Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Picked up my 951 :-)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 12:40 AM
pstickne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked up my 951 :-)

So, anyway, I bought a 951 about 2 months back and drove it back from Maine over the past week which was also the first time I saw it for real. The return trip was about 1500 miles total to Tenessee with some detours.

Absolutely fun to drive ... noisy as heck but man, I normally hate driving and enjoyed this trip (And that included driving past NASDAQ/Macy's during rush hour traffic in New York City

It needs some fuel tuning as it runs rich normally and starts to run lean when I start to lay hard on the boost. It uses a Split Second piggyback system so, once I figure out how to play with it ... and find a dyno ... anyway, ignoring this longish interlude, what would cause it to smoke alot at idle? It's whitish smoke but starts billowing out as soon as it warms up. I am reading just over 15:1 AFR at idle ... and lots of smoke :-/ Over the entire trip (1500 miles) I didn't notice any coolant loss and only about half a quart of oil.

Also, the car absolutely seems to hate [starting in] the cold.
When it's cold (it's been low-40's) I have to gas it for a couple seconds to keep it from dying and it starts at ~700RPM and works its way up to ~1100RPM as it warms up. It also is REALLY HARD to shift (requiring some muscleing) until it's been driven for a few minutes. Is this slow startup normal?
Old 12-07-2005, 12:56 AM
jy951
Instructor

Originally Posted by pstickne
So, anyway, I bought a 951 about 2 months back and drove it back from Maine over the past week which was also the first time I saw it for real. The return trip was about 1500 miles total to Tenessee with some detours.

Absolutely fun to drive ... noisy as heck but man, I normally hate driving and enjoyed this trip (And that included driving past NASDAQ/Macy's during rush hour traffic in New York City

It needs some fuel tuning as it runs rich normally and starts to run lean when I start to lay hard on the boost. It uses a Split Second piggyback system so, once I figure out how to play with it ... and find a dyno ... anyway, ignoring this longish interlude, what would cause it to smoke alot at idle? It's whitish smoke but starts billowing out as soon as it warms up. I am reading just over 15:1 AFR at idle ... and lots of smoke :-/ Over the entire trip (1500 miles) I didn't notice any coolant loss and only about half a quart of oil.

Also, the car absolutely seems to hate [starting in] the cold.
When it's cold (it's been low-40's) I have to gas it for a couple seconds to keep it from dying and it starts at ~700RPM and works its way up to ~1100RPM as it warms up. It also is REALLY HARD to shift (requiring some muscleing) until it's been driven for a few minutes. Is this slow startup normal?
Hate 2 rain on your parade - but you have some work ahead of you. First, your AFR @ idle is a little high. It should be around 14.7 (stoich) with occaisonal bump ups to 15.0 on your wideband. A constant 15.0 or higher @ idle is higher than desired.

You might want to check for oil leaks. Common areas are oil pan, lower balance shaft housing, etc. Worn valve guides could be the source of your white smoke at start-up, but this could also be a symptom of something else.
There are others on the board who I'm sure will chime in.

Having to muscle the gear shift is never a good sign, I suspect that you might have pressure plate or slave cylinder issues here. I'm only going with my own personal experience of having owned a 951, and other high performance turbo cars, your best bet is to have a PORSCHE trained mechanic look at the car. Specifically, a tech who has a CLUE about 951s. I've been burned by HIGHLY RECOMMENDED Porsche shops who have butchered my 951 (before I got a clue and some technical knowledge about these machines).

The cheapest route is to use an independent shop (lower hrly rate), but if you can't get a good recommendation on a local shop, bite the bullet and go to a Porsche dealer. Make sure that you inquire about their hourly shop rate before you sign your financial life away. Good luck and enjoy the 951. They are a BLAST to drive when maintained properly.

Old 12-07-2005, 01:10 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Dont ever go to the dealership. While they rape you, you'll be lucky if they know a damn thing about 944's. You better off poking it with a stick.
I wouldn't recomend a shop right away, JY seems to enjoy being bent over...
The smoke at idle out the tail pipe would most likely be the turbo, but I would do the usual compression (maybe a leakdown too) My money is on turbo.

Tune it.

Hard shifting could be a few things, can we have more detail? Does it grind, noise? simply hard to get in gear? The cold temp outside probably makes it worse.
As for the poor idle at startup, thats simple, its the ISV (Idle stabalizer valve) My geuss is since this is a modified car, its missing in action. Either add it back, or fix the one on there to get that issue sorted.

Eyal
Old 12-07-2005, 01:36 AM
jy951
Instructor

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
Dont ever go to the dealership. While they rape you, you'll be lucky if they know a damn thing about 944's. You better off poking it with a stick.
I wouldn't recomend a shop right away, JY seems to enjoy being bent over...
The smoke at idle out the tail pipe would most likely be the turbo, but I would do the usual compression (maybe a leakdown too) My money is on turbo.

Tune it.

Hard shifting could be a few things, can we have more detail? Does it grind, noise? simply hard to get in gear? The cold temp outside probably makes it worse.
As for the poor idle at startup, thats simple, its the ISV (Idle stabalizer valve) My geuss is since this is a modified car, its missing in action. Either add it back, or fix the one on there to get that issue sorted.

Eyal
NOT EVERY DEALER is a bunch one eyed morons. Just take the time to do the research about whether they are experienced servicing 951s - period. Plus, I don't know about where YOU LIVE - but I have a local PORSCHE dealer who lets ME purchase the parts and they will do the install on my 951.

I ALSO HAVE AN INDEPENDENT SHOP - that allows me to do the SAME thing. What's the major difference between the two - the DEALER charges a HIGHER HOURLY SHOP RATE - DUH - no surprise there!

I use the PORSCHE DEALER only when my INDEPENDENT shop is OVERBOOKED. So, I KNOW going into a project the difference in $$$ between the dealer and the INDEPENDENT shop, because it's strictly LABOR, I supply the parts to both!!!!

In fact, this PORSCHE dealer just completed a timing belt/pulley upgrade on my 86 951 (because my independent shop was booked) and their quote was EXACTLY what Clark's Garage states is an acceptable price for this job.

Lesson for YOU -> learn how to NEGOTIATE your way through life - and start by refraining from dumb a$$ statements like - > "JY seems to enjoy being bent over..." You have NO CLUE about me getting RIPPED OFF by a DEALER, it's total supposition on YOUR part!

Maybe because of YOUR "know it all" attitude - YOUR local PORSCHE DEALER loves sticking it YOU, but that hasn't been MY experience!!!!!

Old 12-07-2005, 01:44 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jy951
NOT EVERY DEALER is a bunch one eyed morons. Just take the time to do the research about whether they are experienced servicing 951s - period. Plus, I don't know about where YOU LIVE - but I have a local PORSCHE dealer who lets ME purchase the parts and they will do the install on my 951.

I ALSO HAVE AN INDEPENDENT SHOP - that allows me to do the SAME thing. What's the major difference between the two - the DEALER charges a HIGHER HOURLY SHOP RATE - DUH - no surprise there!

I use the PORSCHE DEALER only when my INDEPENDENT shop is OVERBOOKED. So, I KNOW going into a project the difference in $$$ between the dealer and the INDEPENDENT shop, because it's strictly LABOR, I supply the parts to both!!!!

In fact, this PORSCHE dealer just completed a timing belt/pulley upgrade on my 86 951 (because my independent shop was booked) and their quote was EXACTLY what Clark's Garage states is an acceptable price for this job.

Lesson for YOU -> learn how to NEGOTIATE your way through life - and start by refraining from dumb a$$ statements like - > "JY seems to enjoy being bent over..." You have NO CLUE about me getting RIPPED OFF by a DEALER, it's total supposition on YOUR part!

Maybe because of YOUR "know it all" attitude - YOUR local PORSCHE DEALER loves sticking it YOU, but that hasn't been MY experience!!!!!

No, I learned how to take a wrench, and put it on a bolt and turn. Working on cars is not a hard thing to do or learn. just a big metal puzzle. I have never taken my car to a dealership or shop. I bought it with no mechanical knowledge.
Oh and btw, I am the negotiating king. I always get the best deal.
JY, you, my freind, are the one who comes on here making dumb *** statements, over and over. You annoy me, and I know I'm not alone, your advice is always worthless. Why would he go to the dealer to do a compression test and check for an idle stabalizer valve.
Eyal
Old 12-07-2005, 02:17 AM
jy951
Instructor

No, I learned how to take a wrench, and put it on a bolt and turn. Working on cars is not a hard thing to do or learn. just a big metal puzzle. I have never taken my car to a dealership or shop. I bought it with no mechanical knowledge.
Oh and btw, I am the negotiating king. I always get the best deal.
JY, you, my freind, are the one who comes on here making dumb *** statements, over and over. You annoy me, and I know I'm not alone, your advice is always worthless. Why would he go to the dealer to do a compression test and check for an idle stabalizer valve.
Eyal
Again, another IGNORANT statement about ME from your mouth - YOU HAVE NO CLUE whether I've wrenched my 951 or my Audi (B5) S4 biturbo. In fact, YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW THE TOWN WHERE I RESIDE, yet you spew DOGMA like you KNOW me - talk about making statements with NO basis in FACT - now that's dumba$$ !!!!!!

I can only guess that GOD took a holiday and LEFT YOU IN CHARGE. MUST BE NICE to be a a SELF PROCLAIMED KNOW IT ALL!!!!

Get a LIFE -- 7000+ posts tells me - YOU HAVE NO LIFE - THIS IS A DOCUMENTED FACT!!!!

I seriously wonder if the passenger seat of your 951 has had been occupied by anyone besides one of your nerdy "pimply faced" friends, with the both of you swapping goofy stories about wastegate pressure.

I know that YOU and SOME others on this board get all tingly throwing stones at JY951, but y'all seriously need to GET A SOCIAL LIFE. Your "in the thousands" posts history documents the fact that you are socially retarded.

Old 12-07-2005, 02:48 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Again, another IGNORANT statement about ME from your mouth - YOU HAVE NO CLUE whether I've wrenched my 951 or my Audi (B5) S4 biturbo. In fact, YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW THE TOWN WHERE I RESIDE, yet you spew DOGMA like you KNOW me - talk about making statements with NO basis in FACT - now that's dumba$$ !!!!!!

I can only guess that GOD took a holiday and LEFT YOU IN CHARGE. MUST BE NICE to be a a SELF PROCLAIMED KNOW IT ALL!!!!

Get a LIFE -- 7000+ posts tells me - YOU HAVE NO LIFE - THIS IS A DOCUMENTED FACT!!!!

I seriously wonder if the passenger seat of your 951 has had been occupied by anyone besides one of your nerdy "pimply faced" friends, with the both of you swapping goofy stories about wastegate pressure.

I know that YOU and SOME others on this board get all tingly throwing stones at JY951, but y'all seriously need to GET A SOCIAL LIFE. Your "in the thousands" posts history documents the fact that you are socially retarded.

Wth is wrong with you, perhaps you have been smoking too much?

Last edited by lart951; 12-07-2005 at 04:21 AM.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:50 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Wow dude, you're insulting a 21 year old kid. You feel better about yourself? Nothing of substantial value in there, but I don't want to ruin pstickne's thread any further. If you want to continue this off the board, please feel free to do so. I'll see what I can do about getting you banned.

pstickne, I am very sorry for taking what should be a helpful and happy thread and trashing it. This guy just gets on my (and everyone elses) nerves. He's made more enemies in his 70 posts then I have in my 7000.
I hope my technical post is helpful to you, and I hope we can get on with this thread as you intended.
Eyal
Old 12-07-2005, 03:00 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If you want to continue this off the board, please feel free to do so. I'll see what I can do about getting you banned.
This guy just gets on my (and everyone elses) nerves. He's made more enemies in his 70 posts then I have in my 7000.
Eyal
That's a excellent idea jy951 is a total loser and a moron.

***-clown award issue to him without a doubt, congrats jy951. Hey I wonder if this is your 2nd time?

Last edited by lart951; 12-07-2005 at 04:22 AM.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:14 AM
JE_951
Pro

Congradulations! Im currently looking for my first 951 right now and i am very jealous!! I hope you love it!
Old 12-07-2005, 03:37 AM
jy951
Instructor

Originally Posted by lart951
Wth is wrong with you, perhaps you have been smoking too much?
hmmmm....1700 posts...another guy with a stunted social life...who also claims to born in 1961..but the maturity of your posts better reflect a birth year of 1991!!!

Old 12-07-2005, 03:42 AM
jy951
Instructor

Wow dude, you're insulting a 21 year old kid. You feel better about yourself? Nothing of substantial value in there, but I don't want to ruin pstickne's thread any further. If you want to continue this off the board, please feel free to do so. I'll see what I can do about getting you banned.

pstickne, I am very sorry for taking what should be a helpful and happy thread and trashing it. This guy just gets on my (and everyone elses) nerves. He's made more enemies in his 70 posts then I have in my 7000.
I hope my technical post is helpful to you, and I hope we can get on with this thread as you intended.
Eyal
"Wow dude, you're insulting a 21 year old kid."

hmmm....that explains EVERYTHING...based on the tone of YOUR posts I thought that you were at least FIVE years younger!!!!!

Old 12-07-2005, 03:58 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

"Wow dude, you're insulting a 21 year old kid."

hmmm....that explains EVERYTHING...based on the tone of YOUR posts I thought that you were at least FIVE years younger!!!!!

take it off this thread loser.
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

hmmmm....1700 posts...another guy with a stunted social life...who also claims to born in 1961..but the maturity of your posts better reflect a birth year of 1991!!!

I am seriously offended, you are insulting a 44 year old,

Yeap, I am very inmature for a 44 year old guy. I just love to have fun with weak minded fools like you. Eyal has a life, the only sorry person on this equation without one is you . If you are as mature as you claim to be, why do you attack other guys? I personally think that you are some kind of punk coward that gets cocky behind a keyboard. I still don't understand why you talk so much crap, if all you have to boast about is an audi station wagon.

Good night I think you need to go to sleep before your mommy finds out you are still awake.
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick Reply: Picked up my 951 :-)