Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Why did Porsche de-tune the 951??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 11:28 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Two hundred forty seven horsepower is enough." All in agreement, raise your hand.................................................................... ........................................................................ ........................................................................ ........................................................................ ........................................................................ .....................................I didn't think so.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:35 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
I couldn't resist... it's on the way. $35 from Amazon with free shipping.
LOL, you boostaholic
Old 02-10-2006, 10:57 PM
ldt1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want to be disagreeable just for the sake of arguing, but I have owned four 1986 951's. all but one of them had sticker prices under 40k. one of them was around 33k. brand new, and they were all fairly well optioned. The latter models were the ones that came in at over 50k.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:57 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Lart, as time goes on I find myself thinking more and more that way. To date I've been somewhat of a purist and haven't really cared for a lot of the aftermarket stuff available for these cars, but I completely agree - Porsche almost makes it a point to snub watercooler owners these days. From service departments to parts to even going in to look at the newer Caymans, Boxsters, etc. I have gotten SUCH attitude from their people (except for one dealership near me - and I think that's because they also carry VW and Audi, which is the bulk of their business).

Maybe if Porsche N.A. wasn't so snobbish and lost the "if-you-don't-have-$100k-to-spend-right-now-eff-you" attitude, I'd care more about upholding their marquee. I do love the entire line for the most part - 356 to 928 to 911 to Cayman, but I just wish there'd be more of the appreciation for their heritage out there than there is.

At Circle (the cool dealership near me) I actually got into a great discussion with the sales manager a few weeks ago about 944s and the entire watercooled line. She thought it was really great that I was into them, put me in touch with the local PCA chapter and so on. Really good stuff - even if it was just "good salesmanship", it was refreshing. She knew I wasn't buying anything that day, just in for a drool at the new stuff but I'll tell you - even if that dealership was higher priced than Pacific or Rusnak or McKenna or any of the others around where I've gotten the "not-a-real-Porsche" attitude bull****, I would (and eventually will) spend my money there on a new model someday. I don't forget stuff like that.

Anyway, point is - until Porsche stops disavowing the watercooled front-engine models (which saved their *** 20 years ago) maybe stuff like aftermarket parts, stripping cars apart for track use, etc. won't bother me so much. If they don't consider us "part of the family" then why should we feel obligated to act like it? They're our cars, not theirs - I say do what you want with 'em - within reason. . .

I still can't stand the hybrid conversions, but maybe in time I'll even soften up to those. . .
Old 02-11-2006, 03:27 PM
turbinek
Instructor

Originally Posted by shiners780
"Two hundred forty seven horsepower is enough." All in agreement, raise your hand....I didn't think so.
I kind of agree - there is never enough hp or torque as long as gas mileage does not drop too low but that is where turbo charged car's have the advantage.

I guess 350 DIN hp at the wheels are o.k.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:17 PM
A Pilot
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slightly off topic......but last year when I was at the Chicago Autoshow, I was snubbed by the Porsche PR people when I struck up a conversation with them (which culminated in me asking for one of the free posters they were handing out.)......they replied, "Well, these are for potential customers." ....Which was very ironic, since I have owned two Porsches in the last two years, and my dad owns 6 911's. Maybe it was my young age? ...I can't stand the snobbery that is often associated with Porsche dealers/Porsche NA.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:23 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Damn Jeff, I've never had that kind of experience at Brumos. I wonder if there are regional differences? I buy a number of parts from Brumos. (People would be shocked how competitive a good dealer can be with 944 parts.) Perhaps my prescence in the parts department creates familiarity that affects the way I get treated. Not sure, but sad to here you getting bad treatment from a dealer.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:48 PM
lleroyb
Burning Brakes

For what it is worth, the sidebar quote of Jochen Freund was from a comparison test of the 944 line in Feb. '89 Automobile Magazine. The window sticker on my '89 951 was $48k and some change.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:02 PM
JDeitz951
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by pole position
It had nothing to do with vision , the cars simply did not not sell after the initial rush. In 1989 the 951's sold below dealer invoice including PCNA to dealer incentive and we still could not give the cars away. It was a struggle to say the least.
Initial rush? Oh, yes: the '86 944 turbo outsold all the following years combined.

De-tuned in deference to the 911? I say yes.

Third class citizen: Yes

Do I care: no.

I love the model more than the marque. Give me sleek sexy styling with a long front hood, a properly located 4-cyl turbo engine (between the driver and the front wheels), built to the highest standard and I don't care if it said VW on the nose, I'd still love it.

My hope is that by the time they come out with the turbo coupe version of the Panamera, I'll be rich enough to own one and still young enough to enjoy it.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:39 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Lart, as time goes on I find myself thinking more and more that way. To date I've been somewhat of a purist and haven't really cared for a lot of the aftermarket stuff available for these cars, but I completely agree - Porsche almost makes it a point to snub watercooler owners these days. From service departments to parts to even going in to look at the newer Caymans, Boxsters, etc. I have gotten SUCH attitude from their people (except for one dealership near me - and I think that's because they also carry VW and Audi, which is the bulk of their business).

Maybe if Porsche N.A. wasn't so snobbish and lost the "if-you-don't-have-$100k-to-spend-right-now-eff-you" attitude, I'd care more about upholding their marquee. I do love the entire line for the most part - 356 to 928 to 911 to Cayman, but I just wish there'd be more of the appreciation for their heritage out there than there is.

At Circle (the cool dealership near me) I actually got into a great discussion with the sales manager a few weeks ago about 944s and the entire watercooled line. She thought it was really great that I was into them, put me in touch with the local PCA chapter and so on. Really good stuff - even if it was just "good salesmanship", it was refreshing. She knew I wasn't buying anything that day, just in for a drool at the new stuff but I'll tell you - even if that dealership was higher priced than Pacific or Rusnak or McKenna or any of the others around where I've gotten the "not-a-real-Porsche" attitude bull****, I would (and eventually will) spend my money there on a new model someday. I don't forget stuff like that.

Anyway, point is - until Porsche stops disavowing the watercooled front-engine models (which saved their *** 20 years ago) maybe stuff like aftermarket parts, stripping cars apart for track use, etc. won't bother me so much. If they don't consider us "part of the family" then why should we feel obligated to act like it? They're our cars, not theirs - I say do what you want with 'em - within reason. . .

I still can't stand the hybrid conversions, but maybe in time I'll even soften up to those. . .

Anybody who claims the 944/951 isn't a real Porsche, is a snob. I love 911s, they're extremely special cars. But my 944 and 951s were just as special to me as my 911s. Sometimes I even have impure thoughts about selling my 993 and getting another 951S

Don't worry about Porsche snobs, anyone who looks down on someone else because of the car they drive is a worthless individual anyway. And secondly, what do you care if the salespeople at a Porsche dealership look down on you? These days, they're selling the most complete line of poseur cars that's ever worn the Porsche badge. Slam the door on your 944, and then slam the door on a Cayman sitting in the showroom - you'll realize that there is no substitute for old school Porsches, and that goes for 944s as well as 911s.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:50 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JDeitz951
My hope is that by the time they come out with the turbo coupe version of the Panamera, I'll be rich enough to own one and still young enough to enjoy it.
Deitz, my friend I don't think money is going to be the issue when the panamera comes out, I think the problem will be "too much weight"
Attached Images  
Old 02-12-2006, 12:51 AM
JDeitz951
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Yeah, I put on a few pounds over the holidays.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:53 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by lart951
Deitz, my friend I don't think money is going to be the issue when the panamera comes out, I think the problem will be "too much weight"
Lart - Are you the guy in the green shirt, or is that your finger on the camera lens?
Old 02-12-2006, 03:04 AM
FRM
AutoX

Bought my 944T new in 1986 for 25K. European delivery at the factory. Still have it. At the time a base 911 was 1K more. Test drove both. Bought the 944T. 911 would have been a better investment though.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:06 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

AFAIK the 944 cars that stickered above 50K were the 944S2 cabs. I have the original sticker for my US car.

The 951 cab MSRP in Germany back in 1992 was 100,000 Deutche Marks.

Quick Reply: Why did Porsche de-tune the 951??