Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Oil Extractor - Anyone Use One?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 09:26 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Oil Extractor - Anyone Use One?

A friend of mine was telling me all about the virtues of using a Pela oil extractor on his BMW (the ones that pump the used oil up a tube stuck in the oil filler neck). He lives in a condo and really likes the fact he can easily and cleanly change his oil without any fuss from the condo board. He was saying I should try it on my 951. I'm tempted since jacking up the car, putting it on stands, dropping the belly pan, etc. can be a nuisance. Not to mention the occaissional mess created by the flowing oil.

So has anyone tried one of these extractors? Is there a downside to using one? The first thing that comes to mind is do they get all the dirty oil and sludge out? My friend says they get almost all of it out and that would they don't get is insignifigant.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:13 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a Pella on my VW TDI, the boat, 911 and the 951. I changed oil at the track this season with no mess.

I change oil frequently enough on the Pcar that I don't see any sludge, not that you'll see much with synthetics.

I've used the extractor on the VW since new, it has never had the drain plug out of the pan. I do recomend putting it up every once in a while to make sure the underside is a okay.

You can get a 10% discount with a "TDI" affiliation, I'll have to dig up the web site to remember where.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:34 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in hearing more about this Pella thing... I've seen them (or similar) in catalogs for years, but never really considered it. Is it really that simple? No catches? Really seems like it would make the job simpler.

How do you know you've got the tub all the way to the bottom of your oil pan? Have users of this device ever experienced problems extracting oil from specific engines because of obsticles?

I did a quick Google... is $59.99 a decent price for the Pella 650? http://www.jerrybleach.com/pelaapps650.html
Old 03-01-2006, 10:52 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

59 is a decent price. I have pulled the drain plug on the minivan and 951 after sucking it dry and didn't get a drop out.

The nice thing is you can see exactly how much you got out as the container is graduated to litres. And transferring to another container is pretty easy too.

I've used mine for a couple years and absolutely love the no mess hassle.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:43 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Got any tips on getting the oil filter out without making a huge mess?
Old 03-02-2006, 12:20 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
Remote filter
Old 03-02-2006, 01:33 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
I know some people that run the engine while emptying the oil and simply shut down while the oil pressure drops. When doing it right you emty the filter, do it wrong and you'll run the engine dry..
Old 03-02-2006, 01:48 AM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I read in another thread about the filters with the 'anti-drain' valves not dumping oil when you change them. Is this not the case?

My wife got a C230k for Christmas and you're supposed to use an extractor to change the oil so I've been looking for one of these guys anyways. The Pella looks pretty good. I've also read about an electric pump extractor from Harbor Freight. Anyone seen/used one of those? This does indeed look like a tidy way to change the oil (for all the vehicles).
Old 03-02-2006, 05:27 AM
rcatherton
Instructor

It's funny this thread just came up. I was just reading a west West Marine flyer and they have a Tempo fluid extractor on sale for $43.49 which is $20 off. When I looked at the picture of Pella to compare, it appears to be the exact same unit. I always like to check the magnet on the drain plug, so I am not sure if this is the solution for me.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:11 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by rcatherton
I always like to check the magnet on the drain plug, so I am not sure if this is the solution for me.
That's a good point, but using an extractor might even make that job easier - it wouldn't be nearly as messy because you wouldn't have to prepare yourself for the gusher of oil to come out when you pull the plug.

If I started using an extractor, I'd probably still pull the cork every 2-3 changes to check the magnet... seems like a good thing to do
Old 03-02-2006, 09:16 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by rcatherton
I was just reading a west West Marine flyer and they have a Tempo fluid extractor on sale for $43.49 which is $20 off.
That does look identical... and the price is very good. The only problem is that the Tempo Oil Boy says it's 5 liter, while the Pella 650 is 6.5 liters. Our cars would need that extra capacity to empty it all in one step.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:45 PM
Zero10
Race Car

I use the Pela 6000 on my VW Golf, have since it was new, and the drain plug has never been out. Can't damage it if you don't take it out

I am worried about using it in the 951 due to the baffles in the oil pan, but I think it should work. Only problem is my extractor has a capacity of 6L, and the 951 holds 7L.
Plus, if I drain the oil cooler, I still have to get under the car anyways.

Not sure if it's worth-while on a 951, but on a 944, why not?

Quick Reply: Oil Extractor - Anyone Use One?