Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rear Bumper Mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 01:08 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

i was thinking about doing the same mod like 2 days ago!!!hahahah,great mind think alike!.i did the front sunb(on my 44) without pads and it just looks awsome.i might be able to get someone make custom bumper end caps just for this mod,something ive been thinking about producing.btw,if your shocks are not dead,youll need to drill/decompress it from the side of the shock,on early cars it has a line on the bumper shock itself where you need to drill on the late its the same but with 2 lines,you need to drill in between the lines.on a side note,the 951 rear bumper shocks are the same as the 944 front and rear bumper shocks.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:49 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by shortyboy
btw,if your shocks are not dead,youll need to drill/decompress it from the side of the shock,on early cars it has a line on the bumper shock itself where you need to drill on the late its the same but with 2 lines,you need to drill in between the lines.on a side note,the 951 rear bumper shocks are the same as the 944 front and rear bumper shocks.
Not if you have a 2 ton hydrualic press If you compress them in far enough, they will not come back, we just found that out, lol. But we did turn in part of the shock with a ball peen hammer to keep the shock from expanding again over time, but it looked like it was going to stay put anyhow. If you only compress them half way, then you probably need to drill them out, as they want to expand back to full again.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:04 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My other small mod, since I am not painting the rear quarters right now, I am going to remove the rear side markers, sand them smooth, prime them, and paint them to match the car
My 1988 951 was imported from Minnesota back in 1990. During that time red rear sidmarkers were illegal here in Finland, so my rear markers were painted Satin Scwartz Metallic back in 1990

I just got a euro rear bumber, so my car is moving slowly to Euro spec car
Old 02-15-2006, 11:01 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
My 1988 951 was imported from Minnesota back in 1990. During that time red rear sidmarkers were illegal here in Finland, so my rear markers were painted Satin Scwartz Metallic back in 1990
Olli - got any close ups or side shots of this? Just interested to see how the sidemarker looks painted on your car. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:04 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those painted sidemarkers got later clear lenses on them. Actually i don't like them, they do not fit good on a black car. I have another pair of red ones which i am going to paint.

Here's couple of picturs which were taken summer 2001

Old 02-15-2006, 04:03 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Very nice Olli
Old 02-18-2006, 01:01 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Chirs came in and did some more work my rear bumper last night. He filled the holes with some small aluminum plugs that he cut out, so that we would have an easy base for Stephen to Tig on. That way he can just drop a puddle over the holes, grind and we are done.

First he filled the 3 holes I had in the middle of the bumper with some aluminum rod plugs he had.

Here are the holes that need to be filled. There are 2 on each side (actually 3, but we will not fill the outer most hole as the bumper end cap covers that up.

And aluminum plug laid in, and about to beat beaten flat.

And the plug in the hole ready for some welding.

We decided the plugs would make it easiest to weld around, instead of trying to fill a hole, as aluminum is not exactly easy to weld with anyway. In theory you could probably just pound in the plugs and bondo around them, but we want to make sure they don't ever come out, and are nice and solid. Today I am working on sanding down my side markers and getting them ready for paint. Probably next week will run by the paint shop and see exactly what they recommend for primer on them.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:13 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Ok, we did some fitting today. Basically the end caps have been cut down, and we wanted to see how close we were. With the collapsed rear bumper shocks, and the eccentrics on full extension (bumper out as far as it can go), the end caps fit perfectly. So we are going to trim another 1/8-1/4" off the end caps, and suck it in a little more with the eccentric bolts. This is how it looks so far.....pretty happy with the results so far. The rear valence is not on yet, but use your imagine

Old 03-27-2006, 12:18 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That looks really nice. What eccentric bolts are you talking about? I don't recall there being any under the rear bumper...

Is that original paint? If so, what did you use to remove the tacky looking Porsche script along the back under the tailights? Looks like there is still a faded image from the sticker. Is that going to buff off you think?
Old 03-27-2006, 12:29 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Looks awesome, nice work.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:16 AM
jgporsche
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice
Old 03-27-2006, 01:54 AM
RK951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

beautiful work
Old 03-27-2006, 10:59 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 9fitty1
That looks really nice. What eccentric bolts are you talking about? I don't recall there being any under the rear bumper...

Is that original paint? If so, what did you use to remove the tacky looking Porsche script along the back under the tailights? Looks like there is still a faded image from the sticker. Is that going to buff off you think?
The bolt that mounts the bumper to the rear bumper shocks are eccentric, so you can play with the depth of the bumper a little, depending on how much your end caps will give. The sticker was pulled off by the previous owner, I haven't tried cutting compound yet, but i will do that before I put it all back together.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:01 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Old 04-02-2006, 04:48 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

X-post in the paint project thread...

I have some wetsanding to do on the clear yet, but other than that, the car is done.

Quick Reply: Rear Bumper Mod