Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Looking for LSD trans.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 06:24 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Be careful where you go for tranny work. I bought a tranny from a fellow Rennlister that was supposedly freshly rebuilt by a shop on the west coast when they installed the S2 r&p. After running the tranny for about 200 miles, I have pulled it and am sending it to Kevin Gross to have it rebuilt properly, as the PO's shop were basically idiots that didn't know what they were doing. Hopefully the tranny is saveable. What really bums me out is that I sold a perfectly good LSD tranny relatively cheap to a friend when I put this one in the car.

I have direct knowledge of two other shops that "supposedly" know what they are doing rebuilding trannys as well that didn't and cost friends of mine a BUNCH of money (same boat that I am now in). Both of these shops were based in Florida, for what its worth... I won't divulge the names, but will say this, I know for a fact that if you go to Geo B at 944Ecology for your tranny parts and to Kevin Gross at Catellus ENgineering for having it built, you will be happy with what you wind up. No financial interest in mentioning Geo or Kevin, btw...

Regards,
Old 01-14-2006, 06:34 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lart951
I am in the process of parting out this car, I should have a lot of parts for sell on ebay within the next few weeks.
What? Was the damage that bad? It seems like a shame to part out that car!
Old 01-14-2006, 06:38 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It’s not to be found in their catalog or there web site. I called and talked to a sales rep that transferred me over the shop. After asking about the price at least three times, I could tell he was getting a little short with me, he confirmed that it was a Porsche LSD with new seals and bearing. He stated that they did trany work all the time and that this was a easy job for them. So, the sale rep arranged for their trucking company to pick up the trany (I paid the shipping). I even put a stamp on my trany to be sure I got back what I sent. In any case, it came back with new seals showing and has performed flawlessly for a year now. I am a happy camper and more important, I can go faster on the track!! With the open diff I did a 180 at VIR on a wet/dry surface. The one wheel started to spin and around I went in a heartbeat. Didn't want to do that again.

This is what happened to me, I am not selling any shop or try to push any service. Do the leg work and check it out for yourself...things may have changed in a year.

Quick Reply: Looking for LSD trans.