Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

GT vs Vitesse

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 10:53 PM
LtReid
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hp, hmmmm probably around 480-550, anywhere in the range i would love. Car to be used for, weekends and possible the gts challenge
Old 01-01-2006, 11:17 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if that's what you really want than we'll assume you intend to use 100 octane + fuel, and your getting a GIANT intercooler. At that point I would still go with Vitesse. What you are missing in this equation, (and what makes it apples to oranges) is the outstanding programming of the Vitese software, maf, piggy back, and then the turbo. On the track, spool up is a far less important aspect because you will spend virtually all of your time at 3k rpm or higher. Regardless of the GT series turbo capabilities, you will have a vital need for fuel/air ignition management. If you go with a GT turbo (a great turbo for certain) what else are you going to do to make it fit into your overall system?
By the time you do the math, you will be better off with a Vitesse stage 3, and wasted spark. YMMV
Old 01-01-2006, 11:28 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

well, I guess you need to first look at the rules for the GTS challenge.

Then be honest with yourself and figure out if you want a easy EMS or go with a custom EMS like Motec. etc.. Ie. are you good with EMS tuning?

For that hp and track use, I'd be looking at a very built lower end (2.5 or 3ltr, depending on rules).

That hp and heavy track use, I'd be looking at a drysump set up too.

You need to set a budget too. None of this is remotely cheap or affordable. What your plan?
Old 01-01-2006, 11:52 PM
LtReid
Racer

well the gts rules are pretty much unlimited because they go back power/weight ratio to put you in the classes. What is a drysump setup?

Right now i'm gonna start pieceing together everything in feb. starting off with the basics
(my wish list for the first half of 2006)
SFR Intercooler - 1500
SFR Stage 2 Headers- 2199
SFR Intercooling piping - 800
Tial Wastegate (not sure what size yet)
SFR Intake manifold - 1000

as far as ems goes, no i dont know how to tune but a have a couple guys in mind that might help me out.

after that then the new turbo. Does this look about right?
Suspension a whole nother story
Old 01-02-2006, 12:00 AM
Turbo944T
Advanced

Check out Broadfoot for a dry sump setup. Not cheap, but whoa sweet.

Get a 46mm Tial and be done with it.

You WILL need some kind of fuel and timing controller, probably standalone is your best bet given your developments. I would personally do the turbo a little earlier in the process. Add new injectors to your list by the way. Please dont tell me two pipes cost $800. With all those mods, I would think an exhaust is required, 3" min. Also, some head work would be a treat... heck its a blank canvas. You will need to address the ignition system too... sequential is nice
Old 01-02-2006, 12:05 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by LtReid
haha thats why i'm on here. And really bb is something that doesn't get my attention since thats more so for like tryin to inch out the power and plus they dont hold up as long as non-bb turbos (so i've heard), but coming back to the block, how much can it hold.

just really tryin to weigh all my options, price everything out on a limited budget (hey im only 22), and pretty much see what is the max that i can get out of this car while still tryin to compete in the gts series
There is NO SUCH THING AS A RACE CAR ON A LIMITED BUDGET! I strongly suggest you start utilizing the search feature. You cannot race an old engine for long. To race you need to rebuild the motor from the bottom up. Seriously, you need to map out the entire project with a serious budget, time line goals, and finanialschedule. Will you drive it to the track? Here'sa hint, no one else will be. Hell they won't even be running a stock body. What about a roll cage? Have you priced racing tires yet? What struts and shocks are you running? What about wheels to fit the tires? Here'sone, do you have a racing license?

I'm not trying to shoot you down here. I'm just trying to add some perspective. Racing is absolutely a rich man's sport. If you can't compete(financially) you won'tcompete on the track, and should consider building a DE/street car.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:05 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

What is a drysump setup?Its removing your oil pan and going with a special pan external oilpump and external storage tank. Theres alot more than that , google it. A must for high RPM's

SFR Intercooler - 1500 Do the math and go custom. fit the largest in there.
SFR Stage 2 Headers- 2199Good choice
SFR Intercooling piping - 800to much money, I'm building some now to sell on RL. stay tuned
Tial Wastegate (not sure what size yet)46mm, all the way
SFR Intake manifold - 1000Go with something that works with your whole head cam combo, don't throw bolt on's at your motor. You could lose HP

as far as ems goes, no i dont know how to tune but a have a couple guys in mind that might help me out.Go VR if you don't know how to tune but, You can still use what ever turbo matches your set/needs
hope that helps?
Old 01-02-2006, 12:29 AM
LtReid
Racer

ehall, i have a 83 944 for de basicly my dd. Yea i know road racing is a rich mans sport i'm only gonna do a couple events a year (like 3-4), not like fully dedicated cause i dont have the money for that. I'm just looking to have fun with my baby. As far as what you were saying about building the car from the bottom up, yea i'm gonna do a fresh rebuild but past that, my goal was to keep the internals stock if i could (save a lil money) but that goes back to why i'm tryin to limit the car to no more than 550. But then again i dont know what is vanurable (sp?) around that kind of power. And haha what do you think i'm doing now, i'm mapping out my stuff so when feb hits, i can hit back. And yea i'm gonna drive my baby to the track (i might trailer it on my friend trailer to the hotel down the street from the track, but it will be driven to the track maybe sometimes drive it all the way to the track with a trailer following me(i hate trailer queens). As far the gts challenge they go back power to weight ratio, so lets say i was push around 500rwhp and the car+me weighed in at 3,000 pound, i would be pushing the limits of the gt4 class. the main reason i'm not going with the 944 cup is because i just feel its to restrictive about what you can do to your car even though it will save you money.

evil, what is RL? Keep me informed about that. As far as the intercooler yea i'll probably go with something else but this was the first one i saw, as far as exhaust, still doing my shopping thru the search fuction on that.

Also, oil squirter for the bottom of the pistons who sells these and based on my setup so far do you think this is a good idea
Old 01-02-2006, 12:34 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

at 500hp on the track, absolutely everything on the car is vulnerable. I would put some serious money into the bottom end. It can stay basically stock, but you really want to address #2 rod bearing failure. Get the crank drilled in additon to a dry sump. The amount of abuse the entire car takes under racing conditions is just so incredible compared to a street car. Frankly, I'm not sure you even want 500 hp for the track. You'll just destroy tires and constantly be fighting torque oversteer.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:41 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

evil, what is RL? Keep me informed about that.
Also, oil squirter for the bottom of the pistons who sells these and based on my setup so far do you think this is a good idea
RL = Rennlist.... I will post when I'm done, I'm getting a new welder as we speak.

Oil squirters can be added and are a good idea but make sure you find someone whos done it before.

Driving to the track and having fun is great. You'll be fine. Just remeber, breakdowns suck. I always think a cheap steel trailer pays for itself 1000 times over.

Having someone with very good machining skills goes a long way. You can make a stock bottomend last but I'm not to sure about boosting to 550rwhp for long periods on the track is good, nor do I think you need that.. 350-400rwhp is plenty. then you need to learn how to use it..lol, good luck and have fun
Old 01-02-2006, 12:44 AM
LtReid
Racer

well i might start off in a lower class, but still tryin to decide everything, trust me i'm looking into everything right now. lol it doesn't help that i'm a fairly new wrencher but oh well
Old 01-02-2006, 12:54 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

well i might start off in a lower class, but still tryin to decide everything, trust me i'm looking into everything right now. lol it doesn't help that i'm a fairly new wrencher but oh well
Great idea. 500rwhp in street non widebody is alot!! Putting that HP to the ground is very hard. 300-400rwhp is alot but doable.

Start out with a quality rebuild, sort out the rest of the car and get safety items(cage etc)!! If streeting the car, a cage will be dangerous. your head against the roll bar is no good!

If they place you based on hp etc then who cares what you do. Stay stock and have fun.. its the cheapest.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:56 AM
LtReid
Racer

well while we are here and it is raining outside over here. As far as the bottom end goes. What would you replace and what kind would you replace it with (not to familar with the bottom end). When i said 550 i really meant around 5

lol this thread is like pieceing together my lego collection (back when i was 8)
Old 01-02-2006, 12:59 AM
LtReid
Racer

stock is good for my 83' but i want power haha, some say i'm a dumbass but oh well, i'm a dumb *** thats going for road racing which many people dont do
Old 01-02-2006, 12:59 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Before you start spending your $ on performance (even though I would love to get some my way ) spend some time and money taking care of the safety mods that you will need (if you haven't already). A 500rwhp 951 will require a very talented driver and lots of tires to keep it in place. On a narrow body 951, 350-400rwhp is about all the chassis/tires can handle.

Oh, and it goes without saying it, take all advice here with a grain of salt!

Quick Reply: GT vs Vitesse