Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

authority chips

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006 | 12:11 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Default authority chips

I opened up my montronics box today to see what kind of chips are in my car(bought car with chips in it). they are authority chips and this is what was on the chip. 951.020.300. can anyone tell me is this a decent chip. By looking at my exhaust tip it seems to be running rich. I no you need a dyno to really tell. Does the chip regulate how much boost i get or is it the waste gate spring? i am trying to find a dyno to do a base run. After that i would like to get the chips fine tuned. can those chips be modified or should i go to a different chip. Also if the chip does control how much boost i am getting can you tell me by those #s on the chip what kind of boost i am running. thanks. the gas pedal response is very lathargic( compared to 911).
Old 02-13-2006 | 12:19 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

The Autothority chips are pretty good. If you're running rich, I'd suspect you either are running a 3.0-bar FPR (as opposed to a standard 2.5-bar) or the FPR is bad perhaps. . .

I would recommend NOT using a shimmed or modified wastegate with these chips, due to their particular boost curve.

The gas pedal response is always going to be lethargic on a 951 because the c/r is so low (8.0:1 standard). They have no torque at all until about 2500RPM and it really starts kicking in once the turbo begins to factor into the equation (around 3000RPM). Down low, these cars suck. It's all about mid-range torque. A 911 with higher displacement and c/r would certainly pull harder off the line. If it didn't I'd say something was seriously wrong.
Old 02-13-2006 | 12:37 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Autothority chips are typically tuned to be very rich in the mid-range for safety. When I dynoed mine, they were richer than 10:1 over much of the power band. It seems like this is pretty typical. Autothority uses a jet (carburator jet) in the banjo bolt on the intercooler pipe to restrict the boost signal to the stock cycling valve. This results in increased boost throughout the power band, although I have never seen any actual boost curve numbers. I am not sure what the Autothority chips give you on a K26/6 turbo. On my K26/8, I got 236 hp/244 ft-lbs at the rear wheel.

I don't think you can get Autothority chips retuned, although I am not sure. My experience was that going to better chips (GURU in my case) improved both the drivability/responsiveness and power of the car. Replacing the banjo bolt with a manual boost controller and bypassing the cycling valve allowed me to select a constant boost. Shimming the stock waste gate helped reduce turbo lag, although a Tial wastegate is definitely much better than a shimmed stock wastegate.

Also check out Vittesse chips, which seem to be the most popular ones at the moment. I am sure others will post testimonials on this thread.
Old 02-13-2006 | 02:12 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

i am going to put a new turbo on next week. i bought a k26/27. will that work with the authority chips?
Old 02-13-2006 | 02:17 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Well, is it a k26 or a k27?

Stock 951 turbo is a k26/6. Stock turbo for the turbo-s models was a k26/8. k27 certainly is a nice upgrade from the k26, but you should probably look into new chips if you're going to get the power out of an upgraded turbo - you can't just install it and expect to have power - a boost controller needs to be set up to extract the additional power the new turbo is capable of and chips set up handle the tuning for that particular boost curve. . .
Old 02-13-2006 | 02:27 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Its a hybrid turbo it is part k26 and k27. I ordered it from performance turbo. talked to Bob over there(who came highly recommended). I am told it is a k26 on the exhaust side and on the other side it is a k27.
Old 02-13-2006 | 02:49 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Well, the compressor side is either a k26 or a k27. The k27 is the one that's used on 911 turbos, for example. It's bigger (and heavier) than the k26 compressor wheel and pushes air according to a very different map than the k26 wheel. It is sought after by many 951 guys that want to carry higher boost levels all the way to redline (with the penalty of higher turbo lag) versus the "tail-off" phenomenon that occurs with the smaller (and lighter) k26 wheel. Like everything else, it's a trade-off. The k26 wheel is smaller, lighter and will build boost faster but it runs out of steam more quickly - resulting in rather asthmatic response at the upper end of the 951's RPM band. The k27 is bigger and heavier and will hold 18psi (or more) all the way to redline, but it takes a lot more "oomph" to get it going. Since our engines are rather low-displacement 4-bangers to begin with, this results in less "push" on the turbine wheel and more spool-up time required to get things moving.

If you're running a k27 compressor wheel, the real question is, "are you running a #6 or #8 hot side?" The #6 is smaller and the #8 is bigger - with obvious behaviours. The k27/8 is a beast of a turbo but will be laggy. No way around it. The k27/6 is going to be a bit quicker, but will suffer a bit at the high end. . .
Old 02-13-2006 | 03:46 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

I have Autothority Chips. I am running rich on mid range as well. I also have a custom buit K29 with a #8 hotside and I don't really have much lag at all. Maybe it's because of my displacement. The car just gets.
Old 02-13-2006 | 05:29 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

so are we saying that i can run this hybrid turbo with the chips i aready have?
Old 02-13-2006 | 05:36 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

You can, but it ain't gonna' do much for you. Probably will even hinder you until you add a boost controller and chips that can compensate for "boost-controller-induced-owner-stupidity-syndrome". Nothing personal, but far too many headgaskets (or worse) have given their lives due to the naivity of new boost-a-holics cranking that little dial too far.

The old "well, if a little is fun, a LOT will be a LOT OF FUN!!!" mentality. . .
Old 02-13-2006 | 05:37 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by DFASTEST951
I have Autothority Chips. I am running rich on mid range as well. I also have a custom buit K29 with a #8 hotside and I don't really have much lag at all. Maybe it's because of my displacement. The car just gets.

OMFG!!! You have autothority chips? Do you know what you could do with the Vitesse chip?
Old 02-13-2006 | 05:39 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

I think he's kiddin' dude. Have you seen the specs on his car?
Old 02-13-2006 | 05:44 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

i hope he's kidding.
Old 02-13-2006 | 05:47 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

He built you a K27/6. It has the K27 compressor with the #6 turbine. Nice turbo.

PM TonyG as he is the master with these turbos. You will have to have a way to adjust your fuel map to work with the increased airflow. You can either get new chips (I think John at Vitesse has K27 maps) or a fuel controller that will allow you to adjust the fuel manually. It will be easier to just buy a set of chips. It may take a couple of trips to the dyno to get the map just right for your car but it will be worth it.
Old 02-13-2006 | 06:01 PM
silverbullet
Pro

I highly recommend speaking to John at Vitesse about your goals and he can show you the best way to achieve it. It's pretty easy to just throw money at these cars and not get anywhere. It takes alot of research and a plan.

Quick Reply: authority chips