944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What do you think the problem is?

Old 01-27-2005, 01:12 PM
M@rk951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think the problem is?

Hey guys i just got a couple issues with my car

#1 The car starts up reeeaaal ****ty after being turned off for more than 30 minutes. The rpms are real low and it takes 10-15 min to get the idle to a respectful lvl where it drives nice. Its winter yeah but not even my old ford POS edition acts like that.... rpms usually start high and go down. I forget what the sensor is called but its like $110 bucks new and i was thinking that could be the problem.... the car runs frieking great once it gets going so its just something with the idle or cold start.

#2 ALSO when the car is cold, before i give it that 15min warmup, if i try to drive it ill more than usually get a screeching noise that disappears usually around speeds of 3rd gear. Is it a belt? It completely goes away when its warm... doesnt seem like anything serious but if anyone has an idea id love any input

Thx a ton for the help

Mark
Old 01-27-2005, 01:23 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by M@rk951
I forget what the sensor is called but its like $110 bucks new and i was thinking that could be the problem.... the car runs frieking great once it gets going so its just something with the idle or cold start.
That would be the Idle Stabilizer Valve (ISV), and it costs closer to $150-160.

If the problem goes away with the engine warm, then the ISV is a good possibility.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:11 PM
CurlyDE
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by M@rk951
#2 ALSO when the car is cold, before i give it that 15min warmup, if i try to drive it ill more than usually get a screeching noise that disappears usually around speeds of 3rd gear. Is it a belt? It completely goes away when its warm... doesnt seem like anything serious but if anyone has an idea id love any input
I had a similar issue that turned out to be the alternator / AC belt rubbing the belt cover. It ended up being a loose bolt holding the belt cover to the block.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:29 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

When was the last time you had a tune up? Replaced spark plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor, air filter, fuel filter?

For the screeching noise, check your alt/AC belts. If they are slipping, they will be cracked and glazed.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:44 PM
M@rk951
Instructor

ill look into a new sensor and check the belts... thanx guys
Old 01-27-2005, 04:53 PM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the DME TEMP Sensor II (the one with the blue connector) is bad. This sensor measures engine coolant temperature and sends it to the DME. The DME uses this temperature to compute cold start enrichment.

The temp sensor is an NTC, or Megative Temperature Coefficient device, which simply means the resistance of the device is inversely proportional to temperature. Ergo, if the device is cold, its resistance is high and vice versa. I would suspect that either the device is internally shorted, or there is a short in the wire harness.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:02 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

You may want to check the tps. Make sure that you hear a clicking sound when the throttle is closing right before the seated position. This is the circuit that engages the isc.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:01 AM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

M@rk951 - did you ever figure out the problem?
Old 10-23-2005, 01:15 PM
Musche
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Also check for air leaks on the J boot. I had a similar situation when I forgot to tighten the clamp to the MAF and airbox. It was letting unmetered air by and until the DME went to closed loop it sputtered and ran like crap. After about 30 seconds everything "seemed" fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What do you think the problem is?