Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Road Atlanta DE this weekend - back on track at last!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 10:42 AM
shmark
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Road Atlanta DE this weekend - DIDN'T LAST LONG

Anyone else going? 10/29-30 at Road Atlanta, I can't wait! Just looking for some fellow boostheads. This will be my first track event in four years, and I can finally shake the rust off. I used to run 6-10 events a year and had a full track-prepared 914 to play with. But my company imploded and put both myself and my wife out of work (note to self, make sure we always work in different places). After spending the past four years concentrating on family and getting back on track in life, I can afford to play again and get back on track in the car!

YEAH BABY!!!!

Last edited by shmark; 10-31-2005 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:01 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I will be there #99 come by and say hi.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:30 PM
shmark
Drifting

Can do. I'm #42 BTW. Going to showcase any new products?
Old 10-23-2005, 02:20 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

No Showcase, I'm just there to drive, instruct and have fun. No work planned..
Old 10-24-2005, 01:26 PM
dacula951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark....I was at Road Atlanta this past weekend with my 86 951 and did the street car parade around the track during the SVRA event. It was my first exposure to any kind of track running, lots of fun. Where can I get more information on DE? My 951 with 86K is also in great condition (although judging from the pics your's looks even nicer) and certainly want to preserve it but would also like to occasionally have a chance to open it up a little and improve my track skills. The track is only about 20 minutes from where I live. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:40 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Join the PCA (www.pca.org), the local PeachState chapter (www.peachstatepca.org) hosts 2-3 DEs a year. The local BMW club also hosts few events a year. Road Atlanta/ Panoz have track days as well..
Old 10-24-2005, 02:45 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fast951
I will be there #99 come by and say hi.
You need a pit crew ? I can check air pressure and wash windshields
Old 10-24-2005, 07:31 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by David Floyd
You need a pit crew ? I can check air pressure and wash windshields

David, The weather is supposed to be nice, come on down. It has been so long since I've driven the car and so many changes gone into it, I probably need an instructor much more than a pit crew LOL.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:15 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a good idea, David - maybe I'll join you.

We can make sure nothing falls off....
Old 10-26-2005, 12:41 PM
gasman123
Intermediate

Heys guys. I'll be definitely be there! I've driven RA many times with Panoz but this will be my first PCA event. Sounds alot more serious / structured. Hopefully my recently accquired Lindsey Racing turbo-monster will see fit to make it out of the shop by then! I'll be in #8.

Mark T
Old 10-26-2005, 02:56 PM
shmark
Drifting

So we have #8, 42, and 99. David & dacula951, come on by. I've run Road Atlanta many times, but this will be the first in a 951. I love the track, but will be taking it easy at first. I'm stuck in Connecticut at the moment, back home on Friday to finish the final couple things, will be at tech at O-dark-thirty Sat. morning.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:58 PM
shmark
Drifting

Originally Posted by dacula951
Mark....I was at Road Atlanta this past weekend with my 86 951 and did the street car parade around the track during the SVRA event. It was my first exposure to any kind of track running, lots of fun. Where can I get more information on DE? My 951 with 86K is also in great condition (although judging from the pics your's looks even nicer) and certainly want to preserve it but would also like to occasionally have a chance to open it up a little and improve my track skills. The track is only about 20 minutes from where I live. Thanks.
You definitely need to come by. I used to live in Lawrenceville and being that close to the track, it's a crime not to get over there as much as possbible. Thanks for the compliment, I'm trying to get it as nice as possible, but I'm also more a track guy than a q-tip guy. Somehow rubber marks, road rash and cone prints look good to me.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:54 PM
dacula951
Instructor

Mark, my daughter is having a B-day party this weekend, but I'm sure I'll be able to sneak out at some point. Sounds like a great opportunity to at least see what it's all about. Unfortunately, track running is going to have to wait until I do a clutch job as it has started to slip under power (and besides it looked like the event was all booked up!). Maybe this will be the final weekend of driving it before I dig in to that job.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:18 AM
shmark
Drifting

Unhappy BOOOM!

Well my fun didn't last very long. I got in one and a half sessions on Saturday morning before things went bad. I was at the top of the hill at turn 3 when I saw a huge cloud of smoke behind me, followed by a loss of power. I coasted through the esses and pulled off in the runoff at turn 5, trying to stay off the racing line, only to be completely enveloped in clouds of smoke.

Definitely coolant, and all of it came out the tailpipe. Vaporized the entire thing, not a drop left in the system. At this point it looks like I blew the head gasket and I'm just hoping that's all that happened. The car is at the shop right now waiting for the diagnosis.

Before that she was running soooooo well, running 15-16psi, very cool temps, and I was very impressed with how well the Pilot Sport street tires were doing. Now I'm just wondering what went wrong. Some hot spot caused the gasket to go and after all the work I put into the car, I suspect it just wasn't tuned well enough.

Hopefully it won't be too bad, we'll fix it and be back out for more in January!

It was very nice meeting some fellow rennlisters and I hope your weekends went better! John, as soon as my car is well again you will be getting a call. I want to get it tuned properly once and for all.

Last edited by shmark; 12-08-2005 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:56 AM
dacula951
Instructor

Oh no! I was there Saturday afternoon looking around and couldn't find you...now I know why. I'm very sorry to hear that. Good luck with getting it going again. BTW, I put mine up on jackstands yesterday and will soon start on the big clutch job.

Quick Reply: Road Atlanta DE this weekend - back on track at last!