Looking for a 951 A arm Ball Joint replacement kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 03:07 PM
ENGINEERMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking for a 951 A arm Ball Joint replacement kit

Hi all:

While I have my car apart to do the Oil Pan gaskets and a few other maintenance items. I was thinking of rebuilding the ball joints for the A-Arms. The ball joint is spring loaded and I was told that you can get a replacement kit to rebuild the internal components (spring, ball joint and ball joint bearing surface or something like that).

In looking at the assembly there is a bottom stamped metal disc that holds the spring up against the bearing which guides the ball joint. This stamped metal plat is is held in the a-arm by a snap ring.

I am certain that I can disassemble it but need a source for the parts. I do not want to buy a new a-arm for big$$$$ when all that needs to be replaced is really just the ball joint bearing (and maybe a new spring and rubber boot.

Anyone done this before or know where I can get the parts or of a service that will do it for me? Please advise.

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2006, 03:11 PM
SchnellerUmsetzer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me too!

I am thinking about doing the same thing. My 951 has the old Ball joints on the A-Arms. I wanted to install the new ones with the grease fitting on the bottom. Somebody recommend to me www.Rennbay.com.
Has anybody used these before?
Can a Novice, like me, install them?
Old 03-06-2006, 03:30 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, rennbay has nice kits with everthing, now I think they offer bronze/brass bushing as well. Yes you can do it yourself, you can scrib marks on your suspension to get you back close but get it aligned after, which is a good time to replace the front bushing as well and update the castor blocks if you haven't done so already.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:36 PM
steve944online
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I CARRY THE ARMS ALREADY REBUILT $185 EXCHANGE CALL ME TOLL FREE 866 944 7883
Old 03-06-2006, 03:58 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive used the Rennbay kits twice now, first time the basic kit. It didnt last long since my A-arms are worn, so the plastic bushing cups died an ugly death. This is obviously not a problem with Rennbays kit. Ive upgraded to the track kit with the brass bushings, which should last longer.

Overall, great kits as is to be expected from Travis.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:13 PM
ENGINEERMAN
Rennlist Member

Default Thanks for all of the good input!

Hi Gang:

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for! You guys are great!

Steve944 what all do you replace in the rebuild, what is included. I have a shop at my disposal and can do the work myself if it comes to replacing the cups, springs, etc. Please advise.

Best regards!

Tom
Old 03-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

2nd that for Rennbays kit. It's not hard, but it is time consuming (~3hours for your first one, 1 hour for the 2nd). Might as well do it when you are ready for an alignment though. Scribing didn't work all that well for me.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:59 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Go with the brass bushing kits, whether it's from Rennbay or SSI. I have both in my cars, and they've stood the test of time. Brass bushings is the definitive upgrade. Good luck.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:51 AM
ENGINEERMAN
Rennlist Member

Default Has anyone used the Camber Corrected set?

I spoke with Tanner at Rennbay. He stated that his metal bushings are aluminum bronze, brass is not a good bearing material so make sure that what ever you buy is not straight brass.

Also, Tanner offers a set that has a longer stem on the ball joint that is specifically designed for cars that have been lowered. He says that it positions the the a-arm in the proper location to prevent ball jont binding and also keeps the camber adjustment more accurate, i.e. preventing positive camber as the suspension goes through it's motion under compression.

Has anyone ever used that kit? If yes do you concurr, are you happy with it? Please advise.

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2006, 12:03 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Have you thought of upgrading to the oil pan brackets that My Swiss sells? Might be a good idea while you are doing the pan gasket. Others have used it with great success.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:45 PM
ENGINEERMAN
Rennlist Member

Default Hi PK951

I am not familiar with "Oil pan brackets" . I was planning on welding in a baffle kit to help reduce risk of oil starvation during hard cornering as well as reinforcing the oil pick up tube. What is it that you are suggesting, please advise and if possible send a link.

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2006, 02:51 PM
steve944online
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

everything that comes in the kits from travis is replaced in the arms if the pressed in bushings are bad those are replaced as well
Old 03-13-2006, 09:36 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Default Solid bushing ball joint review

I have purchsed and installed the rennbay solid bushing ball joint kit in my 86 951.
reasonably easy rebuild from my perspective. Patience is required.
Happy so far, only 1k miles on them but I would do it again.
I opted for greasable as well.

Last edited by 2bridges; 03-13-2006 at 11:48 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 03-13-2006, 10:27 PM
rcatherton
Instructor

I purchased the ball joint kit from SSI because both the lower cup and upper cap were bronze. I ended up destroying the retaining rings getting them out and the SSI kit I recieved did not include new retaining rings, so I ordered those parts from Rennbay.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:25 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by steve944online
everything that comes in the kits from travis is replaced in the arms...
Replaced with a machined in aftermarket joint that renders the arms useless for future rebuilds with the available kits...

Quick Reply: Looking for a 951 A arm Ball Joint replacement kit