Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

*OFFICIAL* Griffin Radiator Group Buy - Friday March 17th Ending Date!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 01:52 PM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would send it back if you can. And just from my experience, in my GT-3s track/street car. Even in a 45 minute race, middle of summer, in the south...my nearly 20 year old radiator keeps the temp gauge firmly in the middle. And that is with 23psi of boost and the AC still installed. The nose is vented (AIR I think) and I did ceramic coat the headers...but then I'm running more boost than most people consider sane. Still, I find it hard to believe a bigger radiator is needed by many people at all, in my very humble opinion. My car has been running this way for the 8 or so years I've owned/flogged it without any temp problems. Road atlanta is a LOT of wide open running and she loves that track, even in the middle of summer. Homestead, sebring, moroso, roebling...never a problem and anyone who has run there in the summer can attest to the heat.

Bill
89 beastie
Old 07-10-2006, 02:47 PM
Got Me a Porsha
Racer

Originally Posted by billindenver
I would send it back if you can. And just from my experience, in my GT-3s track/street car. Even in a 45 minute race, middle of summer, in the south...my nearly 20 year old radiator keeps the temp gauge firmly in the middle. And that is with 23psi of boost and the AC still installed. The nose is vented (AIR I think) and I did ceramic coat the headers...but then I'm running more boost than most people consider sane. Still, I find it hard to believe a bigger radiator is needed by many people at all, in my very humble opinion. My car has been running this way for the 8 or so years I've owned/flogged it without any temp problems. Road atlanta is a LOT of wide open running and she loves that track, even in the middle of summer. Homestead, sebring, moroso, roebling...never a problem and anyone who has run there in the summer can attest to the heat.

Bill
89 beastie
The problem most encounter here in Arizona is the stopping rather than the running. My cars are perfectly content buzzing around town on a 113° day, unless they end up on any of our overrun freeways between 3 and 6pm, which just happens to be "rush hours" and the hottest part of the day. Stop-and-go traffic, a/c blowing, and 150°+ air coming off the asphalt wreaks havoc with these cooling systems.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:02 PM
Got Me a Porsha
Racer

Originally Posted by nize
okay the photos are up.

so you tell me, would you pay $500 for something like this ? i just bought an all-metal aftermarket radiator for my audi that was bigger than this for under $200 and it had better craftsmanship than the griffin.
I wouldn't pay $500 for something like this, but I'd happily pay $405 for this! Personally, I'm not hanging the damn thing over my mantle, I'm cooling my daily driver with it. If it keeps my car cool, and I don't have to worry about the end tanks leaking, the nipple breaking off, or twenty years of crud clogging the tubes...then HELL YES I'd spend the extra $146.

Thanks again Matt for the hard work you put in to this GB. Most of us are satisfied, and appreciate the effort you put forth.

Also, FWIW, an all-aluminum performance radiator for a 2005 mustang is $650...and there's a billion mustangs out there!
Old 07-10-2006, 03:07 PM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

Is that with a known good stock radiator, or one that is corroded and clogged up? My car sits in florida and texas rush hours without any difficulty with AC blowing snow out of it (gotta love R-12). I haven't been to arizona, but if 105 degrees in southern florida is held to the first hash on my temp gauge...it just seems strange to me to hear our radiators are undersized. Hard to imagine rush hour more parking lot like than miami or orlando. Though without driving to arizona I will hold well short of sounding certain. Just because I've never experienced the problem, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. :-)

Bill
Old 07-10-2006, 11:27 PM
reno928s
Pro

The plug needed for the radiator is a 10mm 1.0. I bought it at Home Depot. Along with a variety of different rubber washers and o rings. I hope I can seal it against the F*cked up weld. Make sure you have good thickness between the bolt and the radiator, cause the threads are not flush with the head bolt. I install high end kitchen and baths and if I did work in the same manner that they made this radiator I would be out of business. And yes even the pipes behind the walls and floors I make plumb and level and no one is ever going to see them, It's about pride in your craftmanship. It takes the same amount of time to do it right vs wrong so why not make it right.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:43 PM
OVERBOOST
Rennlist Member

Well I'll say it again.....although it is not perfect, and nothing ever is, I am still happy with my purchase.
I have seen much worse on far better cars than mine. As far as the weld quality; with my 5 short years of aluminium TIG experience I find the welds to be better than average....
Old 07-10-2006, 11:58 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Reno928:

Thanks for the information on the plug, I was hoping someone would post that.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:56 AM
Kevin M
Instructor

It seems like an 1/8" brass NPT plug fits in the drain hole threads. I lightly tried screwing one in, and it went several threads in before getting snug. Do we have a concensus as to what fits in there?
Thanks,
Kevin
Old 07-12-2006, 01:18 AM
nize
Banned

maybe we can ask griffin?
Old 07-12-2006, 08:53 AM
OVERBOOST
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin M
It seems like an 1/8" brass NPT plug fits in the drain hole threads. I lightly tried screwing one in, and it went several threads in before getting snug. Do we have a concensus as to what fits in there?
Thanks,
Kevin
Both the M10 x1.0 and 1/8 NPT work since they are very close in diameter and thread per inch count, 25.4 TPI Vs 27 TPI.
I would suggest using a 1/8th NPT petcock, as per my post a page back, since it will seal better than a straight thread and will allow you to drain the rad in the future.

You could also call Griffin, but why?
Old 07-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by OVERBOOST
Both the M10 x1.0 and 1/8 NPT work since they are very close in diameter and thread per inch count, 25.4 TPI Vs 27 TPI.
IMO it's either one or the other, but not both. An NPT thread is tapered, a regular bolt is not. You might be able to force a 1/8 NPT in there due to the soft aluminum, but if it were my radiator I'd want to know the CORRECT bolt/plug to use...
Old 07-12-2006, 02:19 PM
nize
Banned

which is why i suggested asking griffin for the correct plug size.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:43 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Am I the only one who has received nothing? I was billed at the same time everyone else was.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:47 PM
nize
Banned

i have a local friend here who has also not yet received anything. he signed up late in the buy though, so he's probably at the back of the line.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:54 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paul, give Patrick a call at 800 722-3723. I like to think the later ones have the bugs shook out

I just got off the phone with him and despite my efforts to make sure a sat rad wad shipped, my has shipped and should be here Monday.

My fingers are crossed!

Quick Reply: *OFFICIAL* Griffin Radiator Group Buy - Friday March 17th Ending Date!