Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone using a SFR 3" down pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 09:11 AM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone using a SFR 3" down pipe?

I went to mount mine to the turbo last night and the bolt under the bend wouldn't sit right in the hole. The allen head hits the flange weld and wont' sit flush in the hole. Anyone else have this problem? Do I need a differant bolt? Even if it did sit flush, my allen wrench won't fit past the bend in the pipe to be able to tighten the bolt.

I call Tim when the west coast wakes up, but I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:29 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you just use a normal hex-head bolt and use a box wrench on it?
Old 02-17-2006, 09:33 AM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll try that tonight, but I think the hex head would be bigger then the allen head. Plus, why wouldn't Tim provide that if that is what was needed.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:02 AM
caster951
Three Wheelin'

Oh the joy of upgrading beyond stock and finding that modifications must be made to the modifications. It sounds like you are at your wits end and because I am worried about your well-being, you better take all of that stuff off of your car now before you go crazy. I will gladly trade you even my stock setup, and I will take on the hassle of the installation. I care about your feelings, you know. lol
Old 02-17-2006, 11:34 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by caster944
Oh the joy of upgrading beyond stock and finding that modifications must be made to the modifications.

The bolt will fit.

Just trim your Allen wrench and you can grind the weld enough for the bolt head to sit flush.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:37 AM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Trust me, it will not. I can post a pic tonight. With pipe off the turbo I put the bolt in the hole and it will not sit flush to the flange because of the welds. David did yours come polished?
Old 02-17-2006, 11:52 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Can you grind the weld to allow a flush fit ?

Not polished, the stainless will turn brown from heat with use anyway, I wrapped mine.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:57 AM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

I probably can grind it down. I just didn't think modifications would be need for a piece of pipe that I just paid $400 for.

Did you just cut down you allen wrench then to get it to fit? How tight did you get these bolts?
Old 02-17-2006, 12:04 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Originally Posted by caster944
Oh the joy of upgrading beyond stock and finding that modifications must be made to the modifications.
Quote of the month right there. . .

For once. Just once. ONCE. I'd like to find an aftermarket part that claims "bolt on" that really is. I swear to all that is holy that EVERY time I've dealt with aftermarket the cutting wheel, dremel, drill, arc-welder, soldering gun, brazing torch, exacto knife, or SOMETHING else has had to come out to save the day. . .

OK, I guess the Lloyds mats I used to have fit without modification (they still didn't fit "right" like the Techquipment ones though, so I got rid of 'em). Hmmm. . . The sunshield thingy I ordered from Pelican fits without modification so that's something. The car cover I bought too. So there's hope.

In general though I swear OE parts are designed by engineers and aftermarket parts are designed by drunken monkeys freebasing crack. In GENERAL. Sheesh! Nobody get their panties in a knot over that, k? It's a friggin' joke!

In all seriousness though, I shudder at the thought of what horrors I'll experience with the slew of performance upgrades I have sitting in boxes for my 951 right now though. . . Virtually all aftermarket (Lindsey, Tial, Apec, myswiss, Guru, etc). I'll certainly give credit where it is due once I start installing, but I ain't gonna' pull any punches about crappy design/fitment issues either. Be prepared. . . Judgement day is coming.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:12 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=caster944]Oh the joy of upgrading beyond stock and finding that modifications must be made to the modifications. It sounds like you are at your wits end and because I am worried about your well-being, you better take all of that stuff off of your car now before you go crazy. I will gladly trade you even my stock setup, and I will take on the hassle of the installation. I care about your feelings, you know. lol[/QUOTE

I think realy I'm just crying for help. You should come and finish installing the some odd 49 aftermarket parts I've got to go on this thing. Once your done, If your nice I'll take you for a ride around the block. But that's just because you care about my feelings buddy!
Old 02-17-2006, 12:14 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by por951turbo
I probably can grind it down. I just didn't think modifications would be need for a piece of pipe that I just paid $400 for.

Did you just cut down you allen wrench then to get it to fit? How tight did you get these bolts?

I hear ya, I have found that modifying a car will require some "custom fitting" to be done buy the owner on most every part.

Cutting down an Allen wrench did the trick, don't recall the torque spec off hand, but have had no problems with the pipe.

Just remembered that I had my pipe ceramic coated and wrapped.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:19 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

I wouldn't complain if the mod was needed on the car side. But come on, how hard is it to check to see if the hardware that is being supplied fits the product?
Old 02-17-2006, 12:26 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by por951turbo
I wouldn't complain if the mod was needed on the car side. But come on, how hard is it to check to see if the hardware that is being supplied fits the product?
I'm with ya
Old 02-17-2006, 12:26 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
In general though I swear OE parts are designed by engineers and aftermarket parts are designed by drunken monkeys freebasing crack.
See above.

Wanna' buy an electric supercharger?
Old 02-17-2006, 12:32 PM
951Boost
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile

In general though I swear OE parts are designed by engineers and aftermarket parts are designed by drunken monkeys freebasing crack. In GENERAL. Sheesh! Nobody get their panties in a knot over that, k? It's a friggin' joke!
Well I agree & don't mean it as a joke! Had my share of bad luck this week. And I'm not flamming SFR in particular, I like their stuff and will probably be getting my exhaust & downpipe from them.

It's just the principle, what happens now if he grinds that weld & the part fails at that flange (for some unrelated reason) is he going to have to hear the old....sorry you are SOL 'cause you modified the part? Whatever happened to quality control? And yes, I would expect a $400 piece of pipe to bolt on without me having to clean up the welds.

Sorry for the rant but I've had to return two items this week 'cause of unacceptable fit/finish and that's not counting the other order in which I was sent the wrong cr@p!

Ok got to calm down, time for my coffee & xanax

Quick Reply: Anyone using a SFR 3" down pipe?