Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

OT: Glad I don't live in CA. Any lawyers here???

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 03:55 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toddk911
Last I checked a "big tach with a shift light" is not commiting a crime.
Are you stupid or something? Listen and look at the video and you'll get the point of looking for a big tachometer.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:55 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tms951
So glad I don't live in califoria, I guess I just value my freedom to much.
So glad I live in Ca!

My response in the thread posted about this in OT:
its amazing how I don't get hassled in the Porsche. (though I am typically a slow and sane street driver) I pulled off the freeway a couple months back and a motorcycle cop pulled up behind me at the light. My loud exhaust idle, reaking of lack of cat, roll bar clearly visable inside through the hatch, with the 2 "street racing seats" I thought for sure I have problems. Anyone that knows anything about cars knows what the lack of cat smeels like. Light turns green, I go, with my loud exhuast. He made no effort to follow me or anything, just kept on going on his way. I was astounded, but this is farily typical with the 951 if I'm not calling attention to myself at WOT etc. My civic otoh, will be a bit more worrysome to me, since I'm swapping the motor. (yea, dawg! its for MAD street racing!)
Old 03-14-2006, 03:59 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

I didn't realize the Police (a government agency) could copyright. Or any thing the police maintained was not public record.

But this has gotten more political then car oriented so, probably for the best
Old 03-14-2006, 04:07 PM
SchnellerUmsetzer
Drifting

Originally Posted by sweanders
Are you stupid or something? Listen and look at the video and you'll get the point of looking for a big tachometer.
Sweanders,
No body is stupid. Alot of American cars w/Manuel Trannys did not come equiped with Tach's Stock from the factory. Now when you go to Autozone or Advanced Auto to buy one they all look High Performance, and you could be Joe Kid with a stiffy that wants to just look cool for the hot chicks. Or Mr. 0-60 Speed racer and both have the same Tach.

The problem is that were are forcing Law Enforcment Officers to be on the spot experts of modern High performance systems.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:19 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still don't see the point. If someone has a tach with a shift light that surely can mean that the person driving has an interest in wringing the most performance out of the car. It is probably a very good chance that other modifications that are not legal are found as well.

I very much understand that it is inconvenient if you have a car with illegal parts, but it is still the law.

I myself have been stopped several times, both in CA. and in Sweden and the car has gone through a road side inspection. There has always been something illegal with the car and it is a risk that I have taken. The modifications I have had have in no way had to do with smog but have been to low thread wear and lack of plates and once a faulty headlight. I don't blame the police for this - it is all work that they have been trained to do. Driving in California I have seen some cars that would never pass the safety demands in EU countries and I don't think that it is a bad thing that the police awareness is increased.

And this is only one police instruction video, I am sure that there are others for pretty much everything car related you can think of.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:21 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by toddk911
Because modifying your car is not a crime
Except in California, where modifying your car with parts unapproved for your specific application is actually illegal.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:02 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Like every other law, what this gives the officer is a means to get the bad guy.

Another words, if you are driving like a J@ck@ss on the street, and your car has "HOT ROD" stickers/wings/loud exhaust/etc, then he can legaly pull you over. After that, what the bad guy has provided, action, circumstance, will determine what the officer will need to do to get/keep bad guy off of the streets.

So the moral of the story is, DONT drive like a J@ck@ss on the street, DONT rice out your car, DONT wake a sleeping dragon and you probably will never be bothered in California.

Complain about California all you want, but some people want to be the bad guy. Just because they were born, they expect the public/law to tolerate them and what they do. Bad guys are only sorry AFTER they are caught, sorry that they GOT caught, never sorry for what they DID to get caught.

Don't be the bad guy!

Last edited by Bill; 03-14-2006 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:28 AM
por4ever
Instructor

What if my car is registered in another state? I am a CA native And will be returning soon. My car is registered in VA now. Does anyone know if that will get me out of the inspection?

I also heard that they can impound your car on the spot never to be seen again. Anyone know for sure?

I think the intent of CARB is good. Air quality in CA is terrible is many places. I just think they are going after the wrong people with the enforcement.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:28 AM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Your car will have to be compliant to be registered in CA. Are you military & retaining your VA residence? If so you may be able to keep the car registered here in VA, but I don't know for sure.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:28 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"Are you stupid or something? Listen and look at the video and you'll get the point of looking for a big tachometer."

Well, I live in the USA with rights and freedoms from, supposedly, from the Police , or maybe in your country you would call them the Gestapo? and infringing on those rights whenever the Police feels like. By specifically targeting a "big tachometer, Porsche badge, round muffler, BBS wheels" they are infingeing on my rights. Maybe in Sweeded that is standard fair.

Maybe if you put a sticker of the flag of Sweeden in your window and they pulled you over in CA for that and no other reason, you would understand my point.

"Except in California, where modifying your car with parts unapproved for your specific application is actually illegal."

Correct. It is illegal, just like speeding or jay walking. NOT A CRIME. A law being broken and a crime being commited are two very different acts. Like if you got pulled over for speeding and the cop decides he wants to search your vehicle; he can not without your permission, court order (warrant).

Your car is the same as your home. If the police got called because your music was too loud, would you expect them to say "we are going to search your house and bedrooms, etc.???
Old 03-15-2006, 10:30 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Bill: I agree 100%. if you draw attention to yourself , get ready for the circumstances. but the intent of that video was to find any reason, regardless of the driver's actions, to target "hot rodded cars", pull them over and find any thing they can wrong and rack up a bunch of fines.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:35 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"I still don't see the point. If someone has a tach with a shift light that surely can mean that the person driving has an interest in wringing the most performance out of the car. It is probably a very good chance that other modifications that are not legal are found as well."

If I own a gun store, does that mean I am getting ready to form or be in a militia group and the police or FBI should watch me, my house or business. Constantly inspect my business or try to search my car and house??

It is very appearant you do not or have not lived in the US for very long. You seem way to ok with governemnt involment in your daily life.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:46 AM
por4ever
Instructor

Originally Posted by ed devinney
Your car will have to be compliant to be registered in CA. Are you military & retaining your VA residence? If so you may be able to keep the car registered here in VA, but I don't know for sure.
I am military but I am also a resident of CA. My car is registered in VA though.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:36 AM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a thread that has been started before, so for the interest in stopping ricer abuse, I humbly submit the following.

(PC speel: There is nothing wrong with being a ricer, if you want to dress up your car and look like a freaking idiot, it's you choice and I will not judge, just splain it to the police man who has lost tolerence in your stupidity)

Anyone that lives in CA, knows this, anyone not living in CA I can only point you to:

www.riceboypage.com

Police have taken a tough love against this bull**** we/I live with. Three times a week I get a ricer that likes to take on a Porsche, I have even seen a ricer with the Porsche badge on the side of the car inside of a red circle with a diag line running through it!!!

I have never had a front license plate on my Porsche in CA and have nver been stopped!!

Prob not PC, but my family all travel CA roads and if it takes this to stop the crap these cars inflict on other drivers, so be it (IMHO)

When I say RICER, I mean the damm car, not the driver!!!
Old 03-16-2006, 01:20 PM
SchnellerUmsetzer
Drifting

The only time police have hassled I and the 951 is when I 100% asked for it. I mean they had no choice but to write a ticket. And then they were they were still well within probable cause to make the decision’s they did!

Honestly, the fart mufflers suck! The sound they make really annoys me. However, the body kits and paint jobs are pretty cool sometimes.

The great part about being American choice and most of the kids that I know that have the Japanese cars do it as a hobby just like the Porsche guys.

Quick Reply: OT: Glad I don't live in CA. Any lawyers here???