Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Did my first DE today...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 11:01 PM
rocket951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did my first DE today...

...and had a blast! First session with an instuctor was a little nerve-racking, lots of information being exchanged, trying to stay on the track and do what he says, dealing with faster cars that want to pass...all in all, somewhat intimidating. Then, as I am pulling into the pits from that first session, my car starts making a very strange noise from the front of the engine. After having a few people listen to it, we decided that it was a belt slapping around inside the cover. We quickly tore it down to the belts and pulleys to find that the lower balance belt eccentric pulley was destroyed. After some deliberation decided to remove the dead pulley and cut off the belt and proceed with the day. Had it all buttoned up by the time for my second session rolled around.

Second session was much better, my instructor was actually raving about my improvement from only a couple hours earlier. He told me to go solo for the third and final session and that was the best one yet. It is a two day event so tomorrow we are going back but running the track in reverse. I get to learn a new line all over again.

Things I learned today: My car does NOT need more power, I need more skill. The fastest way through some corners is to SLOW DOWN. I want TRACK TIRES!

Finally, many thanks go out to Porschephile924 for helpng me with my car this morning, saving me a spot in the pits and generally just being a very cool dude to hang with. See you tomorrow Geoff!

Rodney
Old 10-23-2005, 01:33 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

DEs are lots of fun, congratulations, more than likely you are hooked .
I'm VERY surprised your instructor let you go solo after 2 sessions without any prior track experience.. Which organization was hosting this event?
The best thing you can do as a beginner (even as an advanced every now and then) is to have a more experienced driver with you. There is lots to learn, take advantage of having an instructor. Having an instructor DOES NOT mean you are not a good driver, you are just learning new skills.

Hold off for at least 4 DEs before you go to track/race tires.. Street tires give you plenty of audible warning when you reach the limit, and they are easier to recover. On street tires, you will learn car handling skills at lower speeds.. As an instructor, I would rather have a student on street tires especially if they don't have much experience.

Other than safety components, limit the modifications to your car, and just concentrate on driving. Make changes to your car only when your lap time is consistent from one lap to the next.

Be safe, and have fun.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:00 AM
rocket951
Instructor

John, I believe you are right about the tires, I was going about as fast as I comfortably could with a moderately worn set of P-Zeros and this definately helped keep me in check. The DE was a PCA event and I was in the novice run group which was probably why my instructor felt confident sending me out on my own. He will be with me again tomorrow. And yes, I think I am hooked.

Rodney
Old 10-23-2005, 02:04 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

"I think I am hooked."
Hope you got money, cause here come 12-15 events a year, street wheels/tires, track wheels/tires, street brakes, track brakes, mods... soon, you'll be thinking about w2w racing...
its a sickness I tell you!
I havent been to the track in over a month, I'm going through serious withdrawals here.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:26 AM
shmark
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eyal has it right, but didn't go far enough...track tires, wheels, suspension upgrades, brakes...car is too soft, find a tub, new suspension, cage, build engine, strip interior...damn can't drive it on the street...buy a truck, trailer...

You haven't been to the track in a month. I've got a DE next weekend at Road Atlanta, and I haven't been on the track in FOUR YEARS! Ouch. I went from 6-10 events a year to zero and sold the race car. But now I've made it back and cant wait!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Did my first DE today...