Allow myself to introduce myself

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 08:02 PM
BNG
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Allow myself to introduce myself

Hello everyone
My name is Bryan, I live in Kansas City and I am a dedicated Porsche guy. I have now owned three P cars. My first was a 96 993 then a 99 996 and now a 88 944 Turbo. I bought the 944 last fall to use as a track car. Previous owner did all the mods needed to make it a full track car. Have had it out once last fall for a DE at Hallett. The car is a blast. Very fast and very well balanced. Plan on going PCA racing if the money allows. I have attached a few pics.
I have a question concerning a steering problem. The steering wheel will start to shake as I drive. Does not matter what the speed is. Feels like a out of balance wheel but stronger and at any speed. Shaking will stop if I turn steering wheel slightly. The car has manual steering. (Power steering w/o power steering pump). I think it may be the steering rack but don't know. Any suggestions on how and what to check.
Attached Images      
Old 03-02-2006, 08:08 PM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

Dont know about the steering wheel problem, but welcome! Your car looks great. White is an awesome color for these cars.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:18 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi, welcome to Rennlist. Thats a great looking 951 you have there. Anything special done to the motor?
Re: Your steering wheel shake:
When was the last time the car was aligned? Also, it looks like the car is pretty low to the ground with a good bit of negative camber, do you know if anything was done to correct the suspension geometry? Are you running upgraded control arms? Good ball joints? Have you ruled out a flatspotted tire?
Old 03-02-2006, 08:33 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice looking car!!

The wheel might shake if it has a flat spot (hard to do with abs) but if it was tracked he might have pulled the fuse for it. Sound like you might have a flat spot though, thats what my car did when my dad flat spots my michelin pilots after 900 miles..
Old 03-02-2006, 09:15 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad to see you on the board. Since your are from Kansas City, stop over and log onto our local 944 board, www.kcws.org Lots of good people on the board, that are always willing to help with anything!
Old 03-02-2006, 09:21 PM
BNG
7th Gear

Originally Posted by 944 Fanatic
Hi, welcome to Rennlist. Thats a great looking 951 you have there. Anything special done to the motor?
Re: Your steering wheel shake:
When was the last time the car was aligned? Also, it looks like the car is pretty low to the ground with a good bit of negative camber, do you know if anything was done to correct the suspension geometry? Are you running upgraded control arms? Good ball joints? Have you ruled out a flatspotted tire?
Thanks for the welcome.
The motor has had a bigger turbo, modified intercooler and progamable computer installed. On the shaking steering wheel,
I don't think it's a flat spotted tire. Have had same shake with two sets of tires. Could be alignment problem. Previous owner told me it had not been aligned in awhile. Ball joints have been replaced, I was planning on new control arms, guess thats were I will start. Then get a alignment and corner balance. Thanks for the input.
Bryan
Old 03-02-2006, 09:30 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome, nice car and gotta love the lighter weight. Are you planning on heading to Hallett for Mayfest? If so, look for this car/trailer combo and come on over and introduce yourself.

Last edited by Ski; 03-02-2006 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:41 PM
dacula951
Instructor

Very nice car!

In my opinion, shaking is not caused by an alignment problem. I would suspect something out of balance or out of round. Have the wheels been dynamically balanced? Out-of-balance brake rotors could also cause problems. I think there are methods of balancing the wheels and all rotating mass while the wheels are on the car, but I've never actually seen it done.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:54 PM
BNG
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Ski
Welcome, nice car and gotta love the lighter weight. Are you planning on heading to Hallett for Mayfest? If so, look for this car/trailer combo and come on over and introduce yourself.
Hello Bret
Did not know about Mayfest at Hallett, but I will look into it. Will you be at the PCA race at Heartland in April. I like the intercooler scoop on your car can you tell me who makes it.
Thanks
Bryan
Old 03-02-2006, 09:56 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Regarding the vibrations I would put the car on jack stands and look for play.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:01 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Excellent! Another KC track guy! We've got to get you to hook up with us. If you want, bring your car over and we'll put it up on the lift and see if we can figure out whats going on with your vibration.

Out of curiosity, how long has the problem been occuring, and how long has the car been run without the power steering pump? The power assist reduces the stress on the steering input shaft and the extra effort required without it might be causing advanced wear on it. Just a guess here, but when you turn the steering wheel slightly, you might be taking out the "slack" in it, making the vibration go away.

Hope to meet up with you soon!

Regards,
Old 03-02-2006, 10:09 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

No on the Heartland, car is a partnership and we usually do TWS, Hallett, Memphis, and Barber this year. The car goes between TX, AR/TN at different times.

the panel is a Lindsey Racing 5 header panel, we then built a scoop to catch/direct air to the intercooler.

Scott, you still on for Hallett May 5-7?
Old 03-02-2006, 10:21 PM
User 41221
Banned

Yep, I'm there, dude! Tranny is back in the car and works *very* well, along with my 968 M030 bars and whatnot and Bilsteins on all four corners. I may get my M030 spindles, hubs and front calipers on there before then, but the car is handling/stopping pretty well as is, so I am not sure I want the added weight on the front wheels.

Regards,
Old 03-02-2006, 10:47 PM
User 41221
Banned

Hey Bryan, out of curiosity, have you thought what class you were going to run in if you go PCA racing? With the interior gutted, you'll get bumped into a class where you'll be competing against some pretty serious machinery. You might want to surf over to the racing forum and get some advice from some of those guys, I bet they'll have some excellent tips for you.

Regards,
Old 03-02-2006, 11:04 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

All that class stuff confuses me, that's why I like DE so much not to mention I don't want to afford someone elses mistake; not that it can't happen at DE but it is less likely

Quick Reply: Allow myself to introduce myself