Old 01-07-2006, 08:57 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default KLR question

Did the KLR stay the same from 86-91 or was it changed in 88 along with the DME? Obviously the pin set stayed the same, but I am wondering if anything else changed? I need a new DME (28pin) and am wondering if i can pick up a 24pin DME and make it work (obviously with new chips for the DME and KLR). On that note, anyone with a DME or DME/KLR for sale, let me know
Old 01-07-2006, 09:52 PM
Tomas L
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think without knowing for sure that the KLR hardware (circuits) were the same but the chip programming changed a bit for the K26/8 turbo vs K26/6.

For the DME you can use a 24 pin DME and either modify it (a 28 socket and jumper wire) for 28 pin chips or you can make a 24 pin chip with the same programming as your 28 pin chip (unsless you have some special chip that's modified in the low 4 kb region).
Old 01-08-2006, 11:19 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Karl,

Its Richard Bennett, remember my TurboS KLR problems? Well from the testing I have done, 86 KLR with 89 chips is just as powerful as an 89 box with 89 chips. It works just fine. Just so happens I have a couple of KLR's, depending on what you need then for. I also have a bunch of different KLR and DME chips. I also have 86 and 89 DME's.

Richard
Old 01-08-2006, 11:26 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey richard, just the answer i am looking for. I am pretty sure the KLR is good, so all i need is the DME. Stephen tried to fix the DME board (28 pin), but said the tracks were lifting in places and he couldnt tell where a few went, so it is pretty much garbage. We tried it back in the car, but as soon as you gave it a tap, the car died and wouldn't start, so much to my dismay he was right But thats not unusual, lol. I take it putting a 28 pin socket on the 24 pin board with a jumper doesnt sound like too big of a deal. If you want to sell one of your DME's let me know what you want for one.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:36 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Karl,

Whatever you do, don't trash your DME. If its in fair shape I can fix it. Best way is to try another DME and see if that fixes the problem and then we can know for sure its yours. I need to see Stephen about the tire discussion, I am ready and willing!!

They are not my DME's to sell, they are John Clarks, I have been repairing them and comparing them on my car, as I still have an intermittent cutout. My car is strong now, and DME's and kLR's don't seem to change the bahaviour. I have checked all my connections and crank pickups to no avail. I am considering changing my ignition switch next.

If you want to try a DME I have them right now, I don't think John woul mind, and if you give me yours I can try fixing it. This week is bad though, as I am very busy at work.

Email me at samluke@sbcglobal.net
Old 01-08-2006, 11:43 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I know it is the DME, i borrowed another and that solved the problem. If you think you could repair it, you can sure take a shot at it. Whenever you stop by the shop to discuss the tires is fine, the car is naked right now anyways and just sitting there, so no real hurry (painting the front end). I'll let you take a look at it and see what you think. Thanks Richard

Quick Reply: KLR question