Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

HID's in my 951

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 05:41 PM
Rob951
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile HID's in my 951

I just put some HID's in my 951. Wow, what an improvement!! When I first purchased it it had the stock bulbs that I replaced with some whiter euro style ones (as well as the fog lights). They looked better when looking at the car but when driving at night they didn't shine far enough nor were powerful enough. If it was raining outside, you may as well not even use the headlights as there was no difference from them or just the fogs being on. It was sad, not to mention dangerous. So yesterday I installed 6000K HID's. Amazing. Pure white with a hint of blue. Bit of a tight fit in the engine compartment and I did have to play around in order to get the passenger side lamp to close properly, but well worth the couple of hours it took, and the cost. Not sure if very many others have done this, but I'd like to know if anyone else has. Also pls include any problems you ran into down the road (excuse the pun) as I hope to avoid any. Anyone thinking about doing it, I highly recommend it.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:44 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have any pics? Sounds great. How much?
Old 03-05-2006, 05:59 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

I install and sell HID. I am not looking to sell them on here. I am going to give youi a honest opinion on them. As long as you go with the Hella (german) balist they will work good. The problem is the HID bulbs are ment to be put in a projector headlight so that the beam of lite is aimed correctly. When you put them in a halogen housing you get a very wide dispersal of light. They are illigal in halogen housing. I still install alot of them in hologen housings thou. They look great when you are looking at the car and you see very well out of them too. They can be a little distracting to oncoming traffic when not in projector housings. I have them in my hummer, 911 turbo. I did not put them in my 944 turbo yet, but will. I other thing. Us relays and take the power strait from the battery and use low beam + off the factory wiring to activate the relays. You could run into lights not turning on all the time. Any other questions about them. let me know.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:18 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmm...JBrown, good to know. So conversely, hoping not to hijack too much here. Are you familiar with LED lighting? I am converting my BMW750il to interior LED lighting. I'd like to do it to my 951. Any suggestions, opinions?
Old 03-05-2006, 07:15 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

When you mean LED lighting. Do you mean you are going to put LED bulbs in place of your regular bulbs? I am familiar with LED lighting but were do you want to put it.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:52 AM
Rob951
Advanced

Is there any way to buy and install the projectors in order to have the beam more directed. I'm all ears. Couldn't find any on ebay. As far as the laws go, in most places, any thing other than the stock bulb is illegal, so if I'm going to get a ticket, I'm gonna make it worth it. Also, as far as the LED's go, does anyone know how they work as gauge lights?? I see you can purchase a kit from 9xauto.com but I'm a bit hesitant. I do need to make the gauge cluster lighting better, it's pretty bad right now.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:06 AM
jy951
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rob951
Is there any way to buy and install the projectors in order to have the beam more directed. I'm all ears. Couldn't find any on ebay. As far as the laws go, in most places, any thing other than the stock bulb is illegal, so if I'm going to get a ticket, I'm gonna make it worth it. Also, as far as the LED's go, does anyone know how they work as gauge lights?? I see you can purchase a kit from 9xauto.com but I'm a bit hesitant. I do need to make the gauge cluster lighting better, it's pretty bad right now.
I installed the 9xauto.com kit - it works as advertised - improved my gauge lighting. Have fun taking the cluster out of the dash. If you have an 86 MY (like me) - at least you don't have airbag issues. Have fiun.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:45 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Rob951 there are companies that make projector HID kits that are DOT approved. Most of them are for SUVs. I posted the web site awhile back. I will look for it again and post it. As far as projectors in 944 turbo that is not happening. You can put the HIDs in but they will have a very wide dispersal of light. Still looks great though. I do not do much with LED lighting. Most of the cars i work on have no problems with the light. I do alot of bulb replacements in interiors. A Company named LUKS makes all kind of super white bulbs that we put in the interiors and it is a nice clean lite. WOW I JUST FOUND THE HID DOT APPROVED COMPANY AND THEY DO MAKE PRJECTORS FOR OUR CARS. I am going to see what they go for. ck out the web site. www.acaperformance.com . I have there catalog. I am sure on there site you can look up the projectors for the cars . Part #HID-XP6024B and HID-XP6024-C. I will see what they cost me ( I am a dealer) and will see what i can do if anyone interested. They are a complete kit with the Projector housings all well as bulbs and balist.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:13 AM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

Wouldn't a D2R capsule work better in a halogen style headlight as opposed to a D2S having the incorrect light dispersal?
Old 05-06-2007, 09:11 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

WOW I JUST FOUND THE HID DOT APPROVED COMPANY AND THEY DO MAKE PRJECTORS FOR OUR CARS. I am going to see what they go for. ck out the web site. www.acaperformance.com . I have there catalog. I am sure on there site you can look up the projectors for the cars . Part #HID-XP6024B and HID-XP6024-C. I will see what they cost me ( I am a dealer) and will see what i can do if anyone interested. They are a complete kit with the Projector housings all well as bulbs and balist.

I found this thread, link did not work, any info???????
Old 05-06-2007, 09:37 PM
jturbo
Racer

Rob,

I am looking at installing HID's in my 951 also. How much was the kit and where did you get it?

Do you have any pictures of the lights at night?

Thanks.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:41 PM
Geneqco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrZ1
WOW I JUST FOUND THE HID DOT APPROVED COMPANY AND THEY DO MAKE PRJECTORS FOR OUR CARS. I am going to see what they go for. ck out the web site. www.acaperformance.com . I have there catalog. I am sure on there site you can look up the projectors for the cars . Part #HID-XP6024B and HID-XP6024-C. I will see what they cost me ( I am a dealer) and will see what i can do if anyone interested. They are a complete kit with the Projector housings all well as bulbs and balist.

I found this thread, link did not work, any info???????
Link would not work for me either.

I'd also be interested.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:45 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

DrZ1 did you read my reply to this post. It is 2 replys above yours. I am also a dealer. I will look into why the website is not accessable tomorrow.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:46 PM
tman
Pro

Default custom HID

Here's a few pics of my HID setup. I'm using Infinity projectors and an electric actuator with limiting switches to bring lights up about half from original. I modified headlight trim with fiberglass to cover up the big hole for stock headlight. Light output is much improved.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:48 PM
tman
Pro

Sorry, pics didnt upload.

Quick Reply: HID's in my 951