some oil. It was also fine in the car before this motor. I am nearly sure that the problem is an air leak now, like Chris White mentioned. Before the pump so it does not leak oil out but sucks air in. What do you think the next step should be? Strip the block down, again, and have the front machined along with getting the crank girdle/ oil pump machined? Suggestions? I am running so low on patience, time and money at this point. Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Old 06-19-2006 | 08:57 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just curious on a couple of things, for all of our benefits, and certianly not at your expense:

1. Did you use the clear seal(that comes in the lower seal kit) for the oil pick up tube or did you use the black one that is specifially listed in PET and the parts and technical reference? I've used both
2. Did you apply the 574 with the roller or sponge roller or was it lay a bead out and spread it with your finger? I've also done it both ways
3. I think you mentioned the girdle and block were flush when you put them together or did you have to freeze the girdle to get it flush or do any work on it with an oil stone?
Old 06-20-2006 | 02:12 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

1.) I used the clear seal for the oil pickup tube.

2.) I applied the 574 with a bead then spead with my finger.

3.) I did not have to freeze or use oil stone on the girdle, it sits flush.

Quick Reply: I'm at the End of the Line here: Oil Pressure, again.