Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Cross Drilled vs Slotted vs Solid Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 08:10 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

My Subaru rotors don't have balance cuts (stock sliding caliper brakes, not the $$ Brembos), the rotors I got from Canadian Tire (Canadian version of Pep Boys) for my '89 Ford did not have balance cuts but the new Zimmermans I got for my Turbo brakes do.

Hmmm...

I'm not certain based on that small samples that no balance cuts is an automatic sign of quality. It appears that many rotors are made without them, even for cheaper applications. Probably to save money, not because the rotors couldn't use balancing.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:12 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuttgart
"There is no way a sand cast rotor can be consistently produced without some variation in weight requiring a machine cut or weight added."

With a certain casting technologies you can consistently get rotors that only need ID and OD machined, no balance cuts. At the end of the day it comes down to scrap rates, many manufacturers get greedy scrapping very little thinking that the customer will never know the difference, and accordingly the consumer has become accustom to a little noise, coning and warping coming from poor quality castings.

Not trying to be argumentative guys, just trying to point out some things that people outside the industry never get to hear about.
Pray tell me what casting technology you say can consistently do this.

Is it green sand?
Is it all cored?
Cold Box?
Hot Box?
Maybe it's investment casting? (yeah those would be $100 per corner, not)

You tell me cause I've been "in the industry" casting that is for over 20 years bought over $350 Million in equipment, cast thousands of automotive parts per day and I would like to know this new process that can produce it without variation requiring some level of balancing.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:33 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some people just get quiet when they're called out... that must be the case here. Too bad, I was looking forward to gettin' me some of those Space Shuttle rotors too
Old 03-01-2006, 11:34 PM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Temporary Hijack -

f1rocks: Damn dude what is it you do for a living?!?! That's one thing I've yet to digest is that most of the 951 owners seem to be a little older, more experienced and from what I can tell full of **** and vinager. You older dudes are cool. I keep thinking that all you guys on the board are my age, maybe that's why you guys always have the answers I need! This turbo forum rocks!

Hijack over -
Old 03-02-2006, 12:39 AM
HIGHBOOST
Pro

I have heard some stories about guys coming in off some hot laps and when they get to the pits, pull there e-brake once stopped. After doing this for a while, their rotors warp due to uneven thermal loading throughout because the pads aren't allowing the section of rotor that they are clamped on to cool. Have any of you guys that road race had this happen to you?
Old 03-02-2006, 12:50 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by HIGHBOOST
I have heard some stories about guys coming in off some hot laps and when they get to the pits, pull there e-brake once stopped. After doing this for a while, their rotors warp due to uneven thermal loading throughout because the pads aren't allowing the section of rotor that they are clamped on to cool. Have any of you guys that road race had this happen to you?

Not really the issue with 944s at least, since the parking brake is a set of drum brake shoes inside the rear rotor hat. Setting the parking brake on a 944 wont cause rotor warping. Some very little/slight potential that the shoes could stick to the rotor hat if the parking brake is set when the rotor is very hot, but again, not a huge risk due to the layout of the 944 parking brake setup.

But regardless, setting the parking brake is not a good habit to get into when coming off the track. I removed the entire parking brake system on my last two track cars - no need for it.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:08 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by guns951
Temporary Hijack -

f1rocks: Damn dude what is it you do for a living?!?! That's one thing I've yet to digest is that most of the 951 owners seem to be a little older, more experienced and from what I can tell full of **** and vinager. You older dudes are cool. I keep thinking that all you guys on the board are my age, maybe that's why you guys always have the answers I need! This turbo forum rocks!

Hijack over -
Dude that hurts. I'm a little older at 41.....okay screw it, I'm a lot older than you young guys but I still think young.

Started supervising in a GM UAW shop at 17....that will humble you quick. Graduate on a Sunday and go to work on a Monday in a UAW Foundry with some hombres that would throw you in the Cupola (like a blast furnace) if you pissed them off!
Old 03-02-2006, 07:18 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by HIGHBOOST
Thats the first thing you will be told NOT to do. The only ones that do it are the guys that figure it would be uncool to admit that its their first time at the track!

There are a ton of little tips that you will pick up if you pay attention and ask questions.

Chris White
Old 03-02-2006, 09:28 PM
Stuttgart
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
Some people just get quiet when they're called out... that must be the case here. Too bad, I was looking forward to gettin' me some of those Space Shuttle rotors too
Nope I'm still here, just been busy. The only reason I posted on this topic was to throw some info out for everyone to think about, not to sell stuff, and that is why I didn't mention who I work for (Performance Friction). As a supplier to oem's it is extremely frustrating at times dealing with how much they try to remove quality to get costs down. One example was a major american mfg that requested we only machine one disc surface and leave the other a raw casting.

As for the casting, no investment casting, just sand; and of course you can't get perfect castings 100% of the time, but you can do much better with certain technologies and tighter QC when it comes down to what you scrap and what you sell.

As for the space shuttle remark, a major german mfg actually said that we make components that are worthy of the space shuttle and they weren't even refering to our Carbon-Carbon just the iron.
Best regards
Old 03-02-2006, 10:03 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for the response, but I still wish you'd back up your remarks with examples of the better than average rotors that you implied are available out there.

I have nothing but good things to say about PF brake pads, I've used them on several street cars that I've owned over the years - but I've never seen PF iron. I've always just considered PF pads a higher-quality and better working option than the 1-yr warranty pads that Autozone would otherwise try to sell someone.
Old 05-21-2022, 12:22 AM
r1concepts_
1st Gear

Arrow

Comparing drilled rotors and slotted rotors, drilled rotors are for general use and street performance. They perform well in rainy climates and deliver more friction and more bite than their slotted counterparts meanwhile, slotted rotors have slots that shave off any brake dust and other particles. The only disadvantage is that they tend to have a shorter life compared with other types.
Old 05-22-2022, 08:28 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by r1concepts_
Comparing drilled rotors and slotted rotors, drilled rotors are for general use and street performance. They perform well in rainy climates and deliver more friction and more bite than their slotted counterparts meanwhile, slotted rotors have slots that shave off any brake dust and other particles. The only disadvantage is that they tend to have a shorter life compared with other types.
Not sure you should expect people from 2006 to re-engage with your reply. But here's hoping.
Old 05-26-2022, 12:29 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts

Laughing at post #52 where f1 was joking about being 41 back in '06. I'd take 41 these days...
Old 05-26-2022, 05:44 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Time flies...
Old 05-26-2022, 09:54 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddjob
Laughing at post #52 where f1 was joking about being 41 back in '06. I'd take 41 these days...

Quick Reply: Cross Drilled vs Slotted vs Solid Rotors