Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Why would my Turbo S run this cold?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 12:48 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Due to the lower weather conditions now, that is completely normal, since i get those tempreature readings as well.

Wait untill summer kicks in, you will see a totally different behaviour in the gauge.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:53 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need to test crap. The car is running just like it is supposed to. Time to find a real problem.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:02 PM
951North
Pro

My temp is in that range too, like said before I'd be more concerned about low oil temperature, It needs to be high enough to drive off any moisture that gets in it.

Welcome to Rennlist and Let be the first to say Nice Scirocco! Mods?
Old 01-26-2006, 02:20 PM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

Thats exactly how my temp used to be.. now it runs like halfway for some reason. I dont know why.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:53 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jmporsche944
Thats exactly how my temp used to be.. now it runs like halfway for some reason. I dont know why.
Bleed the cooling system. (there is a guide on Clarks-garage) Check it for leaks. If no leaks are found, and it's WELL bled, then we can start on more serious issues. Air in the system will cause the system to overheat unnecessarily.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:16 PM
aventari
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
You don't need to test crap. The car is running just like it is supposed to. Time to find a real problem.
Don't worry I have plenty of other things to fix. First up is a cracked exhaust manifold..

Originally Posted by 951North
My temp is in that range too, like said before I'd be more concerned about low oil temperature, It needs to be high enough to drive off any moisture that gets in it.

Welcome to Rennlist and Let be the first to say Nice Scirocco! Mods?
Yeah I'm suprised the 951 doesn't have an oil temp gauge. My 1981 Scirocco and Rabbit GTI both came with oil temp gauges stock.

As for mods, the Scriocco has way too much to list. The main things are a built 1.8 8v GTI motor and custom turbo system I made with T3 turbo (50 trim/.48 a/r), Volvo 240turbo fuel injection. suspension and everything else too. Most recently I installed an LM1 wideband o2 sensor. It's very quick even though I only run 4-5 psi of boost. It feels a lot quicker than my new 951, but it doesn't nearly have the top end pull of the 951.

Scirocco is 2000lbs with around 150-175hp (stock is 74hp )
vs
951 is 3000lbs with 250hp
so that makes sense that the scirocco is quicker at low speeds but gets killed at the top end
Old 02-06-2006, 09:44 PM
Douglas Sorrells
Racer

My 951 also runs very cool. My temp guage is typically dead on the bottom hash and rarely goes above while driving. Lots better than running hot, which my 87 was prone to doing. You may want to consider adding an oil temp guage to help ease piece of mind concerning engine temps.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:54 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's pretty harsh, he won't have to look for it.

Seriously, if you just bought it and don't know much about these cars, get it checked out by someone who does.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:42 PM
tjbreen
Addict
Rennlist Member

My gauge has always been low like the one pictured, just below the first tick. If it got hot from summer stop and go, it would hit the first tick and the fans would come on. I have been concerned about it but it has been properly bled many times and always returns to the same spot.

Last season I did a DE in August and saw the gauge climb steadily through the session until it reached the second tick. It was then I was wishing it would run even cooler and was raising the hood in between sessions to start the next as cool as possible. I never knew that needle went that far up but it got some exercise that day.

Take it out for some summer track time and see if it still reads super cool.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:52 PM
Apexx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mine runs in the same spot with low miles on pump, stat, and radiator seems the norm for my car this time of year.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:39 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Great timing so I can ask a question. My car always runs with temp at the first line, but i just recently changed the turbo to oil cooled only. Now, my needle temp rests just a bit above the 1st line, my mechanic said to me that it is normal for the temp to go up a bit when you change to oil cooled only, is that true?
Old 02-07-2006, 01:42 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by lart951
Great timing so I can ask a question. My car always runs with temp at the first line, but i just recently changed the turbo to oil cooled only. Now, my needle temp rests just a bit above the 1st line, my mechanic said to me that it is normal for the temp to go up a bit when you change to oil cooled only, is that true?
Lart it sounds to me like your mech failed to get all of the air out of the cooling system. Theoretically, the car should run a bit cooler without a water line running through the turbo. The water no longer has to circulate through the hot center of the turbo.
If your guy left just a little bit of air in the system, it could cause the entire system to run a little bit hotter. His reasoning sounds like BS to me.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:46 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Lart it sounds to me like your mech failed to get all of the air out of the cooling system. Theoretically, the car should run a bit cooler without a water line running through the turbo. The water no longer has to circulate through the hot center of the turbo.
If your guy left just a little bit of air in the system, it could cause the entire system to run a little bit hotter. His reasoning sounds like BS to me.
That's what I thought. I will try to bleed the cooling system.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:38 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aventari
Thanks a lot guys!
I'm in love with this forum already

It's a great forum to be in love with...
Old 02-07-2006, 10:57 AM
tommye
Instructor

After many years of 944 driving and several thermostat/waterpump changes, my 2 cents worth:

Assuming temp gage etc. are all correct, running at 1:st line is a bit low.
It is most likely a sign of an old/leaky/tired thermostat and/or a leaky seal inside the water pump. This seal is what the thermostat seals against and it is glued or bonded or whatever onto the surface inside the water pump. It is not (normally) replaceable.
It is not really a big deal, but your engine will warm up slower and it will hurt your fuel consumption a bit. But, of course, it is nice to run things at spec......
I have exactly the same situation now with the Turbocab and I'm hesitating whether to replace pump/belts etc.

Good luck,
Tommy

Quick Reply: Why would my Turbo S run this cold?