Best MAF ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 09:01 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jlturpin
I bought a MAF and Injectors from John back in the Spring. I sold the car and he and I still talk via email once a month. He has the best customer service of any vendor I have ever purchased from, no matter what they are selling. I did'nt get the kind of service John gave me when I bought and 80K car if this tells you anything.
Let him do his research and make his own conclusions. All of us gave 100% honest answers based upon facts, no BS. If he doesn't want to listen, then let him learn the hardway. Oh wait, I guess I shouldn't say that yet. Not until John gives me my last commision check, ha!

Old 12-17-2005, 09:21 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
Oh wait, I guess I shouldn't say that yet. Not until John gives me my last commision check, ha!

When are these commission checks suppose to start?
Old 12-17-2005, 09:44 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

"Does anybody have any experience with this Air Mass Meter? It looks like a superior product and the price is reasonable."

Looks great if you own a 944. If you own a 951, there doesn't appear to be an application for your car.

I don't get a dime from any vendor. If you don't believe what was posted here about Vitesse Products, perhaps you shouldn't ask the question. There is no one making better MAF equipment for a 951. Those converting AFM to MAF have all proven to have gross miscalculations with A/F ratio, hunting idle issues or worthless customer service.
If you want cheap, then use this thing in the link and go ahead a start a new "Blown Headgasket" thread. Good luck.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:02 AM
Tomas L
Pro

I have experience of the Bosch HFM5 MAF but not of this vendor.
For me the HFM5 works very well, the car has run perfectly.
I did not use a conversion box like this kit does. I changed the DME chip transfer function and a couple of other parameters to get a true MAF chip. Since the HFM5 has a rather special voltage/flow curve it is not possible to use the standard transfer function/load calculation in the chip so I had to rewrite some of the program code with a new transfer function/load calculation routine.
And as I said, it worked very well right from the start, I only had tom make some small adjustments the the fuel maps to get rid of some strange AFM specific data. I also doesn't use any piggyback at all so the chip has to be perfectly tuned since I have no other means of changing AFR.
Attached Images  
Old 12-18-2005, 08:08 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a piece of Swedish innovation

Also from Germany come some good MAF's, for example Transaxle Tom's system. Vitesse is not the only way to go
Old 12-18-2005, 08:11 AM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kos_007
C'mon guys! I have 1986 951 and I am looking for the best AFM on the market."Hot Wire" AFM is now obsolete! Are you on Vitesse payroll? I just want some honest opinion....
*Jack Nicholson mode on *
"you cant handle the truth !"

Sorry Dude...Its kind of like standing in a Marine Platoon and asking what branch of service is best.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:40 AM
special tool
Banned

They are giving you honest opinion.
Unless you are a computer engineer or just a super-duper geeeeeenius like Thoms L, you are going to blow your headgasket using a sensor that is not compatible with the Motronic.
Are you using your Motronic?
Old 12-18-2005, 10:19 AM
jlturpin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by awilson40
*Jack Nicholson mode on *
"you cant handle the truth !"

Sorry Dude...Its kind of like standing in a Marine Platoon and asking what branch of service is best.
Semper Fi, One Shot one Kill (as a Marine)
Always Fathful, One MAF from Vitesse (as a Vitesse customer)
Old 12-18-2005, 11:21 AM
ewainwright
Racer

In case you are wondering there is another option out there. It’s the Guru MAP system. Generally speaking after paying for the system you may be lucky enough to receive it two to three months down the road. Customer support is second to none –if you can get the vendor to respond, Further the vendor’s response to your inquiry can be extremely suspect. Next, the product itself is in a class all by itself. Reports of poor idle, troubling off idle response, and backfiring have all been reported at sometime or another along with some quality control issues. The running issues have been tracked to chips provided which the vendor promised to correct. So far its been over a two year wait for the correction. However, if you are interested in a used well sorted out MAP system, please PM me. I’ll rush deliver it to you after I receive an MAF from Fast951.

PS Guess who gave me the most help on sorting out the MAP – Fast951. Enough said.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:23 PM
kos_007
Instructor

OK guys. I was thinking about getting the Vitesse AFM long time before I posted the thread. I guess I just wanted additional input and encouragement before jumping the fence.The main reason for going with Vitesse is that my final goal is the full stage 2 setup. Also good customer support is crucial.I have another question, though...What additional parts do I need to get with stage 2 ?
I believe I would need bigger injectors, EBC or MBC, wideband AFR monitor, boost gauge - anything else? Also, how much tuning is involved after the initial installation? Thank you for your objective and impartial opinion !!!
Old 12-18-2005, 01:24 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

John can and will give you the best advice, so contact him direct.
My opinion, for what it matters, is you need this at a min. to go with the Vitesse MAF kit.
1. A wideband AFM
2. bypass the stock boost control with a manual boost controller like the Accuboost
3. a mechanical Boost guage.

Also, get the SMT6 piggyback from them when you get the the MAF kit.
You will save a few $$ getting it up front and you will want it later anyway.

Stock injectors are fine at 15psi with the stock turbo but discuss future upgrades with
John and he can put that image on the chip already, so when you upgrade, you just have
to flip a switch.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:40 PM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

Other things to consider if you go with a stge2 kit.

1. Upgraded clutch. The stock one will slip in 1st and 2nd.
2. LSD if you don't have one.
3. Wider tires. It's too easy to smoke stock sizes.
4. A spare set of shorts the first couple of times you really get on it!
5. Something to wipe the grin off your face everytime you drive it.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:06 PM
Tomas L
Pro

Originally Posted by awilson40
My opinion, for what it matters, is you need this at a min. to go with the Vitesse MAF kit.
1. A wideband AFM
2. bypass the stock boost control with a manual boost controller like the Accuboost
3. a mechanical Boost guage.
These three items should be first on the list for anyone that plans to modify their 951 in any way (as for item 2 there are solutions that retains the stock KLR that also works, it's a matter of taste).
Old 12-19-2005, 02:12 AM
IanS
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tomas L
I have experience of the Bosch HFM5 MAF but not of this vendor.
For me the HFM5 works very well, the car has run perfectly.
I did not use a conversion box like this kit does. I changed the DME chip transfer function and a couple of other parameters to get a true MAF chip. Since the HFM5 has a rather special voltage/flow curve it is not possible to use the standard transfer function/load calculation in the chip so I had to rewrite some of the program code with a new transfer function/load calculation routine.
And as I said, it worked very well right from the start, I only had tom make some small adjustments the the fuel maps to get rid of some strange AFM specific data. I also doesn't use any piggyback at all so the chip has to be perfectly tuned since I have no other means of changing AFR.
Sounds impressive. Is this something you did as a personal project, or are you selling the new map?
Old 12-19-2005, 07:22 PM
Tomas L
Pro

Originally Posted by IanS
Sounds impressive. Is this something you did as a personal project, or are you selling the new map?
It has been a personal project and a challenge for me so far but I may decide to start selling kits in the future, I don't know at the moment.

Quick Reply: Best MAF ?