Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

I thought you guys might appreciate this more...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 08:26 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 928 calipers I'm thinking of are 928-351-423-03 and 928-351-424-03. 928 GTS...I was confused.

Tim, yes the brake ducts scoop air from under the car and direct it to the rotor through the plastic piece mounted to the strut. It's a great set-up for the S2 since it does not have the 944 turbo brake ducting running from the front through the wheel well.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:31 PM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't realise the S2 bumper cover was different from the turbo.
I wonder if this ducting offers any improvement over the turbo setup?
Old 12-02-2005, 11:04 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The cover is the same but the turbos have the ducts that bolt to the underside and go through the wheel well. On the S2, the oil cooler is in the way on the passenger side..it's longer than the turbo's so I guess it wasn't an option. The batwing is also different on the turbos to acommodate the ducts.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:55 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahmet
(I can lock up my R comps on 8 inch wide wheels all around on a non MO30 brake car w/race pads from 130mph, consistently and it was a modified turbo not a stock S2),
What does being able to lock up the brakes mean? I could probably lock up 305 hoosiers at 130 mph with 914 brakes. That doesn't mean anything on the track. The reason we get bigger brakes is because more surface area = less brake fade. In other words, it will take the brakes longer to get hot.

Aribop, you are going the right way and doing the cooling first. With the proper cooling and pads, the stock brakes are probably more than you will ever need. However, I say still upgrade.

Oh and the big black 928GTS brakes are the same as the 993 TT other than the color. (The 993 also used a different rotor, but they are interchangeable.) The 928s4 brakes are not big blacks. They are the same as 951S brakes.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:35 AM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tedwright
Oh and the big black 928GTS brakes are the same as the 993 TT other than the color. (The 993 also used a different rotor, but they are interchangeable.) The 928s4 brakes are not big blacks. They are the same as 951S brakes.
There we go that's what I wanted to know. So I have a spare set of 928S4's but they're not big blacks then...
Old 12-03-2005, 12:13 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Well you will be missing out on Brake Fade, which can be fun to experience very badly heat soaked brakes. But it is only fun once, and then you will think it is lame.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:36 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by tedwright
What does being able to lock up the brakes mean? I could probably lock up 305 hoosiers at 130 mph with 914 brakes. That doesn't mean anything on the track. The reason we get bigger brakes is because more surface area = less brake fade. In other words, it will take the brakes longer to get hot.

Aribop, you are going the right way and doing the cooling first. With the proper cooling and pads, the stock brakes are probably more than you will ever need. However, I say still upgrade.
What does being able to "lock up" mean? Nothing without one qualifying word that's in my post, which was consistently. I did get fade with that set up, but never to the point of interfering with treshold braking where too much pressure on the pedal would result in less than maximum deceleration, as in lock up. More surface area helps in heat dissipation, "we" also get bigger brakes to increase the capacity of our heat sinks, and for better feel and modulation, as well as more even pad wear, and longer component life due to lower temps (wheel bearings, possibly tie rods, etc).

I agree with the second paragraph I've quoted from you. Cooling is key, and with proper cooling, even factory brakes (-pads and fluid) will be more than adequate on any street legal S2 that doesn't have forced induction or otherwise a very heavily worked engine. I agree with all of that second paragraph, but the last sentence... Well, bigger brakes DO look better!
Ahmet
Old 12-03-2005, 01:13 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ahmet
Cooling is key, and with proper cooling, even factory brakes (-pads and fluid) will be more than adequate on any street legal S2 that doesn't have forced induction or otherwise a very heavily worked engine.
Ahmet

heh.
and I dont see why everyone has it in there head that if your engine is puny you arent allowed bigger brakes...
and if your engine is beefy, you MUST have bigger brakes.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:03 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Oh c'mon, an S2 is not puny. I'm just saying that (in my opinion anyway) going beyond MO30 is overkill on one. The benefits do not outweigh the costs. Ofcourse, it comes down to preference...
Ahmet

Quick Reply: I thought you guys might appreciate this more...