Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Another starting problem - help

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 12:48 PM
Weston Dillard
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Another starting problem - help

I have the same problem highboy described recently - car starts fine with a fully charged battery, but not if battery is slightly weak. It will turn over fine but not start. In his case I believe it turned out to be reference sensors. I have regapped the reference sensors a couple times to no avail, as well as switching locations and wires. One thing I have noticed is that if I disconnect the temp sensor, which causes a rich condition, the car will try to fire. I then reconnect the temp sensor and it fires up. Doesn't matter if car is warm or cold. This makes me think I'm getting a really weak spark that won't ignite anything but a rich mixture at startup. I can't understand how reference sensors would do that (which doesn't mean they can't). What about coil? Can a coil be weak, or is it a matter of it works or it doesn't.

Help me out here!

West
Old 01-06-2006, 01:20 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my universal solution to no start problem: Just wiggle the reference and speed connector wires. Works everytime!
Old 01-06-2006, 05:14 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

If your mixture is overly rich you will have problems starting the car. First thing I would check for are leaky injectors and a bad fuel pressure regulator. Also check the diaphragm side of the fpr for leaks. Stock should be 2.5 bar. If all checks out than check the spark plug gap. Many 951 owners run a .25 gap witch may hurt startup.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:33 PM
Weston Dillard
Racer

Fuel pressure is within spec. I don't remember where the plugs are gapped. I'll check. Thanks!

West
Old 01-07-2006, 08:59 PM
Weston Dillard
Racer

I borrowed a coil from a friend and it seems to have taken care of it. So I suppose they can be sorta bad.

West

Quick Reply: Another starting problem - help