Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Alternative Header Options

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 02:53 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did check all bolts that appeared like they had any remote association with the pipes, and everything was tight, in fact, I had to use a fairly large breaker bar on almost all the bolts I actually had to remove. I suppose there is a chance I could have missed something, seeing as I did overlook the bolts that mount the oil fill tube heat shield.

Here are a couple of pics of that 100 dollar miata single-piece header I was talking about. It was actually 150 shipped, from ebay. He got the pipe knowing it would be marginal quality (we're both college students, so there's financial reality), but the only area that seems to need addressing is the porting where it meets the cylinder head, which he plans on having cleaned up at a machine shop. I'm not a metallurgist, so I don't really know the specifics on the metal, but it is a fairly thick mild stainless of some sort. Definitely a superior design over the stock.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:06 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would love to see a more reasonable aftermarket header/crossover, but..... just the 4 into 1 collector is $400 from Burns stainless, so I don't see any "cheap" options possible.

Is'nt Lindsey working on a header/crossover ?
Old 11-29-2005, 03:55 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David Floyd
I would love to see a more reasonable aftermarket header/crossover, but..... just the 4 into 1 collector is $400 from Burns stainless, so I don't see any "cheap" options possible.

Is'nt Lindsey working on a header/crossover ?
Yes they are, but not as of yet. Before I bought my headers, I looked into a few companies. After reading alot of threads, talking to some other people I know, and definately the test in European Mag, I decided to go with the SFR Stage 2. He also makes a Stage 1 which I believe is cheaper. When it comes to headers, bar none (so far) Tim's are the best made and gave some respectable RWHP too. I have the Stage 2 on my car. Special Tool has either the Stage 1 or 2 on his, but I can't remember. Also, I've heard nothing but bad things about the Broadfoot ones. That people actually lost power, let alone that the company is next to impossible for customer support.

Old 11-29-2005, 08:14 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd pay you $150 to through that thing in the garbage.... just kidding. You can't compare F-bodied cars and Miata's to a 951. There are way more of those cars out there than 951's. The more cars out there, the more people supply parts for.

I don't see how you can compare that to a SFR header. Different material, quality and parts.

For someone to make a header in there garage like a SFR header, would require $2-4k TIG welder, a 220v outlet, someone to pay for electricity, the stainless bends, a notch maker or lathe, belt sander, a machined single flange or 4 independant flanges ( something you or a machineshop would have to mill for you ), Welding rod, v-band clamp, turbo flange and wastegate tie in.

On top of that, you have to know how to weld.

SFR and Lindsey etc.. also have to pay for overhead, marketing, saleries etc..
Old 11-29-2005, 09:35 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by evil 944t
I'd pay you $150 to through that thing in the garbage.... just kidding. You can't compare F-bodied cars and Miata's to a 951. There are way more of those cars out there than 951's. The more cars out there, the more people supply parts for.

I don't see how you can compare that to a SFR header. Different material, quality and parts.

For someone to make a header in there garage like a SFR header, would require $2-4k TIG welder, a 220v outlet, someone to pay for electricity, the stainless bends, a notch maker or lathe, belt sander, a machined single flange or 4 independant flanges ( something you or a machineshop would have to mill for you ), Welding rod, v-band clamp, turbo flange and wastegate tie in.

On top of that, you have to know how to weld.

SFR and Lindsey etc.. also have to pay for overhead, marketing, saleries etc..
I'm not saying that these headers are equivalent, but they are an option that isn't available with the 951. It's more that Porsche people won't generally put something that isn't the best on their cars that drives off low-end manufacturers, not necessarily low production numbers.

Most of the capital items you listed above are ordinarily hired, not purchased. The knowledge, well, there's an exception.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:47 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Swagger93
Most of the capital items you listed above are ordinarily hired, not purchased.
I'm just trying to tell you why the costs are high. You can buy the stuff and do it yourself or pay someone(who bought the equipment) $80 per hour to do it.

I'm not picking on you, I just wanted to let people know that not all items are cheap to make, some are but, headers aren't.

I think most people don't want cheap products, they just want cheap parts. We all know, you get what you pay for. As far as headers go, as you know, they are under serious heat and stress. They need to be built right.

As luck would have it, I am going to build some header/crossover pipes soon. There is a good chance I might offer them for sale too but they won't be low quality and they won't be $150. More in the range of $1500. 321 SS, v band etc..
Old 11-30-2005, 02:19 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
Yes they are, but not as of yet. Before I bought my headers, I looked into a few companies. After reading alot of threads, talking to some other people I know, and definately the test in European Mag, I decided to go with the SFR Stage 2. He also makes a Stage 1 which I believe is cheaper. When it comes to headers, bar none (so far) Tim's are the best made and gave some respectable RWHP too. I have the Stage 2 on my car. Special Tool has either the Stage 1 or 2 on his, but I can't remember. Also, I've heard nothing but bad things about the Broadfoot ones. That people actually lost power, let alone that the company is next to impossible for customer support.

The SFR headers are awesome and well worth the money. God himself could not produce as clean a weld as Tim. Also, I am pretty sure he includes a LIFETIME guarantee against cracking.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:24 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Talking

Originally Posted by evil 944t
I'm just trying to tell you why the costs are high. You can buy the stuff and do it yourself or pay someone(who bought the equipment) $80 per hour to do it.

I'm not picking on you, I just wanted to let people know that not all items are cheap to make, some are but, headers aren't.

I think most people don't want cheap products, they just want cheap parts. We all know, you get what you pay for. As far as headers go, as you know, they are under serious heat and stress. They need to be built right.

As luck would have it, I am going to build some header/crossover pipes soon. There is a good chance I might offer them for sale too but they won't be low quality and they won't be $150. More in the range of $1500. 321 SS, v band etc..
Yeah, and I can understand all that. I'm more or less bitching because I'm in college and don't have the financial resources for new headers; though I agree, for the good stuff you pay the price, and the price for the claimed quality of the part is fair. I usually look down on people who do anything "cheap" or ricey to their cars, unless it's some cool original DYI done properly (subjective as that may be).

It'd just be nice to get some cheap headers to get me through a year or two, which equates to about 5,000 miles (if that) for me. In the meantime-- anyone selling a crossover pipe? I have some nice '86 offset turbo fuchs....maybe some closer shots would entice.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:46 PM
juanchovidal
Instructor

Call Dr.mechanics (787)525-6064.
I give him my stock headers for free.
Tell him to give you his.
They are not perfect but pretty good.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:50 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by juanchovidal
Call Dr.mechanics (787)525-6064.
I give him my stock headers for free.
Tell him to give you his.
They are not perfect but pretty good.
I don't know if I'm real comfortable calling someone like this without knowing a little more.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:13 PM
juanchovidal
Instructor

Let me call him.

Quick Reply: Alternative Header Options