Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Engine girdle assembly help needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 11:36 PM
Claus Groth
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine girdle assembly help needed

I'm starting to reassemble the track engine and found that the girdle that holds the crankshaft in sticks out toward the front of the engine .014 (.36 mm) further than the block. The workshop Manual instructs to tap the girdle into alignment but there is a bushing around one of the bolts that aligns the girdle and block and the fit is so tight that there is no movement. The WS manual also states to use an oil stone to hone any surface imperfection between the parts since the oil pump must fit perfectly over both surfaces, using Loctite 574 to seal the pump, same as sealing the girdle.

My first thought was that a girdle from another engine was installed since Porsche states that the block, girdle and both balance shaft housings must remain a set. They are numbered and mine all have the same number.

No wonder that I always had a leak at the front! How could Porsche have built this engine? How could a promenent engine builder and tuner have rebuilt this engine for the PO? I don't know.

All I can think to do now is to machine the front surface of the girdle on the milling machine and polish it. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 01-07-2006, 12:00 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

There are a few good threads here on this. See e.g. https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=girdle

The girdle and block should have matching numbers stamped on them, if memory serves. I assume the align bore is the primary reason the factory wants to keep the sets together.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:07 AM
Claus Groth
Pro

Thanks. I searched but didn't find any relevant information.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:29 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Claus, you can try the freezer method for a test fit; put it in the freezer for 12 hours, take it out and do a test fit and see how the front aligns. If it's good, then you can put it back in, 574 the block, install it and torque it down, then use the oil stone if needed.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:12 PM
Claus Groth
Pro

I machined .013 from the surface today and lapped the last .001 with the oilstone. I then installed the pump, torqued the screws and one stripped! Great! Disassembled and retaped all holes. The hole was deep enough, and I had a slightly longer screw, that I didn't have to Heli-Coil. So it is finally installed and pistons are next.

How did Porsche assemble and ship something like that? Unbelieveable!

Thank you all for your advice.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:21 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I expect to strip out at least one hole when assembling, especially on motors that have been taken apart before.

Are you using oil to lube the threads when you torque things down? That helps not strip things and gives an accurate torque reading.

Glad the girdle is taken care of anyway
Old 01-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Claus Groth
Pro

When torque settings are given, the fasteners must be dry, unless specified otherwise such as cylinder head nuts on the studs. Fasteners will be overtorqued if lubricated. Standard torques, as provided by Porsche are:

M 6 = 8 Nm +2 (6 ft/lbs + 1.4)
M 8 = 20 +2 (14 + 1.4)
M10 = 40 + 5 (29 + 3.6)

I clean all of the screws as I reassemble. And now that I see how much crap was in the oil pump screw holes, I'll be retapping most of the holes, such as the oil pan screw holes.

Quick Reply: Engine girdle assembly help needed