Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 01:08 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 3" Muffler Selection

Spent lots of time in the archives without much luck.

I'm looking for the straight through muffler that sounds the most like stock, they don't need to hear me comming. Considering all the BS the state is doing with the $4M of homeland security money to track down cars with engine mods, I'll be getting SFR's exhaust w/ CARB cert'd CAT.

I have determined the Flowmaster is too loud and the Borla XR-1 may be pretty damn close.

Anyone with a Edlebrock RPM?

TIA
Note to self, have O2 bung welded on...
Old 12-20-2005, 07:17 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Dynomax 3" straight through race muffler (all welded seams) on the Callaway with no cat and it is quiter than my 84' NA with the B & B 951 cat-back with a cat. It is not stainless though, but IIRC you can get the same muffler in 304SS however it is called an UltraFlow instead. I have read some posts that the Edelbrock RPM sounded pretty good.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:01 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

I just put the Magnaflow on my car. Gave it a nice, deep thoaty sound and is not much louder than stock.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:19 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Magnaflow mufflers are excellent quality for the price. Another decent and cheap alternative is Borla "Turbo" mufflers. They come as large as the stock 2.5" in/out, are stainless steel and only about $100-120. Unfortunately the 3" is a dual out, which would look odd on our cars. I have a Borla turbo on my stock exhaust and it's actually more quiet than stock. In a 3" it would be louder of course, though it should still be fairly silent. Jegs.com is the cheapest I've found them. If it's not quiet enough, a resonator before the muffler will help quite a bit.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:09 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah, the magnaflow is good.

contrary to yourself, i want louder. i might get another straight through that's louder. i might do borla or flowmaster.......NEED MORE LOUDNESS....
Old 12-20-2005, 05:42 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

My speed and driving habits are "loud" enough, as I'm sure NO ONE here will attest to If I'm at 6000 and it sounds like I'm at 3000, puuurfect.

Also, it's not known as "arrest me red" for the hell of it!
Old 12-20-2005, 11:31 PM
951Boost
Rennlist Member

ibkevin, so SFR will sell their 3" system without a muffler? I was under the impression they wouldn't. Please post your decision regarding muffler choice as I am in the same boat........my days with loud exhaust are over.

Considering all the BS the state is doing with the $4M of homeland security money to track down cars with engine mods
Oh yeah, what's the story on that.

TIA
Old 12-21-2005, 02:46 AM
snappy
Racer

I was/am in the same boat as you, the borla I had was to load for me. Got an Anza and that to was to load, Then I got a magnaflow and I think it was even loader, but it was one of the nicest sounds through the complete rev. range. So I ended up getting an ANZA "resonator" TIP, and got that added to the end of the magnaflow. It . not just did it tone the sound down a bunch, but it completely changed the final sound of the magnaflow. It's nice throaty at idle all the way to 4k then it open up, pitch goes up and starts to flatten out to a whooshing sound. hard to explain.**

** Now I have to note here that this exhaust is the one I have on my 944 86' N/A. So I am pretty sure that it would sound even better on the turbo when its done spooling, I will know within 2 months when my 402 project is done
Old 12-21-2005, 03:11 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Welcome young blood,

I have a few decades logged in the Rockies, good times! Few people are above you when your sitting at 13K!, or more! A friend and I did a backpack trip up the frontside of Mt Evans in the middle of Dec during an awesome storm. The folk's down in Denver figured us for gone, but they got the worst of it.

Next morning, the east bowl was a beautiful as the front range ever gets! Damnit I miss elevation.

Visit the SFR site. I expect to speak with Tim tomorrow.

Send me a PM
Old 12-21-2005, 04:05 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear the magnaflow is nice. I have a 4inch SS one but, unfortunately I wont know what it sounds like on the car till prolly mid/late next week.

i will post up some video so everyone can hear what it sounds like. My old lindsey system used the flowmaster 40 series muffler and while I like the way it sounds it can get raspy. Hopefully with the larger system and straight through muffler it will get a deeper sound to it

Quick Reply: 3" Muffler Selection