Old 12-01-2005, 12:09 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wind Band - anyone seen this?

I was ordering some parts for my boat and stumbled across this:

http://www.gmpartsnetwork.com/Produc...et/Dynojet.htm

It looks pretty interesting, the price is about average with others and more than the Zetronix but that black gauge with the white face has almost a VDO look to it and would certianly look good in the pillar pod with the same VDO vac/boost gauge combo. It has USB data logging, software, etc. There are .pdf files for FAQ and another with all the hardware.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:52 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Bret!!

That one looks nice.

Hey, could this one be used the way it is, i.e. without the controller seperate?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AEM-U...93895335QQrdZ1
Old 12-01-2005, 01:03 PM
jy951
Instructor

Originally Posted by toddk911
Hey Bret!!

That one looks nice.

Hey, could this one be used the way it is, i.e. without the controller seperate?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AEM-U...93895335QQrdZ1
I currently have this wideband 02 in my 951 - it's the SHINIZZLE!

I paid a little more than the ebay price that's listed - but I bought it a year ago (December 04) - so pricing was higher because it was new to the market. It's my understanding that the controller is built into the gauge; that's what makes it so unique. I am completely satisfied with my unit.

BTW, I have this sensor linked into MAFterburner - I'm happy with my tuning capability from both. Now, I need some MAF chips. Hmmm...it's almost christmas.

Old 12-01-2005, 01:06 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

I like the package. It would be nice if it had a digital AF reading though...not so big on the needle sweep.

Neato page...
http://www.widebandcommander.com/tutorials.htm#
Old 12-01-2005, 01:15 PM
jy951
Instructor

Originally Posted by testarossa_td
I like the package. It would be nice if it had a digital AF reading though...not so big on the needle sweep.

Neato page...
http://www.widebandcommander.com/tutorials.htm#
Hey Tess,

That's the nice thing about the AEM 02 sensor - it has a digital read out and a color sweep (blue thru red) surrounding it. Very easy to see BOTH visually. I would buy the AEM again, in my opinion, it was worth the $$$.

Old 12-01-2005, 01:22 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

do the sweeping leds on the AEM gauge ever bother you during night driving? I personally like a dark cabin at night because it keeps me from being distracted from the road, and I would think something like that would bother me. Have you ever noticed it to be a problem?
Old 12-01-2005, 02:09 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Ok, cool. Glad I asked.

I bet guess that one would not allow datalogging like the others?

how about this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3ARTQ%3AUS%3A1

Brett: would that place be open for a group buy?
Old 12-01-2005, 02:21 PM
jy951
Instructor

Originally Posted by aeronautica86
do the sweeping leds on the AEM gauge ever bother you during night driving? I personally like a dark cabin at night because it keeps me from being distracted from the road, and I would think something like that would bother me. Have you ever noticed it to be a problem?
No, not really. That's probably because I have the gauge mounted just under the radio (in that open space under the radio in stock 951s). I also have my boost gauge mounted there too. So, I just look down when I want to look at my AF or Boost gauges.

I have a RENNLIST gallery, but it is one of the early ones, and it's buried in the gallery forum. One of the pics is that of my gauge pod (with a narrow band AFR sensor that I owned before the AEM) which I purchased from the now defunct Huntley Racing - remember those guys?

Link:

JY951 Gallery
Old 12-01-2005, 02:25 PM
jy951
Instructor

Originally Posted by toddk911
Ok, cool. Glad I asked.

I bet guess that one would not allow datalogging like the others?

how about this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3ARTQ%3AUS%3A1

Brett: would that place be open for a group buy?
Yeah, but I don't need data logging from my AEM gauge because MAFterburner does data logging. I synch my AEM wideband 02 with MAFterburner (which MAFterbruner allows you to do) and do ALL my data logging from MAFterburner. Like I said before, I am happy with this tuning combo.

Old 12-01-2005, 06:19 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Todd, don't know, all you can do is ask then ask John D. Like I said, I was looking at upgrading my cam and lifters in the MasterCraft and stumbled across the wideband.

Sorry it took so long to reply, this shipyard, repairing all the damage after Rita is a PITA: meetings, review drawings, inspect this, condem that...I'm headed to Padre tonight for
Old 12-01-2005, 06:40 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ski
Sorry it took so long to reply, this shipyard, repairing all the damage after Rita is a PITA: meetings, review drawings, inspect this, condem that...I'm headed to Padre tonight for
Hey Bret,

I saw a couple oil drilling rigs yesterday at the Port of Pascagula, guess they were in for repairs also. I was at the Chevron refinery, dang weird looking stuff going on there.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:13 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, half of the anchored semi's are damaged between Katrina and Rita

So far our damage is around $37M, but even that's still a living document. The structure is fine, it's all the accessories - mooring chain and wire, control systems, electronics out the yang especially lights, radar(s), anchor winch control systems and control cabs. All of the third party inspections that are required after something like this...

We were drilling in an area that took a direct hit from Rita, in her path. There was a BP spar, the Mad Dog (new in 04) that had a data recorder. They had to ship it off to retrieve the data, as it was damaged, but get this: they were 12 miles from us and their Wind data showed 172mph for 2.35 hours and three waves of 82ft, seven seconds apart as the maximum. So with a storm that had a 38 mile radius, we got the same. We snapped mooring wire, 3 3/4" diameter, breaking strength, 1.35M pounds, like manilla rope, it was hanging shredded when we boarded. The Marianas was blown 148 miles off location, grounded itself in 54 ft of water, we destroyed 4 3500 hp thrusters, and when #3 azimuth and shaft failed, we flooded 5 areas with salt water. Thank goodness for hydraulics because they don't care if they're underwater or not. Divers to seal, we got it pumped out and now the repair begins. sorry for the OT
Old 12-02-2005, 07:22 AM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

A bit OT: It’s not the height of the waves that matters, It’s how they "move"

In the Norwegian sea... they often during winter measures average wave height to 90 - 100ft.. (average in so being an average over 100 waves)And that is with winds only at 156mph..
There are a lot of oil rigs here, but the waves are hardly any problem.. The reason Is the depth of the water. The rigs are standing on a much deeper water her . 500 – 720ft. And the mooring wire could stretch a lot more before breaking .. But occasionally they would break just aswell.

That said, when really strong winds the sea often seems flat .. The most dangerous waves appears when the winds start to increase to this speed and when it starts backing down. Then the waves would start breaking..
Old 12-02-2005, 08:00 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

The wind heeling moments of this vessel are very great, as you can tell from the covered parts. That being said, the vessel was left with a good KGt and KGl margins ( highest point G can rise without becoming neutral or unstable), the GMt was better than normal in storm conditions because of the amount of VDL onboard at the time, which should have left a very stable vessel in terms of "moments", ft pounds of force/reaction from outside forces, free surface in the slack tanks was minimal (the sloshing affect if you will).. no sense going into full stability analysis here. Part of the problem was that we were in 5800 ft of water, the waves came 7 seconds apart, coupled with 170+ winds, and on a taught line mooring system rather than a conventional catenary system - our hardware to preset anchors with sub surface buoys. Can you imagine the wave trough, couple that with the heave AFTER the wave...this is why we had saltwater on the rig floor and panels knocked loose at a height of 112' above the water line.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:25 PM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Do you work as a "stability officer" ( lack of better words) ?
I gues you have table showing the GM at most condition, and where to trim the rig at any given condition to get optimum stabilty in poor weather .
Do you drill at 5800ft .. ?

You`ll have to shoot some video next time.. I got some footage frome way back on vhs, but then it was "only" winds of 125kn..

Quick Reply: Wind Band - anyone seen this?