Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive
View Poll Results: What should I do with my car?
Fix the stuff, sell it, take the loss like a man and buy something already done
18.18%
Build the car up myself
54.55%
Drive into wall
27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

What should I do with my 951

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 06:55 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts
Default What should I do with my 951

So, I am kind of at an impass here with my car.

I want to do some form of racing, PCA, SCCA, or more then likely 44cup. Having said that, I am not sure if I should work on building up my car towards that end or buy something else.

If I buy something else, already done, I would sell my car first. That is the part that won't be much fun. Currently I need to fix a numbrer of things that would disuade a potential buyer. A/C leak, shifter leather, leaking oil pan gasket, leaking power steering fluid, ISV causing erratic idle. I really should pull the engine and clean everything up in side the engine bay, flip the motor over and do the rod bearings and the gasket at the same time, and replace a bunch of the hardware on the way out.

But, I would likely do those things anyways, save for the A/C which I would remove if I were to build my own car. I am not even sure how much I can get out of this car anyways. With the amount of work and maintenance records I should do alright. It is not a pile.

I have a lot of money in maintenance in this car, just like everybody else. Consequently, I know everything about it. Unlike something somebody else has already built. I couldn't imagine some of the horrible hacks out there on race cars.

The other thing that is annoying is that it is red. I can't stand red porsches anymore. I want another color.

So, should I cut my losses, fix the stuff, and sell the car to use the money towards something already built. Or, use the opportunity to build something myself, and have even more knowledge of the 951 and know everything about the car.

Edit: I voted Drive into wall

Last edited by Gator_86_951; 11-05-2005 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:59 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally, id build it myself.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:58 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

buying a well sorted car that is already race prepared would likely cost alot less than building it yourself, that being said I voted for "build it yourself" because though that would be more time consuming and more pricey, you could ensure that it was done right and done the way you want it, not how someone else wanted it.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:27 PM
mjensen
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am an avid do-it-yourselfer, motivated and just plain enjoy being a gearhead. I would rather take the time, spend the money and enjoy the build process with the untimate goal of really knowing what you have and knowing what to fix when something goes wrong. Just my two cents...
Old 11-06-2005, 01:33 AM
Kit_Chris
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heavily modified cars usually sell for a lot less and there's a reason, while the sum of all upgrades is worth quite a bit, cars rarely have the things YOU really want. You may come across a 951 with 15K in upgrades, but you'll care for only half the stuff and will want to change the other half, for this reason I'd rather build the car myself, in the long run it's cheaper than starting from scratch with an unknown stock car or a modded one that has lots of stuff you want to change anyway. Nowadays, cars modded with anything else than Vitesse stuff are sub-optimal, any Vitesse product is therefore a sunk cost, factor that in somewhere.. modded cars aren't such a good deal unless you come across the perfect one, and that's rare!

Red looks menacing in other driver's mirrors, it's all good!

Regards,
Chris
Old 11-06-2005, 12:00 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I voted for fix it/sell it/buy something already done and sorted. you still need to diy on a car already done, there is always work to be done on a race car. you'll save a lot of money buying a car already completed, tons of money. my dad and i bought an scca ita eagle talon for a little over $5k. it would have taken $25k to buy a used talon and do all the work that went into that car, not to mention is has history and has been proven on the track already.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:22 PM
snappy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's easier to fix something you build yourself. "repetitive motion and all". but is some cases it breaks easier as well

Quick Reply: What should I do with my 951