Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Cross Drilled vs Slotted vs Solid Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2022, 02:00 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddjob
Laughing at post #52 where f1 was joking about being 41 back in '06. I'd take 41 these days...
Reckon! 41, the good old days.
Old 06-08-2022, 11:17 PM
Dwizle
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
My Porsche 993TT rotors have clear indicators that the holes are cast unless there is a drill bit on the market that finishes the fin area (between outer and inner rotor surfaces) that leaves casting marks. They are however post-cast drilled during the final machining process for chamfering purposes.

Zimmerman rotors do appear to be drilled.
How about the manufacturer made the mold with dimples cast into the surface then drilled the hole after that is whole lot cheaper and believable way to manufacture mass produced rotors...
Old 01-22-2024, 09:37 AM
wahoo55
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 21 Posts

I have tracked my .2 3RS regularly since I bought it in 2018, 8-10 days per year, at VIR plus 2 One Lap of Americas in 2019 and 2021. I started with new OEM rotors and Pagid Yellow pads in 2018. I replaced the rotors with more OEM once and this past summer did a set of Girodisc rotors along with rebuilding the calipers. Brakes always felt very solid with no fade with OEM, but they feel even better with the Girodics rotors. I get less pad kickback. Could be rebuilding the calipers is part of that. Someone else has already said that the cracks in the OEM rotors will happen, but really don't matter until they connect the holes.

I would not do cheaper rotors for track use even if FCP will replace them for free. I want to have the utmost confidence in my brakes when I hit them at 155 going into the rollercoaster at the end of the back straight. YMMV.

Porsche no longer sells the caliper rebuild kits. They want to sell you new calipers for $5,200. My mechanic had a hard time sourcing some of the seals and the pistons for the rebuild. TMI at VIR is a good source for seals as long as you can figure out the Brembo part numbers.

Quick Reply: Cross Drilled vs Slotted vs Solid Rotors