Old 01-29-2006, 11:14 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
Default MafterBurner - Info

Does anyone know for sure if the MafterBurner will ALWAYS modify the MAF/AFM signal once it goes through it? Can the MafterBurner be configured not to alter the signal, and leave signal in = signal out? (1V in = 1V out)?
It appears that the Siganl IN is always modified a x%..

I have no desire to work with the MafterBurner - However I am involved with a customer where his MafterBurner is ALWAYS modifying the MAF signal.
The VR software on the chip/board requires NO signal modification (some minor fine tuning is ok). When the VR chip is used without the MafterBurner, it works as expected. When used with the MafterBurner is runs very rich, which tells me the MafterBurner is modifying the signal. The customer attempted to disable any signal massaging in the MafterBurner without any success!

If the MafterBurner is not capable of leaving the signal as is (Vin = Vout). I would personally assume it's a problem is the design and functionality of the controller. Till this issue is resolved, Vitesse will not sell nor support any MAF where the MafterBurner is used.

PS. The chip/board works fine with many other controllers/PiggyBack such as the SMT6. As long as the PiggyBack/Controller can be setup not to alter the signal across the range.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:05 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$10 says Thomas L is on this thread before midnight tonight (local north pole time)
Who's taking my action??
Old 01-29-2006, 01:56 PM
Magown
Burning Brakes

I visited the Zone-5 performance to learn more about the mafturburner, they don’t give much info, also they don’t seem to officially support, vaf to maf signal massaging, everything they sale is for Fords where the user is simply swapping mafs with more flow potential to one that flows more.

It looks like Lindsay has a deal with them to supply something a little different.

If you go to the support page. http://www.mafterburner.com/technical_support.htm You will see that the differentiate between Mafturburner-lr (could that be Lindsay Racing) and Mafturburner.

My guess is the lr version changes the signal.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:02 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LR also charges an extra $100 for their version of the Mafterburner. I would assume that is related to the modified firmware on the Mafterburner that includes their transfer function for the LR MAFs.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:03 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Stephen, I just looked at the info as well, I concluded the same thing.
They have lots of software to download, does that mean that if you download the Ford software you can download it to the unit?
Any PiggyBack affects the signal when requested, otherwise it should be a pass through!

Changing MAF to VAF signal is not what is needed.. Being able to pass the MAF as is is what is needed. I would imagine the Ford software does it, but it's not for me to answer this question...
Old 01-29-2006, 02:04 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by macnewma
LR also charges an extra $100 for their version of the Mafterburner. I would assume that is related to the modified firmware on the Mafterburner that includes their transfer function for the LR MAFs.
Now the question is: Can the unit be modified back to original setup without the transfer function?
Old 01-29-2006, 02:06 PM
Magown
Burning Brakes

I was wondering about downloading other software. I downloaded it and I noticed on the connection screen it will detect the installed firmware. All the mafturburner users are going to need to contact Lindsay and / or Zone-5 Performance.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:09 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Magown
I was wondering about downloading other software. I downloaded it and I noticed on the connection screen it will detect the installed firmware. All the mafturburner users are going to need to contact Lindsay and / or Zone-5 Performance.
Agree! I'm just trying to help out.. This is as far as I can take it...
Old 01-29-2006, 02:19 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

First off, Lindsey paid quite a bit to get the features in the MafterBuner to work with the 951 instead of a Ford. I would think that if I was paying for custom software design for my customers, I would need charge that to my customers to not lose money.

Secondy, just because there is no feature to turn the remapping function off does not mean you can't set the curves to send 1:1. I would assume you just flatten the curve and bump it up or down until the voltage in equals the voltage out.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:23 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

There should be no problem to set everything to zero correction with Mafterburner.
It sounds to me that the user has the 2 injector dropdown boxes set with different injector sizes.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:36 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If the "VR software on the chip/board requires NO signal modification" to get a good A/F ratio, why not just pull the Mafterburner and be done with it? Why is the Mafterburner necessary if the chip is good?
Old 01-29-2006, 02:44 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

changing injectors, 0 the map, will not work.

It changes the Vin and Vout,(in present settings - firmware) which the VR chipboard does within itself. As it would seem, if you try to do that twice, you are way rich.

I'll try to find out about the transfer function tomorrow, where and who programs it and can it be changed. It it's programmed to do a linear transfer function, based on the other MAF discussion going on, then it will not work in the present configuration because it would be altered twice. I also want to know if I missed a function of it(Mafterburner); I have not updated to the present software so that may be my own fault if there is a change there - my oops. This is simple knowledge about compatibility between two products from well respected companies.

Please, ALL, understand, this is not the fault of anyone or anything, this is as much R&D as it is for proper information for everyone - DO NOT put this into a VR or LR thing or I'll have the moderator delete it myself. I'm sick of decent, knowledge finding discussions getting put off track my some immature A$$hole.

Last edited by Ski; 01-29-2006 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:19 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I agree with Ski, this SHOULD NOT be turned into VR vs. LR or whose product is better.. Let's keep it on track..

This thread is NOT about what LR does for the MafterBurner! This is their baby, and should be kept at such. If you know how to ZERO out any signal modification, please post it here.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:21 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mike Murcia
If the "VR software on the chip/board requires NO signal modification" to get a good A/F ratio, why not just pull the Mafterburner and be done with it? Why is the Mafterburner necessary if the chip is good?
As I mentioned, the chip/board works without the MafterBurner in place. Disabling the MafterBurner or forcing it to send a 1:1 signal did not work. The customer wants to use both products. This is why I started this thread!
Old 01-29-2006, 04:03 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

So he did not buy one of your MAF chips, he has a VR AFM chip?

Quick Reply: MafterBurner - Info