Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

OT: High Speed Pursuit Today

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 10:01 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, nope. Mine was an M40 A1. After it was initially issued, I got to know my armorer REAL WELL. It was never an issue weapon after that. Sadly they made me give it back. The new weapons are just freaking awesome...and there are so many more opportunities to "practice"!
I'm looking into a Barret M4 based weapon chambered for the 6.8mm. Really expensive however.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:11 PM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

chris951.......
Sorry don't mean to hi-jack your thread, becareful of the advice you're offered here!!

Rock.....
"Friends don't let friends carry mouse guns"

ehall......
My AI/700 PSS tack driver

Old 01-13-2006, 10:15 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yours?

oops...Reading is fundamental. Nice.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:23 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

sadly I'll post this. For anyone who thinks I was being overly dramatic or bombastic about the "fake gun" issue, please read this article from TODAY's paper.
Eighth-grader with real-looking gun is shot by SWAT team at Fla. school; teen on life-support

KELLI KENNEDY
Associated Press Writer
Special Agent Danny Banks, with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, holds a pellet gun used by a 15-year-old student to threaten classmates and hold sheriff's deputies at bay at Milwee Middle School in Seminole County, Fla., Friday, Jan. 13, 2006. Members of a SWAT team from the Seminole County Sheriff's Office shot and wounded the student, who brandished the weapon that appeared to be a 9mm handgun, but was actually a pellet pistol modified to look like an actual firearm. (AP Photo/Brian Myrick)
LONGWOOD, Fla. — An eighth-grader was shot and wounded by a SWAT team officer in a school bathroom Friday after he pulled out a pellet gun that resembled a real weapon and later raised it at a deputy, authorities said.

Sheriff Don Eslinger said the 15-year-old boy brought the gun to Milwee Middle School in his backpack. Eslinger said two students saw it and one persuaded the other to report it, causing a scuffle.

The alleged gunman ordered one of the students into a closet, dimmed the lights and ran from the classroom. He then went around the campus carrying the weapon, Eslinger said. Deputies eventually isolated him in a restroom, and the school was evacuated.

Eslinger said negotiators tried unsuccessfully to start a dialogue with the boy, identified as Christopher David Penley.

"He did not respond," Eslinger said. "He refused to even comment. All he said was his first name. He did not drop the firearm."

When the boy raised the gun at a deputy, he shot the youth, the sheriff said.

Penley was taken to a hospital, where he was on "advanced life support," the sheriff said.

"He was suicidal," Eslinger said. "During this standoff, and during the chase, the student said he was going to kill himself or die." At one point, the boy held the gun to his own neck.

No one else was injured. The sheriff's office confirmed later that the weapon was a pellet gun fashioned to look like a 9mm handgun. The tip of the gun had been painted black, covering brightly colored markings that would have indicated it was nonlethal.

Investigators did not know why Penley brought the weapon to school. "We are looking into his past, and all kinds of different issues possibly." Eslinger said.

Classes were canceled for the rest of the day, and frantic parents arrived to pick up their children from the 1,100-student public school in suburban Orlando.

"When I saw the news, I just couldn't believe this was my daughter's school. I came right away," said Anil Santos, whose daughter, Aleister, is in eighth grade.

Sarah Tivy, 12, said some students were frightened, but she appeared calm.

"I just figured that if someone is going to bring a gun to school, then they need to be taken out of school," she said.

Kelly Swofford, a neighbor whose 11-year-old son is close friends with Penley, said he visited their home Thursday night and complained that "people were picking on him at school. I told him he needed to talk to his guidance counselor."

Her son Jeffery said Penley talked about wanting to die when the two had breakfast Friday morning. He said Penley had been fighting with another boy, allegedly over a girl.

"Everybody knew they were going to fight," Jeffery said. "I heard a rumor that he had a BB gun, but I didn't think he really had one."

Phone calls to Penley's home were not answered Friday, and a person who answered the door declined to comment.

As dusk fell, Marie Hargis stood in front of the school with a sign that read "Stop the violence." Her 14-year-old son and 13-year-old daughter attend Milwee.

"My youngest daughter is just very emotionally messed up. She started crying and said, `Mommy, I don't want to go back.' They should not fear having to go to school."

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:38 AM
jf951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a couple years ago i was driving the fri. commute home, in a rare moment of open freeway i put the spurs to it, some suv that's S as in "sport" thought he could catch up, i did the routine where you let them stay with you to about 85-90, let them get a couple car lengths up, and then really step on it so that they suddenly feel like their dragging an anchor, well anyway when we were in bumper to bumper traffic again, he pulled up right next to me and from the height of his big SUV, shined a super bright flashlight right in my face. i thought, wow, thank goodness that wasn't a 9mm.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:55 AM
hally
Rennlist Member

geez is sounds like its a high stakes game in the USA, seems like every 2nd person is packing! Only the cops and i guess hard core crims carry here and i don't think they have shot anyone in the last year. Semi-autos and pump actions got banned and bought back a few years ago to try and minimize the damage that the odd psycho does.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:55 AM
eastendr
Instructor

My 944S has security measures

Day or night

Of course, guns are frowned upon here in the UK

Rick
Attached Images   
Old 01-16-2006, 01:16 PM
mroberts
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hally
geez is sounds like its a high stakes game in the USA, seems like every 2nd person is packing! Only the cops and i guess hard core crims carry here and i don't think they have shot anyone in the last year. Semi-autos and pump actions got banned and bought back a few years ago to try and minimize the damage that the odd psycho does.
And that, my friend, is why I'm willing to give up my Porsche to move back to the land down under.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:28 PM
BigNNasty
Racer

Hmm...

It sucks when someone is tail gating you, then you do the "real slow" move...

I had white suv pull up on me (I'm doing 40 in a 35, how fast they want me to go?!?), so I thought, "they need the treatment".

dropped to 30, then 25, then 20...and thought "why and the hell aren't they passing? We reach the light, I look over, it's grandpa and grandma (not mine), so I went "My 3rd gear went out!!!"...then proceeded to dump the clutch around the turn...

For correction, my 3rd gear didn't go out, but I had to make some excuse as it was a pretty shady move to do 15 under when I have collected around 10 cars behind me! Doh!

I love catching people, and then speeding up and letting off. They'll speed up, let off. The other day stupid neon (it was definetly turbo'd, have full cat back, probably some engine mods...in other words could have blown the doors off my truck) toyed with me, then he started to take off, so I dropped here into 3rd at 45, and took off. He most likely kept his car in 4th and went on, and were pushing 70 down a hill, that is when I finally felt the need to let off and let him blow by.

It's so funny though to look over and laugh at them, cus they actually feel they need to beat some little POS truck.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:22 PM
mutzman951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Some really useful advice!

Guys and girls,

Most states, like Fl, have road rage laws on the books. If someone is messing with you on the road, slow down, and take the opportunity to thoroughly wash your windshield with at least 1 quart of washer fluid. If this doesn't discourage them, get out your cell phone and call the cops. Do your best to get the license plate and accurate description of the vehicle. I did this on I-4 from Orlando to Tampa late one night. It works! The guy bailed at the next exit!

The worst thing would be if they were psycho or loaded, and tried to harm you or your beloved _____. You fill in the blank!

Testosterone is a dangerous chemical in the wrong HANDS!

Doug
Old 01-17-2006, 01:29 AM
Rene
Racer

Guys, I agree with mutzman951 the cell phone can be mightier than the gun. Of course this depends on the situation. A close friend is a state trooper & while working the local highway received a patched call from dispatch, it was from a motorist that was involved in a road rage situation & the other driver brandished a pistol. The victim described the car perfectly because the dummy had a For Sale sign & phone number in big numbers on the back window in shoe polish. Well they caught up with him & conducted a felony stop (that means guns drawn) & took him to jail.

BTW the gun he brandished was a BB gun.

Last edited by Rene; 01-17-2006 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:12 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mutzman951
Guys and girls,

Most states, like Fl, have road rage laws on the books. If someone is messing with you on the road, slow down, and take the opportunity to thoroughly wash your windshield with at least 1 quart of washer fluid. If this doesn't discourage them, get out your cell phone and call the cops. Do your best to get the license plate and accurate description of the vehicle. I did this on I-4 from Orlando to Tampa late one night. It works! The guy bailed at the next exit!

The worst thing would be if they were psycho or loaded, and tried to harm you or your beloved _____. You fill in the blank!

Testosterone is a dangerous chemical in the wrong HANDS!

Doug
I agree. Those of you who do the slowing down thing, you are often acting as dangerously as the vehicle that is bothering you. The slow down thing escalates the problem, it doesn't teach anyone a lesson. Also to the firearms crowd. Don't EVER even think of pulling your weapon and "just flashing"it. The post above ought to tell you all you need to know. It is very much against the law to act in that manner. hally, many of us own firearms. By FAR the vast majority of American's that own firearms never have the slightest need to fire them in anger. As in all societies, the bad actors, and idiots get the press, rather than the MANY millions of law abiding gun owners. Keep in mind that of the firearms owners who posted in this thread, all of us did our best to make it clear that there was some very stupid and dangerous behavior being presented. I can only hope that most of those who did so were just being bull**** intardnet tough guys, rather than idiots who would actually follow their own advice.
It is very common for law abiding gun owners here, to go out of their way to shout down irresponsible gun owners. In the case of deadly weapons, I consider that a very good thing.
That said, road rage violence is not only common, but growing alarmingly more dangerous and more common.
I would ask guys, don't be another part of the problem. Be part of the solution. It takes two to fight.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:29 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

just to be clear, my story was about a freind. I would never do such a thing for fear of getting shot or arrested. I own a gun (if you can call it that) its a .22 longrifle, i want something else though, not so tinsy.
Eyal
Old 01-17-2006, 07:59 AM
hally
Rennlist Member

a .22 is great for rabbits, especially if they are destined for the dinner plate, head shots only! good test of skill too, u need to know your range v well. for foxes my brothers .223 is brillant. i use to be a reasonable shot as a kid on the farm, was pretty handy with the pump action too, but too little practice now, i stick to holding the spotlight mostly when i head home lol
Old 01-17-2006, 12:05 PM
eastendr
Instructor

This thread's going a bit off topic towards guns - so my apologies for the following;

I use .22LR for rabbits out to about 100 yds. For a bit more range I use a .17HMR out to about 200yds or up to 50yds on foxes. Longer foxes get a .223, deer have to get a minimum .243 in the UK, after that it's .303 or 7.62mm
Very difficult to get a firearms certificate in the UK unless you can prove you've got land to shoot over (expanding ammunition) or member of a target club (solids).

Handguns were banned here in 1997 and recently even the Brocock TAC (tandom air cartridge) is now only on dispensation on a firearms certificate and no longer on sale, despite being only 6 Ft/Lb on a pistol or 12 Ft/Lb on a rifle, same as a regular air rifle which doesn't require a FAC .... Air rifles over 12 Ft/Lb only on a FAC... I do, however, have a .357 magnum, but this has a 12" barrel and extended stock so it cannot be concealed ...

One thing we do get that you don't, however is moderator (silencer). This has to be on FAC along with each firearm and is only by additional permission. However, because of health & safety rules, it's normally quite easy to justify - Police don't want to go to the European Court of Human Rights and pay compensation because you went deaf while target shooting because they wouldn't let you have a moderator ...

Since handguns were banned and confiscated from legitimate 'club' shooters in 1997, gun crime has soared by drugs gangs etc. Handguns are readily available on the black market because of so many smuggled in illegally from the eastern block. The law says five years minimum for illegal posession of a firearm (which can even include an air gun over 6 Ft/Lb or air rifle over 12 Ft/Lb).

Unfortunately, like so many other laws now in the UK, these measures are restricting the liberty of the law abiding, while the growing criminal element (street gangs, drug cartels etc) seem to ignore them with relative impunity...

Here in London, we have probably the highest number of closed circuit cameras invading every aspect of life, particularly aimed at intimidating the motorist.

Speed cameras, ANPR (automatic number plate recognition) is used to charge motorists a 'congestion charge' to travel within central London between 07:00 and 18:30 week days, buses have cameras mounted in the front to film and prosecute motorists using the bus lanes (even if you put one wheel in the lane, which has led to a new phenomenon whereby drivers will not pull over in to a bus lane to let emergency vehicles pass because the static cameras have no 'discretion' as human policing and common sense would allow and they would most likely automatically be ticketed).

We have less traffic police and more reliance on automated process via static speed cameras, which do not improve accident rates, standards of driving or catch drunk drivers and people driving under the influence of drugs. They do, however, raise enormous amounts of revenue, but only from 'legitimate and otherwise legal' drivers with correctly registered vehicles.

The law abiding motorist is always at risk, while those with fake number plates can get away with most things as there is very little chance of being stopped by a human (traffic police) and caught. I once followed a 635 BMW along a stretch of road (3-lanes, 40 MPH) for about 10 miles at up to 80 MPH during which time he set off all 12 speed cameras (I slowed for each one then speeded up to catch up with him) with no concerns - obviously fake plates or stolen car. The cameras will have 12 nice pictures of a number plate and blacked out windows, and no chance of knowing who was driving ....

It is generally accepted that in many parts of London, as many as 1 car in 3 is driven illegally - not registered / driver without insurance / license / road fund tax paid / MOT test (annual road worthyness) etc. Police will not stop many of them becaue of 'political correctness' which is ruining society over here.

Sorry for the long rant - and it being OT.

Rick
(currently working on coil-on-plug for WUF, but a blown head gasket has intervened )

Quick Reply: OT: High Speed Pursuit Today