Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 05:45 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the sales manager name? Mike something......
Old 03-16-2006, 06:20 PM
OUNATE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boon Hall is the manager I spoke with. Keith... I don't remember his last name is the sales rep. that I talked to. I like the sales department there but the maintenance department I can't stand they won't do anything for their customers as far as warranty work and pulling string with the manufacturers to get stuff covered.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:40 PM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Nate, PM sent
Old 03-16-2006, 08:54 PM
OUNATE
Instructor

Thanks artie, I'll let you know how it works out. Both Boon and keith said it was an immaculate car so I'm hoping it works out. Thanks for all the info.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:17 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Car looks clean from the pics but further inspection suggests the car has been tracked. The rear seat back has been removed as well as the rear seat belts, this would suggest either a redline rollbar or harness bar was installed in its previous life, also new tires. Does not mean the car is not worth purchasing but i would inspect or have someone familiar with these cars inspect it further. Suspension, particularly control arms/brakes/engine. Any modifications?
This should at least give you some bargaining power.
Just my 2 cents. Best of luck.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:43 AM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

My MKIV GTI was in a crash about a month ago (don't let the brother drive...) and I have been driving the 951 instead every day.

At this point, I don't really care about getting the GTI back, even though the 951 has all kinds of 20 year old car issues, it is SO MUCH FUN.

On the other hand, it is 20 years old. It has some issues.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:58 AM
OUNATE
Instructor

yeah I'm thinking it may be kinda a stupid choice to sell an almost new gti for a 20 year old car with over twice the miles. We'll see how saturday goes, if this car doesn't work out I'll most likely upgrade to a GT28rs on the GTI and see how it goes, save some money and get into a porsche once i get a pilot slot.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:07 AM
wi54545
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OUNATE
yeah I'm thinking it may be kinda a stupid choice to sell an almost new gti for a 20 year old car with over twice the miles. We'll see how saturday goes, if this car doesn't work out I'll most likely upgrade to a GT28rs on the GTI and see how it goes, save some money and get into a porsche once i get a pilot slot.

Trying to go ANG or active duty? I'm too old now, but wish I did! The wife was not too keen on the military though, but did let me get another 951. Airlines suck, stay away. Anyways, I will be selling my second '86 951 soon for much much less than that with full records FWIW. Good luck with the car!
Old 03-17-2006, 09:36 AM
pk951
Burning Brakes

It might be a good idea to look at 87 model.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:43 AM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

I'm new here too, but we do have a few things in common...

I got a MkIV Golf (I had to have a 4-door... dog & family to consider! -and no 4-door GTIs sold in the US....bummer!) I got one of the first ones in the US after driving a MKIV in 1998 al the way across France. Since the 2.0 was the biggest motor you could get in a 4-door, I ended up supercharging it with one of the first kits to come out for the MkIV. I've got 120,000 miles on it now, and I've been on VWVortex since the very early days.

Last week I agreed to purchase my friend's '89 951, which has always been the gold standard for maintenance, as far as I'm concerned. I'm picking the car up after he gets back to town in a few week's time. His car has over 200,000 miles on it.

I've driven a 951 before (though not for about 10 years), and raced in a national VW championship back in the early 90's, when I still lived in the UK, so my affection is pretty evenly split between VWs and Porsches. -I think that the MkIV and the 951 is a very handy combination... I can get a 12-foot christmas tree in the VW, and it's peppy, though not as much of a riot as the P-car!

...All in all, I'm very eager to get the car and start having all sorts of fun again!

Keith
Old 03-17-2006, 11:46 AM
OUNATE
Instructor

Originally Posted by wi54545
Trying to go ANG or active duty? I'm too old now, but wish I did! The wife was not too keen on the military though, but did let me get another 951. Airlines suck, stay away. Anyways, I will be selling my second '86 951 soon for much much less than that with full records FWIW. Good luck with the car!

Yeah ANG appyling all over the place but mainly up here at Rickenbacker. I've been enlisted here for 3 years as a crew chief and love it. Are you flying for the airlines? i've got a few buddies that are guard bums and fly for DHL on the side some as FE's and a few FO's. I'm still working on my ratings right now so hopefully next year I'll be putting my name in and trying to get an interview. If you sell your car LMK I'd make a drive for a nice car. Thanks
Old 03-18-2006, 10:53 AM
wi54545
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OUNATE
Yeah ANG appyling all over the place but mainly up here at Rickenbacker. I've been enlisted here for 3 years as a crew chief and love it. Are you flying for the airlines? i've got a few buddies that are guard bums and fly for DHL on the side some as FE's and a few FO's. I'm still working on my ratings right now so hopefully next year I'll be putting my name in and trying to get an interview. If you sell your car LMK I'd make a drive for a nice car. Thanks

Being a guard bum is the best deal going. I wish I did it a couple of years ago, it would be nice to have a backup to the airlines. I'm currently trying to get out of my company and get on with Fedex or Continental. That military card is a trump card for the former airline. In regards to your 951 search, my former 951 is back for sale in Birmingham, AL. I sold that car in 2004 when I was getting married. It was in excellent condition with a perfect interior and a 9/10 exterior. It is totally stock with LSD. The guy that bought it from me is asking 12,000, (a little high for an '86, but we need to bring the resale of these cars up!) I sold it to him for around 10k. It has 84,000 miles, I sold it to him with 78,000. I have tons of pics if you want. He is selling it because he is sinking money into the biodiesel thing. My Silver 951 that I am getting ready to sell is nice, but not as nice as my former '51 in B-ham. It has higher miles though at around 130,000, but belts were done about 10 miles ago and clutch has 20k on it as well as the water pump. Doesn't leak either! PM me if interested in either. Good luck with that pilot slot!
Old 03-18-2006, 11:15 AM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Nate,

You know Alan Kline over there at Rickenbacker? Tell him his boy Micah Jones said hello and that he's the dirtiest old man I know

And you're a smart man for going guard.

Micah <------ other side of the fence.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:27 PM
OUNATE
Instructor

Alan Kline sounds really familiar??? I can't put the name with a face but if I see him I'll let him know you said hello. I'm actually doing a short TDY to NY then out to Califonia NAS and back so I may see him in the next week or so. Is he a crew chief?

As far as the car goes I drove it today. It runs really good, it's been repainted not the greatest paint job but I think with a bit of buffing it'll look better. There still asking too much $12,500 so I may go back in and make them an offer of $11,000. Tax title out the door. If there's anyone in the columbus area that feels like taking a look at it with me tomorrow or monday shoot me an e-mail at Socks29@aol.com, I'd buy some beers afterwards. Thanks for everyones help.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:47 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, I haven't got back with you. We went and bought a parts car today. 11k would be a good deal on that car. Did you ask them about the whole being tracked thing?

My schedule is pretty jammed this weekend. Can you take it to another shop to get a PPI. Epr automotive is who I use. 873-3401

Quick Reply: NEWBIE