Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 01:24 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wide Fender & Rear Body Kit For Rolex

To All:

I just started doing some research on this and wanted to get alot of people's opinions on this. I don't know, maybe I should have created a poll instead?

Anyway, the only reason why I'm going to consider this is for traction purposes only, not cosmetic reasons per ce. But obviously the wider parts will make the car look different to some degree - good or bad I don't know. So I'm looking to see if people can help me here by posting some pics, and giving me their thoughts on how a wider fender & rear body kit would look on a street car. I know these kits are used often for race applications, but as I said, I'm contemplating this because I want to be able to put wider tires on in the future. Thanks everyone in advance for your help.

Old 12-20-2005, 01:28 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob,

The only problem is the finish, its hard to make it mint. Plus you will need some type of fender lining because, when a rock gets kicked up, it will spyder the paint.
AIR parts are nice.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:37 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you see this car when at Lindsey's ?
http://www.lindseyracing.com/project/page2.html

I agree with evil 944t, it will be hard to get show quality like the rest of your car.

With the correct offset, some pretty massive wheels can be fit under the stock body for a mostly show/street car.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:54 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by David Floyd
Did you see this car when at Lindsey's ?
http://www.lindseyracing.com/project/page2.html

I agree with evil 944t, it will be hard to get show quality like the rest of your car.

With the correct offset, some pretty massive wheels can be fit under the stock body for a mostly show/street car.
Thanks for the link, believe it or not I forgot about their project car. I know David, my car is in mint shape and I want it all to match too. Also, I'm hoping to see if someone has pics on a street car.

Evil: I know, I was thinking about the paint matching with the rest, even though I have an awesome auto-body shop. And I was just going to do the fenders, not the whole car. And I didn't know AIR made them too? I only looked at GT Racing.

Have either of you guys seen this on a street car? Thoughts?
Old 12-20-2005, 02:00 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

I have seen an AIR widybody trackcar rear end. It was real nice. They had a custom front end.

You can get it done real nice. It just takes alot of time and money. I have no doubt it can look like a factory job but you will pay.

The front end of my car looks awsome (gaps and paint) but has cracks in the paint from stones getting kicked up in the wheel well. I have to build an inner wheel well.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:09 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by evil 944t
You can get it done real nice. It just takes alot of time and money. I have no doubt it can look like a factory job but you will pay.

The front end of my car looks awsome (gaps and paint) but has cracks in the paint from stones getting kicked up in the wheel well. I have to build an inner wheel well.
Sounds like it will be very expensive, paint may not be a "perfect" job in matching (which I need, Im that ****!), and that I may have gaps too. So far, doesn't sound good on a street car, at least not for me.

There was a guy on eBay who had his 2.5L posted last week. I saved some of the pics he had. He had a widebody, but just in the rear, the front was stock. When I get home later tonight, I'll post them and you guys can tell me what you think. It's just hard to tell even with the pics. I guess I would need to see it in person. Oh well.

Old 12-20-2005, 02:13 PM
951TurboEuroSpec
Instructor

You could always have your fenders heated then rolled and stretched out a few more inch's ive seen this on 1 other 951 and i know the VW crowd is known for doing this. It looks really good when done correctly.. No wide body glass parts needed although the 968 TRS wide body flair extentions with rivets are hot.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:08 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

How wide were you contemplating?
Its certainly possible to run a 315 with the right wheels and stock fenders. With a little gentle rolling, an even wider tire is possible. Or maybe without?? Anyone have a fix on the widest wheel & tire combo that will fit with stock rear fenders?

One caveat on the answer. The largest wheels that will fit on my car [with 1000# springs and lots of -ve camber] may not be possible on a street car with lower spring rates and less aggressive camber settings.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:18 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 951TurboEuroSpec
You could always have your fenders heated then rolled and stretched out a few more inch's ive seen this on 1 other 951 and i know the VW crowd is known for doing this. It looks really good when done correctly.. No wide body glass parts needed although the 968 TRS wide body flair extentions with rivets are hot.
Thanks. Ive heard of this being done on an EVO. My friend just had it done, and it came out great. I didnt think it could be done with an 1989 model? Just my lack of knowledge on this whole process. Who would actually do this? A damn body-shop would be totally clueless. Go to a Porsche shop that has experience? Any web sites you can provide to show how it was done and what it looks like?

Old 12-20-2005, 03:27 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by APKhaos
How wide were you contemplating?
Its certainly possible to run a 315 with the right wheels and stock fenders. With a little gentle rolling, an even wider tire is possible. Or maybe without?? Anyone have a fix on the widest wheel & tire combo that will fit with stock rear fenders?

One caveat on the answer. The largest wheels that will fit on my car [with 1000# springs and lots of -ve camber] may not be possible on a street car with lower spring rates and less aggressive camber settings.
I had initially talked to MattH on here about what size I could go to. Not sure you know him. But his recommendation is was this: Front 255/35 and Rear 285/30. And to me, that isn't going to be wide enough, hence, why I am just doing the research into wider kits. I dont know the off-sets of the top of my head, but I did tell him, the year of my car, and the rims (which are listed on my web site).

As I just posted above, that fender rolling sounds like it may be perfect for me. But I just don't know 1.) who would do it. And I would like to see if some one has pics of this, before and after? 2.) I have no clue what size I could fit in the back, give my rim off-sets, rim sizes, tire selection with this fender rolling process? But this fender rolling sounds like it could be the "best" option for me.

And even with the recommendation of the 285s for the back, I still don't think they will be wide enough to help me put down the traction. I've heard I "may" be able to fit 295s given my configuration; but that's a gamble I'm not sure I want to do.

Old 12-20-2005, 03:28 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure on early turbos but 295 will fit on 88-89 turbo S. I might even tempted to try an dfit 305s without mod. I have a picture or link somewhere that i posted a few months back of how it looks on my car.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:31 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mudbuddha
Not sure on early turbos but 295 will fit on 88-89 turbo S. I might even tempted to try an dfit 305s without mod. I have a picture or link somewhere that i posted a few months back of how it looks on my car.
We had a thread on this about 1 month ago, remember? It was about the widdest tires you could fit on our cars. It's kind of like along that same line. I remember you posting your car too. I think I posted my offsets on that thread, and my car is an 1989 too. But as I mentioned earlier, this sounds like it is the way to go for me. Just need someone who knows what the hell they are doing, and then, how to figure of what I can fit?

Old 12-20-2005, 03:39 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Whatever you do, DO NOT use fiberglass on a street car. Metal is fine, but that's it.... You might be able to run 305 on a narrow body with custom wheels and stiff suspension...
Old 12-20-2005, 03:40 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by fast951
Whatever you do, DO NOT use fiberglass on a street car. Metal is fine, but that's it.... You might be able to run 305 on a narrow body with custom wheels and stiff suspension...
I guess cracking is a real potential problem John?
Old 12-20-2005, 04:01 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

How about extensions like the ones used on the Motec 968 Turbo?
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Wide Fender & Rear Body Kit For Rolex