Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Friendly speed contest 951 vs 928

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 10:24 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by D944tech
Today I was driving on the same hwy when I spotted the 928 again. To make the story short, he bought the car from his neighbor who moved out of the state last month for $ 3500.00. The car is a 79 automatic and it does have a supercharger but is having some mechanical problems, it’s running very rich. The owner is a fine black male who sold his Cadillac El dorado to buy the 928 he doesn’t have the slightest idea where to get it fixed so I recommended a few shops in the Los Angeles area. He gave me a ride in his car and boy it’s comfortable and very smooth just like a Caddy. He thinks his el dorado had more power, but I can’t wait until he tunes that car and unleashes the power of that beast. One funny thing - he had a little mini bar in the rear seat. I also gave him a ride in my 951 and he said that was a harsh ride, that I needed to check my air suspension, lol.

Sounds like he is not a real Porsche-type.
I can see having some difficulties with the sc 928 engine. It is not a simple engine to supercharge and I have seen many of them laid up being repaired.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:32 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by D944tech
Today I was driving on the same hwy when I spotted the 928 again. To make the story short, he bought the car from his neighbor who moved out of the state last month for $ 3500.00. The car is a 79 automatic and it does have a supercharger but is having some mechanical problems, it’s running very rich. The owner is a fine black male who sold his Cadillac El dorado to buy the 928 he doesn’t have the slightest idea where to get it fixed so I recommended a few shops in the Los Angeles area. He gave me a ride in his car and boy it’s comfortable and very smooth just like a Caddy. He thinks his el dorado had more power, but I can’t wait until he tunes that car and unleashes the power of that beast. One funny thing - he had a little mini bar in the rear seat. I also gave him a ride in my 951 and he said that was a harsh ride, that I needed to check my air suspension, lol.

Smooth ride? I guess that's the consensus, soft air ride like a hearse.lol
Old 03-29-2006, 11:09 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have a 928 S4, by all means do what ever it takes to put the rear muffler bypass or RMB on it. You will not regret the fantastic sounds. And don't gut the cats you will ruin the sound and only gain about 8 whp.

My 90 GT 5 speed was not as fast 0-100 as my 88 Turbo S with Welt chips. Both cars well tuned and with suspension mods the 928 was only 1 second a lap slower on a 70 second lap time trial course. I took both cars to the same event twice. Both times set best time with the 944 and second best time with the 928. Even professional drivers find the limits of the 928 a lot faster than they think. I had a video where the driver for Motor Trend talked about taking 25 tries at a corner trying to get a drift for a photo shoot. He said instead of drifting the car just turned.

For tours and highway trips the 928 wins hands down. It's the only car I've been able to manage averaging 100 mph for a 500 mile drive including stop for gas and food...AND feel like I only drove across town once I got there.

All that being said, after driving a 944 turbo the 928 feels slower. That turbo boost is the object of my addiction.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:14 AM
Lance J
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark i dont think your crazy lol getting my senors tps, map ect. mounted preparing for CIS to EFI muhahahah 4.5 liter, euros heads 1 bar of boost and good bye tires.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:21 AM
MarkRobinson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

RKD: I love the feel of a turbo coming on as well, that's why all my Porsche's are turbocharged.

Seriously though (not talking to RKD), a well-tuned 928 makes 280/280 pretty easily & the 5-speed makes all the difference. They are really fun cars...and anyone "driving" one without suspension updates (since the cars are this old now), is not doing himself any favors. Yes, chips & boost mods on a 951 will make a quicker car, & they remain more nimble, but you really shouldn't criticize a 928 until you've driven a well-sorted 5-speed (all you 951er's stuck on the 951).

Quick Reply: Friendly speed contest 951 vs 928