Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rebirth of a racecar - project pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 08:38 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys. I figured it was time to post an update. I really haven't had a whole lot of time to work on the car with traveling for work, fun, as well as some cold crappy weather. I was able to get the windows, and power window motor assembly out. I also got the wiring under control. It was actually better than I thought. The car was wired with a Painless wiring harness and the wiring has the function - i.e. power window (+) - stamped on the wire itself for the whole length of the wire which makes it easy to trace which wire is which. So I pulled out all the street car wiring - power windows, horn, etc., which cleans things up substantially.

As you can see the wiring looks a lot better than it did in the initial posts.

Today I spent working on the oh so fun job of stripping the carpet glue off. Dave had used some carpet adhesive on the front portion of the car. I used the 3M adhesive remover which worked pretty well.

Here is where I left off. I have most of the glue out of the passenger side and luckily the drivers side mostly has glue on only the tranny tunnel. I hope to have the stripping done by this weekend so I can spend the weekend sanding and prepping for paint.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:57 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lookin' good Skip. What will you be using for paint?

Luckily you're doing that adhesive removal outside. I did mine last fall when it was too cold to be outside. I got a bit loopy (loopier than normal) from the fumes in the garage.

I saw another Technodyne built 951 on ebay last week. I think it was listed for around $22k, with no bids with 1 day to go. Not sure if it sold or not.

Will this car be ready for 944Fest?

Keep the pics coming!
Old 04-09-2006, 11:32 PM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The race car did not sell for $22k. I could not believe it. That was a great deal for a full race car at that price. If anyone knows the owner please let me know I would like to get in touch with him.
Craig
Old 04-09-2006, 11:45 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

I am going to go with white, but I am not entirely sure what paint I am going to use Ski recommended an Ameron 450H industrial urethane. Any additional recommendations are welcome.

I waited for the weather to break for that specific reason - didn't want to have to smell that stuff in the garage.

My goal is to have the car done and somewhat shaken down by 944 Fest.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:02 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Skip get any work done recently? If I can get mine back on the road anyone can
Old 05-12-2006, 01:56 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MPD47
Skip get any work done recently? If I can get mine back on the road anyone can
lol. Wish that were true.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:03 AM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Single stage paint is a great idea for a race car. However, I would go with an automotive product as it will be easier to handle and achieve a nicer shine. The extra cost is well worth it. Color will be more consistant for future repairs as well. It would be hard to find a product that will match the chemical/abrasion resistance, appearance and ease of application of DuPont Imron 5.0. Cost won't be a factor anyway as whites are pretty cheap. I would stay away from industrial paints as they tend to be very slow drying/curing because they are made for coating large areas.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:57 AM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Hey Mike,

Work on the car has been slower than I would like - tough to find the time. I got all the adhesive removed and have scuff sanded about 70% of the interior. Just need to finish scuff sanding and then feather some of the chips on the roll cage tubing and I am ready for paint. I need to get the red car prepped for going to Beaverun on the 20th so the next couple weekends are out.

Did you decide if you are going to Beaverun?
Old 05-12-2006, 06:59 AM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Burma Shave
Single stage paint is a great idea for a race car. However, I would go with an automotive product as it will be easier to handle and achieve a nicer shine. The extra cost is well worth it. Color will be more consistant for future repairs as well. It would be hard to find a product that will match the chemical/abrasion resistance, appearance and ease of application of DuPont Imron 5.0. Cost won't be a factor anyway as whites are pretty cheap. I would stay away from industrial paints as they tend to be very slow drying/curing because they are made for coating large areas.
The Dupont Imron was one of the paints I was considering. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:40 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Slow and steady, good progress though.

Originally Posted by Skip Wolfe
Did you decide if you are going to Beaverun?
Are there still spots open? I still want to come.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:58 AM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Yes - there are plenty of spots open. You can download the registration, medical, and tech sheet. Also we have it set up so you can paypal the entry fee.

http://www.norpca.org/drivered.html

Hope you can come - should be a good time. Beaverun is a great tack to start the season with - not super technical like Mid-O but has a nice fun rhythm to it.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:24 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Skip Wolfe
My goal is to have the car done and somewhat shaken down by 944 Fest.

You've got a month to make it happen. What's the chances?

I hope to spend a day or two out near Nelson's this month working on the rally. Do you want to join me?
Old 07-04-2006, 02:47 AM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a quick note/input on the paint. I painted a car with DuPont Imron a quite a few years ago - an old 4 cyl. Datsun I had built up a bit. A friend mentioned they thought they saw it in a junkyard a couple years ago, and I should go check out the paint. I did, and couldn't believe how good the paint was after all those years with no help, sitting in the hot California sun. No clear coat, just 4-5 coats of a deep metallic green. If I ever paint a car again, I will definitely be using Imron, hands down.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:26 AM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944Fest (aka Dan P)
You've got a month to make it happen. What's the chances?
Slim to none leaning a lot more towards the none.

Originally Posted by 944Fest (aka Dan P)
I hope to spend a day or two out near Nelson's this month working on the rally. Do you want to join me?
Sure - let me know when.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:42 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I disagree on the paint; industrial urethanes will dry to the touch, on a 80°+ day in about 4 hours. Overnight, they will be hard as a brick. The interior just needs to be protected, especially for a race car and the cost of an industrial urethane compared to Imron or a SSE will also be quite different.

The industrial urethane will also offer great UV resistance, it will be very scratch resistant, touch up will be a breeze as well and the finish will be nice and glossy. Should be less than $75/gallon with activator

BTW Skip, the interior looks great and coming along nicely!!

Quick Reply: Rebirth of a racecar - project pics