Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Project Pics and Updates LOTS OF PICS - LOW BANDWIDTH BEWARE

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 01:22 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, I do not want to come across harshly, but I am wondering what your goal for this car is? It seems like you have a goal in mind of how you would like it to look, but what is the purpose? What will the car do?

Right now it seems kind of slapped together - you've got a beautifully upholstered leather GT3 seat sitting in a 951 with the interior mostly torn out. You've riveted some fender flares on. The fender flares look like they were made with another car in mind, as they cover up your side markers rather than incorporate them. You've got some big blingin wheels of the wrong offset installed over some stock brakes painted yellow. You are talking about PCCB's and even bigger, blingin'er wheels.

Why? What will this car do? Track car? Street car? Dual purpose? The answer to this question is all important here as it will drive what way your compromises go. And they are all compromises. Right now it kind of seems like the goal is to see how much money you can spend on your 951.

My thoughts:

If you are building a dedicated track car:
1) Finish stripping the interior
2) Don't even consider HRE's as they are heavy and you will be awfully upset when you damage one on track (which will happen), get some 17" Fikses or similar unless you are upgrading brakes, then go 18.
3) I personally would ditch the beautiful leather GT3 seat and replace with something more utilitarian, it doesn't fit with the overall theme of the car.
4) Get a full roll cage welded in (or at least get a harness bar/roll bar. Your harnesses are very dangerous in their current configuration and would likely contribute to serious injury if you were in an accident)
5) Forget about PCCB, get some Big Reds if you are going to track the thing. PCCB is needlessly expensive - you will not be able to exceed the braking capacity of the big reds with a mostly stock motor.
6) Get fiberglass rather than try to reinvent the wheel on making your own mold of your riveted fenders in carbon. A few reasons - you don't have an autoclave, it will take you a year, there are already widebody carbon fenders available, etc...
7) Get a suspension system with some adjustability, not the bilsteins - think Leda or similar- you need to lower that car.
8) Since you need to lower the car, get some better A-Arms/camber plates etc
9) Get the Racer's Edge or Elephant racing bushing package
10) Motor mods with high power and maybe less longevity in mind as you will be working on a track car more than a street car and some downtime is expected.
11) Think about tire sizes that are closer in width - the disparity in tire width you are suggesting would result in some pretty heavy understeer.

If its a dual purpose car then it is even more difficult as you have to decide what you are and are not willing to sacrifice.

Sorry my comments are not more positive. Looks like it was fun for you, which is certainly something. Do you happen to have any pics of the fender installation process?

Last edited by PCinDC; 01-30-2006 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:21 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Old 01-30-2006, 11:00 PM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

testarossa_td - dude you just kick ***...there's no other way to say it. Damn man!

944 Fanatic: Well concerning the purpose of the car - Street/track/DE. But seeing as how I spend less than 30 days a year in the US, its more of an experiment, not to see how much I can spend but how crazy and high end I can make it. Everyone knows the track will destroy PCCB's and as much as I go to the track now, well they'd last forever . But the point is to be unique and have the best - plus who else do you know that has done that? I like to be different and when i go to the track I'll probably just get a GT2 steel setup and go back and forth.

I had to strip the interior due to a big mold problem due to water getting into the cabin - and i plan on pulling everything else here in a bit when i'm ready to paint it (as in motor and everything) and redo the interior to minimalistic standards for weight savings. The GT3 seat is needed as I trashed the other seats I had because they don't suit my tastes. Plus that seat is a breeze to get in and out. And the cage is on the way - the car just gets driven in/out the garage and trailered to the shop.

Mainly I was fed up with crap from body shops not wanting to do it, saying they would and not doing ****, just basic BS in general. So this was partly a garage clearing exercise and a visual experiment which I think is lookin' how I would like (when propperly refined). And the brakes are not simply painted, it took quite a bit of time and about $3k to powdercoat, machine and rebuild all of the braking components. This is my first major project car - and it took me awhile to figure out exactly which direction I wanted to go. But now I know.

So do I want bling wheels? No. I want wide, visually appealing and tasteful ligthweight wheels of 18" diameter. So I was under the impression that HRE had great wheels, I guess not right? So the search is on for wheels...I got the sport designs at a decent price and just wanted to see how they'd look.

I don't have pics of actually putting the fenders on as I was by myself and i needed three hands as it was. And while talking with a body guy, i'm going to take GT racing stock width fiberglass fenders, bond the flares to those, cut off excess, and get rid of all holes and divets for the rivets and leave a raised seam of where the RS flares flow into the stock lines yielding a product which should look like one piece. I wanted carbon but oh well...

The end goal is to have a 951 with 968 style mods, with 996 GT2/3 parts. A car that is capable of insane speed, handling and braking both on the street and occasionally on the track - a toy. If i want comfort I'll hop in my 2006 550i. If I'm not mistakin' Porsche did make this car for the street...and they do put PCCB's on their street cars.

I appreciate the comments, and they're not negative - they're just aimed at seeing if I know what I want and facing a reality of the end product. Although the compromises I want are few, I feel the combination of lightweight, quality OEM parts and a slightly revised body work I can make this 951 my work of art...and yes by the time i get to the motor i'll probably have spent what most do on the entire car - but its about personal growth and experimentation to determine the combination that will put a smile on my face.

--Gabriel
Old 02-01-2006, 01:10 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the first pic the best. ;]
Old 02-01-2006, 01:56 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Default Paging Testarossa

Hey bro,

Here's the pic...can you hook it up?
Attached Images  
Old 02-01-2006, 11:54 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool deal. I'm partial to Kinesis wheels, and the folks there are pretty good about working with you for custom offsets. My rears are 17x11.5, and fit great under the stock fenders.

Would love to see that car in person. Let me know if you'd like a hand next time you're in town. I'm usually busy as a one-armed paperhanger, but I'd make the time to come see that.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:04 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

Just a couple things to add to what's already been said. Get the turbo rear valance on there and I'd go for a total respray once you've got the side markers and rivet holes filled in. The two shades of silver is a bit distracting.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:14 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Old 02-01-2006, 05:48 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I like the rivot-look better than the smooth flares, but I am a bit partial to GT2's so that is why.

I don't think that rear underspoiler is going to fit on there with those flares.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:57 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by guns951
ARE YOU SERIOUS?????!?!?!?!? Dude that's horrible (HRE reputation)...so I guess Kenisis or Fiske are about it? Damn.

Yeah i guess I should have included the pics in the first post as far as the fenders go, my description wasn't as clear as it could have been...but I'm glad you came up with the same thing I wanted to do...that means its probably a good idea.

As far as walking me through doing the lights that would be great - but I'd need a full supply list of what to get and all and remember right now I'm in Afghanistan...so it'd be one of those I'll get everything on the list and put it together in a few months...Maybe we could plan something out after I get the bumper thing worked out hopefully by May or so...but I'd be more than happy to buy you a few beers and throw a couple of steaks on the grill if you ever did show up in Houston.
Guns , try john at CCW ( complete custom wheels ) the make custom offset 3 pc wheels used by a lot of racers . reasonable in price .
Old 02-01-2006, 11:09 PM
Guns951
Race Car

Default Thanks guys

Red1: I'll be sure to give you advance warning

Tifo: See that's why i'm torn...I mean between the GT3 smooth ones, or like the blue GT2 Ruf did with rivets. And by the way, does Farley's ghost live with you in that van, "DOWN BY THE RIVER!"

Justin: Yeah I did a quick paint to get it all one color - I her to be 'that' car with the unintentional two tone paint job....and there's a guy in florida, I doubt he's a 'lister as I haven't seen his car on here - but he managed to get the valance (under spoiler) back on there after the flares were on....It was amazing right after I decided to do this project as it was "unique" I get this message from a dude on ebay who bought them through broadfoot that way about installing them. I was like...is everyone going to do this now? Ha!

Testarossa: Dude you did a great job...I just don't see how you can do that so easily!
Old 02-01-2006, 11:46 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Originally Posted by tifosiman
I like the rivot-look better than the smooth flares, but I am a bit partial to GT2's so that is why.

I don't think that rear underspoiler is going to fit on there with those flares.
I agree with Tifo. The rivet gives it more of the purpose built, form follows function, racecar look. I always like the red Broadfoot car that is on the first page of thie thread.

Quick Reply: Project Pics and Updates LOTS OF PICS - LOW BANDWIDTH BEWARE