Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

HID's in my 951

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 10:00 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are just replacement housings. So you dont have to buy sealed beams. I have those in my car. There should not be a D.O.T issue because you can put in an H4 D.O.T approved bulb. You would not even no if they were stock or not buy looking at them. I put H4 HIDs in them. They blow away standard bulbs. I dont remember what car it was that I worked on but one of the car manufactures are putting HIDs in a non projector headlight and they work fine.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:12 AM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JBrown
Those are just replacement housings. So you dont have to buy sealed beams. I have those in my car. There should not be a D.O.T issue because you can put in an H4 D.O.T approved bulb. You would not even no if they were stock or not buy looking at them. I put H4 HIDs in them. They blow away standard bulbs. I dont remember what car it was that I worked on but one of the car manufactures are putting HIDs in a non projector headlight and they work fine.
They come with H4 bulbs....

"SAE and DOT approved in all 50 states. Installs without modifications."
Old 02-19-2010, 02:09 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Yes they will install without modification but you still have a standard halogen headlight set up. They will not give you the light output of an HID system. There is very little modifications to put an HID in these days because the balist are digital and only need 7 amps to start up, so you dont need relays any more. They are basically plug and play. I would not call HID modifications. I would call it more of and installation. You do not have to modify anything
John
Old 02-19-2010, 02:44 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does having HID lights draw more power through the electrical system? I guess the question I'm asking will an upgrade like this cause more problems than it's worth because it's not part of the stock system. I always read threads where the 944/951 can have many electrical issues.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:01 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jy951
I installed the 9xauto.com kit - it works as advertised - improved my gauge lighting. Have fun taking the cluster out of the dash. If you have an 86 MY (like me) - at least you don't have airbag issues. Have fiun.
the cluster removal is a 15 min job in the 87951, with airbag.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:59 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

sebastian944, No if you get a good set. Most of the better new ones come with a mini 50 watt digital balist.
They take 7 amps to start up and once they are on they draw 5amps each. Your factory headlight fuse is either 10 or 15 I think. You can use factory wiring.

Quick Reply: HID's in my 951