Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Suspension Woes- now changed to Lart posting pics of Airbag suspensions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 03:32 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Suspension Woes- now changed to Lart posting pics of Airbag suspensions.

So i have the 951 checked out since i've been feeling the front end really soft for some reason.

so the Big-O checks it out, and they inform me that i have KYB inserts in the front

i honest to god have no idea how that happened, but it needs to get fixed. the outside is a koni yellow housing with KYB whitey inserts.

does anyone have a whole Koni strut assembly or maybe some lightly-used inserts?

OR

should i just nip this whole deal in the bud and go for coilovers? can anyone suggest any good sets that are streetable? i havent even been to a track, and next year i plan to do a few auto-x's but that's about it. mostly i need it for real roads, especialy if i'm making friendly mountain runs during the year, and the roads around my house are none too forgiving.

the thing is, i just need the front inserts. i think the springs are 250-LB, not sure which make, and it feels like i have 250-lb springs, but the inserts are just terribly soft, and it makes the rest of the car soft. i mean, in general i can take small, technical curves very well, if i'm not careful, my head can end up on the passenger seat headrest in a turn. but on long sweepers, it's loose and any little irregularity or twitch makes it feel unstable.

i need suggestions, or offers...or something, hahaha.

Last edited by 951Obsession; 12-30-2005 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:05 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Sounds like someone got 'fibbed' to 2 sales ago or they were replaced after Chuck sold it. Sounds like it had Koni adjustables before, how could anyone miss that? The last owner must have sold them because the car had Koni coilovers in front when I saw it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ht=pearl+white

The KYB's really suck, especially the inserts, rears are cheap and easy to replace but longevity is half what a Koni or Bilstein will be be.

Last edited by KuHL 951; 12-28-2005 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:18 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Sounds like someone got 'fibbed' to 2 sales ago ot they were replaced after Chuck sold it. Sounds like it had Koni adjustables before, how could anyone miss that? The last owner must have sold them because the car had Koni coilovers in front when I saw it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ht=pearl+white

The KYB's really suck, especially the inserts, rears are cheap and easy to replace but longevity is half what a Koni or Bilstein will be be.

that's just the thing, tho. it's got Konis in the rear.

it seems like it still has the coilovers.

i have no idea why the hell the ground control camber plates are there if it has konis. i mean....racers edge or something would be acceptable, but the ground control makes it clunk.

i guess i just need the koni inserts.

anyone wrecked a 951 recently and want to donate your inserts?

edit- you are correct, steve, the inserts really suck.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:51 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ground control makes VERY GOOD camber plates. Something in your specific set up is making it clunk.
As for the inserts, call Paragon and pick up a set of real koni inserts. I would try to figure out the exact model of bilstein that is in the rear. Once you know, Jason@Paragon will be able to get you all set in terms of making sure your have a good street set up.
You might also take some pics of what you currently have.
We;ll be able to tell you really fast what you're looking at.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:59 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ehall
Ground control makes VERY GOOD camber plates. Something in your specific set up is making it clunk.
As for the inserts, call Paragon and pick up a set of real koni inserts. I would try to figure out the exact model of bilstein that is in the rear. Once you know, Jason@Paragon will be able to get you all set in terms of making sure your have a good street set up.
You might also take some pics of what you currently have.
We;ll be able to tell you really fast what you're looking at.

i will try to get the car up and take pics tonight. (if i can get a jack under the damned thing). rears are koni yellows. after all that, i need a good installer that isnt going to charge me a goddamned arm and a leg for install because it's a porsche.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:34 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Somethings been kludged up here. KYB doesn't make an insert for the sealed 951 strut. Only Koni makes a special "cut the strut" insert for the sealed strut. Inquiring minds want to know what's going on here. Post some pics. Perhaps someone has adapted an early rebuildable strut to the car.

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 12-28-2005, 06:53 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Juan if it is too messed up, I have serviceable cores for you, if you need to go to Paragons kit. It will save you core charge.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:58 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently did the ground control conversion, thanks to Paragon (Jason, you guys rule!). I'm running 400# springs up front an it's completely streetable. I like things a little on the stiff side, though it actually feels smoother than the 250# Weltmeisters and koni yellows set to full stiff I had before. Damper valving and spring rate is the key here. So it sounds like you already have ground control coilovers? If so, you might think about upgrading to somewhere between 300-350# springs in the front. You'll have less body roll, the car will feel more stable, and you can run the dampening softer to compensate (which can smooth out the ride alot). IMO, with the 250# springs and Koni yellows, if I set them to full soft, the car just did not feel stable, moved around too much (the rest of my suspension is decent condition), and just generally did not feel very much like a sports car.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:25 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

i'm working something out with shortyboy, he's got koni sports from an '86. i'll post pics tonight of my situation and we'll see.......

i'll probably need stiffer springs after all this...
Old 12-29-2005, 01:42 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

if it doesn't work out maciek has some for sale. https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=14903
Old 12-29-2005, 02:10 AM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Default now we get into the BIG PICS

ok guys, does this mean coilovers with ****ty KYB inserts??.

well, i mean from what i've seen on other 951's and from paragon's site.

here's the pics.-

whole thing

bottom

half-way upwards

bottom to top

closer up

the actual spring

the rear shocks taken from the front. yes, that is a dumped wastegate, and no, that jack isnt holding any weight, that's there as an emergency precaution, there's 2 4-ton jackstands outside of the picture

Old 12-29-2005, 02:16 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

looks like koni's to me. Is that grease I see, or are they leaking? That looks very much like someone did the Paragon conversion, but left on the original perch mounts. The rears look like koni sport shocks.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:22 AM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ehall
looks like koni's to me. Is that grease I see, or are they leaking? That looks very much like someone did the Paragon conversion, but left on the original perch mounts. The rears look like koni sport shocks.

that's just grease, and i'm assuming crap from my "DustMaster" brake pads and cross-drilled rotors.

yeah, paragon conversion and sport shocks in the rear. the only thing is i have KYB inserts.

AUGH.

jason@paragon wanna chime in on how to have me throw some money at paragon and get this all fixed so i can grip grip grip the road??

anyone have any clue what springs those are? i find the company if i google it and they look pretty high-end, lol. but where can i find what # they are?
Old 12-29-2005, 03:41 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

those are hypercoil springs. They're very good. On the topof the spring is a scribe mark with the spring rate on it.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:01 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Juan, if you are interested I have some Full leda 24 way adjustable shocks with external resivours, hypercoil springs with caster camber plates.

Pm me

Quick Reply: Suspension Woes- now changed to Lart posting pics of Airbag suspensions.