Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

X post-968 rear end who wants to see it done!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 04:06 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation X post-968 rear end who wants to see it done!

Here is what I have to offer.

A donor parts car to test on.(donated by another rennlister)
A 968 coupe rear clip (spare tire well back)
A slightly worn 968 bumper cover

A full 968 rear(in guards red) set-up includes:
Cover, tail lights, bumper struts, support, license plate bracket....and probably some more.

and my 86 951

If you have ever wanted to see this done, or ever wanted to try it...here is your chance.

I figure experiment on the donor parts car rear for fit and interference.
Then once we are satisfied of the best way to do it, then move to my actual car.
My actual car has a ding in the lower rear quarter so I figured, why not. Underneath was some bondo, so I am hoping that the damage from someone's previous accident does not effect my 968 conversion.

I am taped out as far as funds go, so what you see is what you get. I am not sure where or when this would take place but response will probably dictate that. Now if there was some place just inside of Oklahoma, that would be a drive but I imagine we could do it there.

We will need tools a place to do it and some skilled labor-or someone who is sure of themselves.(body,welding) I am located in the city of Crowley(Dallas Fort Worth) and can bring the needed parts and car(s) to any location within that area. So if you have a shop or a nice place to keep it during this conversion that would be good. I wish I could offer pizza and beer, but my wallet is bone dry....well there might be some room....

I figured this would be a good get together to take pictures, shoot the breeze and answer once and for all what would be required to get this job done....maybe we could put an article together and send it to excellence....or whoever wants it.
I figured this was a project within the DIY category(although on the outskirts and this was the best way to demonstrate this fact. I know there will need to be some painting afterwards, so I will have to figure that out later after the body work.....unless someone likes to paint

It is up to you all. I just have the parts. If nobody really wants to do it, then I will just wait until next year and do it myself...no biggy. I also have a set of 968 mirrors and handles that are just aching to go on afterwards
And if anybody wants to play a sponsor role, then I have two quarter windows that I would not mind tastefully decorating with your logo's. My front windshield corner is already spoken for.

And feel free to post what you might think will be problems etc to the other thread. -->HERE<--
Old 11-01-2005, 06:59 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Not a diy job...by a long way. Not hating or anything but this is a very involved process.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:03 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

However, you have the right parts available to do the job. This is how I would want to proceed if I could find the parts at the right price. I ran the idea by one of my techs and he estimates 40 plus hours of labor plus paint etc. (he's highly skilled).
Old 11-01-2005, 07:30 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Best of luck, Thats a big undertaking. Its very doable but it will cost a good penny even with the parts.

You would need wire for the welder,body shop materials, sand paper, primer, paint, etc..

Just prepping to paint me race car costs alot and I had no major bodywork.

I hope you do it, it would be cool. I just want you to realize it would take a very charitible act on someones part to help you for free.

Burma said it best, 40hrs with a skilled tech. $$ per hr add up real quick + tools..ouch
Old 11-01-2005, 07:35 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i love step-by-step procedures, good luck, testa!.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:26 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its funny you post up about doing this conversion. guess whats being done to my car while i type this.....haha

i ordered everything from german auto dismantlers. david was a pleasure to deal with and a friend of my fathers owns a collision center.

I will be posting pics aftwards. i havent bought the hatch yet but, i figure i will do that when i do the side mirrors,door handles,side skirts,ect. for now im just doing the whole rear end.

I will post pics up as well as video just like there is with anything i do. Good luck to you.....i have been told my car will look like sex on wheels in two weeks
Old 11-02-2005, 10:34 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
its funny you post up about doing this conversion. guess whats being done to my car while i type this.....haha

i ordered everything from german auto dismantlers. david was a pleasure to deal with and a friend of my fathers owns a collision center.

I will be posting pics aftwards. i havent bought the hatch yet but, i figure i will do that when i do the side mirrors,door handles,side skirts,ect. for now im just doing the whole rear end.

I will post pics up as well as video just like there is with anything i do. Good luck to you.....i have been told my car will look like sex on wheels in two weeks
Well, if you are doing it then there would be two of us around the DFW area...I just lost my originality

I have all that is needed including the charitable folks to help. I just posted here to see if some local folks wanted to get involved.
It is just a matter of getting it all together at the same time.

The one thing I don't have is the experience....but now....I am looking in your direction porshhhh951

Quick Reply: X post-968 rear end who wants to see it done!