951 racer

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 10:20 AM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRealLefty
The OE Matter cage is indeed a cool novelty and rare as hen's teeth. Matter made all the Turbo Cup and eary Carrera Cup roll bars and cages and was even listed as a series sponsor in 86 European Turbo Cup. I have a series championship poster of same listing Dunlop, Shell, Matterand Bosch as such. Familiar names in the series included Roland Asch, Kurt Thiim, Joachim Winklehock and Jorg van Ommen...all of whom become DTM and Carrera Cup stars during the 1990's.
So does it have a hook to history. Yes. Is that the reason to buy it. No.
Agreed. I'd buy it for the Kelly Moss dry sump engine and that sweet suspension...!

Re: Matter; as a side note, Winfried Matter moved to Shanghai China and now operates Matter Motorsports, a motorsport consulting business. One of his main goals is to promote racing in China. He has put a very informative history/timeline of Matter Motorsports up on his site (click on "About Us"). See the pic from 1986 of all the 951s outside his shop in Germany, waiting for cages. Note: You'll need Flash to view the site.
http://www.matter-motorsport.net/
Old 03-31-2006, 10:28 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leaned, eh. Really COULD be my car then! It doesn't lean that much these days with the rear coil overs but the plastic rear sills are so worn that you can see the driveway through them when you look downward through rear wheel wells

Quick Reply: 951 racer