Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

I'm at the End of the Line here: Oil Pressure, again.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 11:00 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike B
When you mounted the housing did you use the 'specific tool' to line up the housing? Your symtoms indicate you probably have it aligned but I thought I would ask. Also, given the electrical readings/problems that are caused by bad grounds, do you still have the original grounds or have you updated?

I'm pretty sure I have a '86 housing or two if you need one.

Yeah, I honestly think that alignment tool is a complete joke. All one has to do is tighten the OPRV first and done. Aligned.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:10 PM
dganapol
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand you have to re-do (do) the loctite on the girdle. But did you also loctite the oil pump? Just me $.02

david 87 951 burg
Old 04-09-2006, 11:12 PM
jacklet
Racer

remove the elect sensor and thread in an adaptor, i think i still have one(made a test set-up for just such occasions) if you can't find one let me know. i'll loan you my test rig
Old 04-09-2006, 11:17 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 9fitty1
1 Bar at idle is NOT normal on a 951.
And certainly isn't normal on THAT engine. Derek bought that engine from me and it never fell below 2.5 bar at idle before the rebuild. Something's definitely up.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:28 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dganapol
I understand you have to re-do (do) the loctite on the girdle. But did you also loctite the oil pump? Just me $.02

david 87 951 burg
Yeah, but I would know if I didn't because it would leak.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:39 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jacklet
remove the elect sensor and thread in an adaptor, i think i still have one(made a test set-up for just such occasions) if you can't find one let me know. i'll loan you my test rig
Thanks. I will let you know.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:55 AM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 9fitty1
Yeah, I honestly think that alignment tool is a complete joke. All one has to do is tighten the OPRV first and done. Aligned.
Just a thought. Good luck with it.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:21 AM
JDeitz951
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Did you replace the o-ring seal at the top of the oil pickup tube where it goes into the girdle. My looked in good condition but in fact it had shrunk to much smaller than the new one.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:46 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Yup, I replaced it when I first did the motor rebuild and then when I had it back apart again it was still perfect and sealed just as well as the first time.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:02 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

I think I have narrowed it down to a cracked pickup. The oil cooler housing are the same for sure. I just put in a thicker oil to see what happened. I figured with a cracked pickup the oil pressure would increase with thicker oil. But I started it and the pressue was worse. Which confused me but...if you think about drinking out of a straw (pickup) in a cup of water(thin oil). If the straw (pickup) is cracked and you may get some water (thin oil) up the straw (pickup). But if you have a shake (thick oil) not much of it will make it up the straw (pickup). Make sense? Wed I will be pulling the pan....again. Thanks for the advice so far.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:46 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Ouch.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:05 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, I think you guys are all tuned into this but just to review the obvious, and BTW THE most common re-assembly error... Derek...you said you checked the crank bolt, I assume that means you checked its torque. But if the PS pulley is not mounted in the right sequence the amount of torque won't matter. Just humor me and do one quick check, when the engine is running, look down at the crank's power steering pulley. Is it wobbling or is it true? Wobbling, problem found. True, OK I'l shut up & go back to sleep. ...Bruce
Old 04-12-2006, 01:12 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by F18Rep
OK, I think you guys are all tuned into this but just to review the obvious, and BTW THE most common re-assembly error... Derek...you said you checked the crank bolt, I assume that means you checked its torque. But if the PS pulley is not mounted in the right sequence the amount of torque won't matter. Just humor me and do one quick check, when the engine is running, look down at the crank's power steering pulley. Is it wobbling or is it true? Wobbling, problem found. True, OK I'l shut up & go back to sleep. ...Bruce

I don't care how ridiculous you think your thoughts may be. I want to hear everything. Anything helps. Not sure how you could screw that up though? If you put the washer on backwards? But then how would you get a good torque on the bolt?
Old 04-12-2006, 01:42 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not about the washer being on backwards. Here's the short version of how I tripped over this problem...Its kinda hard to explain

Above (left) you can see how the crankshaft extends through the camshaft drive gear. But when you first place the gear on the crank it seldom will settle into this position (without first running in the crankbolt to seat the gear). My problem occurred when I tried to seat both the balance gear and mount the PS pulley at once. I slipped them together on the crankshaft and "ran-in" the bolt. It looked OK but what I didn't notice was that the PS pulley had gotten cocked (not centered) & and all of the bolt pressure was then placed on the forward edge of the crankshaft (instead of on the face of the crankshaft drive gear). This prevented the pressure from being applied to the oil pump drive sleeve, which resulted in no oil pressure (some have reported intermittent oil pressure with this problem). When this happens a half-moon shaped indentation is made around the hole of the PS pulley. Sometimes this indentation is severe & and requires a new pulley. On a running engine, you'll know this is the problem because the pulley will wobble. With this problem corrected, I had oil pressure and was finally able to bring the engine up to temp.

If you're experiencing oil pressure problems - it only takes a minute to look for "the wobble" - and its an easy fix too! ....Bruce
Old 04-12-2006, 02:10 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Will do, thanks!

Quick Reply: I'm at the End of the Line here: Oil Pressure, again.