Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Front side-marker light replacement...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 12:34 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front side-marker light replacement...

Any pointers? I've read the Hayes and Porsche car manuals, and understand WHAT to do. Just need to figure out HOW to do it....

I can open the little trap door infront of the wheel, but need an extra joint in my arm to get in and around in that small area.

I haven't taken the wheel off yet - I think it will be easier without that in the way - right?

The bulb is the same as the rear side markers, right? (Bayonet type)

Help!
-Z.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:58 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

Hey Z,

I just had my bumper cover off this past weekend (long story, don't ask) and had to remove and re-install the side marker light assemblies.

You may be able to access it through the trap door and the small cutout between the cover and fender liner. If you know what you're feeling for and have small hands you may be able to do it.

The light assembly is held in place by 2 U-shaped trusses, where the ends of the U rest against the bumper cover above and below the light assembly. A stud protrudes from the light assembly and through the center of the U. Held on w/ an 8mm nut.

If you can get your hand in there, you can remove the 2 nuts, slip off the Us, and maneuver the light assembly out of the hole in the bumper cover. If you have to disconnect the electrical lead, well, good luck doing that w/ one hand.

Removing the batwing will give you better access and better sightlines to what you're working on.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:53 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did this through the hole in the fender once in a walmart parking lot. The trick is to turn the front wheel so that it's pointing in at the front (on whatever side you're working on), that will let you open the trap door, and give you some more room.
Other than that, there is some swearing involved, and some wishing you had 2 wrists, more fingers, whatever. But, it is possible
Old 03-06-2006, 03:51 PM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced the bulb in my drivers side marker light. I did mine in the parking lot of Autozone. Zero10 is right turn the tires to the opposite side you are working on and it is possible to get it out there is a gasket around the side marker that I have to replace now because half of it stuck to the fender the other half stuck to the light and it ripped in half when the light came out, other than that it went pretty smooth...
Old 03-06-2006, 05:02 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Thanks for the help, guys.

I did point the tire inward, and when I pulled out the trap door lid, the tire was more in they way! (225-16-50 size tire). But I basically gave up at that point -it was getting dark and cold.

Anyway - if I remove the batwing, can I reach the unit without having to go through the trapdoor? Seems if may take more time and effort, but that method may result in less aggravation and frustraion.

Thanks,
-Z
Old 03-06-2006, 05:09 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

Z, about the same frustration level either way. Try the trap door method first (you may have to pull the wheel). If that doesn't work, drop the batwing. The horns and supports below the light don't make it a piece-of-cake replacement even with the batwing off.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:19 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm, wondering how everyone replaced that bulb. Notice mine just went out over the winter. I guess 20 years is about the life then lol... Mine is the driver side as well. What do you mean by the trap door? I also have bigger tires 225/50/16 on the front, so I hope I can get around it.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:42 PM
Z-man
Race Director

jerome - thanks. I'll take the wheel off and try again via the trap door. Maybe I can get Mrs. Z-man to try it.

-z
Old 03-06-2006, 06:12 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
jerome - thanks. I'll take the wheel off and try again via the trap door. Maybe I can get Mrs. Z-man to try it.

-z
If for some reason you don't have enough room via the trap door, you could remove the inner fender liner. Should take a couple of minutes at the most, you'll have easy access to the light housing thereafter.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:20 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ken D
If for some reason you don't have enough room via the trap door, you could remove the inner fender liner. Should take a couple of minutes at the most, you'll have easy access to the light housing thereafter.
I think that's will be my approach.

Thanks, Ken.
-Z.

Quick Reply: Front side-marker light replacement...