A Rebuild - new pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 09:12 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok, had a setback today.

When we took the speed sensor off, there was NOT a SHIM underneath. Now, I figure they moved the bracket up, so I thought I marked it correctly but NO. Toasted a brand new sensor today - $hit!!!!

So I have three on the way, differenct sizes from Paragon, but isn't it 2mm? The FSM says only the clearance, so I can get my veneer gauge and get that, just wondering if anyone just did this and knows the exact size of the shim? .3, .5. and 2mm on the way and a new $100 buck sensor; otherwise, we would have been wiring and installing hoses, getting ready for the intake, etc.

Clutch/pressure plate went well, cam tower went well, belts on, timed perfect. Crossover on and all tight, exhaust manifolds tight....that @#$%&^& sensor.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:01 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you are still ahead of the game by a long shot! Only having to deal with a little $100 sensor...

Lets just say I was not as fortunate! From screaming rollers, stripped bolts, broken bolts, torsion bar woes, fuel leaks, radiators that don't fit, groaning alternators, to bare wiring harnesses, broken engine carriers, broken PS lines, CV bolts rubbing hub, no spacers for rear brakes (didn't get very far that way!), spun rod bearings, and lets not forget why I had to rebuild my engine in the first place, TEC's faulty turbo!

Haha! Thanks for all your help Bret! The pistons are performing flawlessly... About 100 mi now and im boosting to 10 PSI every now and again. (My engine builder told me to just drive the thing... don't baby it, don't run it into the ground, just drive normally). So far so good...

Now I get to tune it all over again! Boost comes on about 200-350 RPM sooner! Good times!
When I get this car to what I want it to be, I will be an EXPERT in Porsche 944 Turbos! There is not much I haven't had the *cough* pleasure *cough* of doing!
Old 03-16-2006, 09:06 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Congrats Chris, glad everthing is humming along!

We're at a stopping point - I have to go back to work and Rhob has fllight and simulator runs, so back on it hard in two weeks. In the meantime, he'll get the dual pillar pod in, cut the MAF hoses to fit, get the cat knocked out, bung welded in for the WBO2 sensor and maybe run that wire. After that, fit in the cat pipe and tighten all the exhaust down to the cat back. Dual pillar pod will house a boost/vac gauge, along with oil temp.

The venturi delete kit is all done and we'll find a Ford or Chevy hose with a small 90° bend to bring the crank case vent back to the MAF pipe. All the vac lines are run and labeled, MBC and wastegate are in and plumbed, radiator is back in, and the new A/C kit arrived the other day.

Magown has a speed sensor with the .8mm shim already glued to it, so he is going to loan us that to set the bracket, plus we have two .3mm shims for the new sensor...after ruining a brand new sensor the other day.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:26 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Ski
The venturi delete kit is all done and we'll find a Ford or Chevy hose with a small 90° bend to bring the crank case vent back to the MAF pipe.
I kept the little factory elbow hose coming off the oil filer vent, and plugged a short PVC connector pipe into it (home depot 99 cents), and then just ran bulk hose from the connector to the MAF....

My plan (someday...) is to separate the oil pipe from the vacuum pipes (grinding off the spot welds) on that metal pipe thingy under the manifold -- then use just the oil breather portion of the metal pipes without the vacuum pipes to the cycling valve.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:20 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've seperated one pipe, it was a bit of a pain because of what Porsche used to keep those together - sort of a cross between glue and tig. His elbow is pretty dry but when I blew a head gasket a few years ago, I found a hose(Ford IIRC) that had a bend and almost the correct length to get to MAF, I cut off a few inches.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:48 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ski, any updates on the build? Did you ever find that source for the alumibrite stuff. Do you know of any chain stores that would sell it.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:12 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

I thought I posted that link to the aluminum brightner, let me find it again. No updates with the exception that Rhob has fitted his MAF, wired the MAF, fitting the turbo water pipe inlet, and the injectors are back from cleaning and being flowed. I'll be home Friday so we should get on it on Tuesday and hopefully have a good start before or on the weekend.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:21 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

here it is

aluminum brightner
Old 03-28-2006, 01:24 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Bret. I can't wait to see a dyno chart for that puppy.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:55 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Today - speed and reference sensors locked into place thanks to a sensor loan with .8mm washer glued to it - thank you. Starter wires dropped after installing new clutch slave cylinder and hose, which is being a PITA to bleed. Last heater valve hose on and tight. Tension rollers torqued down after getting the proper belt tension. Picked up the test pipe after the bung for the WBO2 got welded in. Changed out the old thermal switch, install rotor, cam gear cover, cap and new wires. Put the injectors in the rail...tomorrow, starter in, hose from AOS to front, water pipe for turbo, maybe -maybe, put the intake on in the afternoon.

post some pics tomorrow. Those 1200° plug wires that LR sells, man those are nice.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:39 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ok, slave cylinder is being a real PITA. Filled engine with oil so we wouldn't forget...double checked the belts and torque on all rollers, then started mocking everything up. Had to bend the turbo water pipe twice(water cooling is such a bitch), started double checking some water hose lengths etc. We hope to start on Sunday, tomorrow is pushing it, Saturday is a P-club breakfast and scenic run.

Mocking up and pillar pod

Old 04-06-2006, 06:13 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Looking good. Don't you just love new coolant tanks!
Old 04-06-2006, 07:02 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

yeah they look good and all that but after doing maintenance on NON WATER cooled turbos, mine and the track car, I forgot what a hassle all that $hit is.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:31 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No belt covers Ski?
Old 04-06-2006, 09:40 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, probably tomorrow, I was just going to bump it, make sure it would hit and start, then finish all the other stuff. I went back over this afternoon, as Rhob was still there and he got the hose for the AOS to turbo, so the intake is on, venturi delete kit on and tight. He was fitting up the MAF, so we could, if all goes well, turn the key maybe before lunch just to see if she'll fire. Then pull the intercooler pipes and MAF off, finish the water hoses and water x-over pipe, change the oil again, then install the tranny and new axles.

Quick Reply: A Rebuild - new pics