Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

1989 Turbos are even more collectible now....

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 09:50 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very very sorry about your loss. More importantly, I'm glad you're OK!
Old 10-18-2005, 09:51 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Waterguy
New Bridgestone RE750's. They have about 1,000 miles, one track day and two autocrosses on them. Ironically, I bought them because they are good in the rain.
Hmmm. That's what I have.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:15 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Hi Don. Let me know asap about the car.. i might want to buy the wreck.

cheers.
Rich

ps. interested in a 968?
Old 10-18-2005, 10:15 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

pps, glad you are ok.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:25 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

ppps, based on what I know of the car, I would personally value it around $17,500 to $19,500cdn, to be realistic.

that would be in line with LOCAL values for what these cars are "asking" and "selling" for.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:26 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

pppps, if you absolutley want another turbo - look to the states. Thier buck being so weak against our dollar, now is a better time than ever before to buy below the border!!!!
Old 10-19-2005, 09:11 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, there is now a "slippery when wet" temporary sign up at that location.
I hate to be a jerk but doesnt this fall under the DUH category. Do you really need a sign that says something is slippery when it is wet? Kind of like having a sign in the bathroom that says wipe a$$ before raising shorts.

Let's keep it simple, you were driving too fast for the conditions, lost control of your vehicle and totalled it. While unfortunate (and it is, I really do empathize with you) it has nothing to do with anyone or anything but you. You should feel somewhat fortunate that they did not cite you for failure to keep control as well. Now, if a Canadian highway worker ran out into the road and you swerved to miss him, that is a completely different story
Old 10-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry for your loss!

My LSD was probably a contributing factor
Since the days of my old 454 Chevelle, I have known that a LSD helps greatly...up to a point. After you exceed that point....when both tires break loose....it is all over. Can you say "No traction at all". My Chevelle was an automatic with a shift kit. In the rain, even at part throttle, my trans shifted so hard it would spin the tires immediately. A couple of times, it spun me around and I was looking head on into oncomming traffic. I finally got some sense and stopped driving the car in the rain.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:14 PM
951North
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt H
I hate to be a jerk but doesnt this fall under the DUH category. Do you really need a sign that says something is slippery when it is wet? Kind of like having a sign in the bathroom that says wipe a$$ before raising shorts.

Let's keep it simple, you were driving too fast for the conditions, lost control of your vehicle and totalled it. While unfortunate (and it is, I really do empathize with you) it has nothing to do with anyone or anything but you. You should feel somewhat fortunate that they did not cite you for failure to keep control as well. Now, if a Canadian highway worker ran out into the road and you swerved to miss him, that is a completely different story

I think the point was, "This corner is especially slippery when wet" as the degraded pavement conditions were a contributing factor.

Yes you would expect pavement to be slippery when wet, the signs are supposed to warn of abnormal conditions...

Jason

Last edited by 951North; 10-19-2005 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:21 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Unless the pavement was degraded by an oil slick, I still dont see the relevance.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:24 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Matt H
I hate to be a jerk but....
Then why be one Matt? Of course I was going to fast for the conditions, or I would not have spun. "Duh", indeed. And no, people in Vancouver do not need signs to tell them that wet pavement is more slippery than dry pavement.

I have driven cars and motorcylces on wet roads for the last 31 years, and this is the first time I have lost control sufficiently to go off or spin. That includes some fast drives in the Porsche, so I thought I knew its limits and was not approaching or pushing those limits. I was caught by surprise by the spin. On further examination, it appears that the pavement is very worn and/or unusually slippery on that off-ramp. My point was, that if they had put up a sign indicating unusually slippery conditions on that ramp, then three mornings later, whoever hit the barriers and did this:

might have had some warning and slowed down a bit more. Whoever hit that barrier lost control in the same approximate location as I did.

My solution would be to put up warning signs until they can repave that ramp. I guess your solution would be to find all the people sliding off that ramp and let them know they were going too fast. Hopefully, one of them would then shove your teeth down your throat in appreciation of the advice.

Congratulations on your 13,000th post. Hopefully, some of them were more useful than what you have posted on this thread.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:37 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Tell me, do you slow down every time you see a slippery when wet sign? I am going to guess you ignore them just like everyone else does.

It also sounds like from your description that the problem has more to do with the change in elevation and radius of the turn that the wet conditions. I am also going to guess that you have no idea how the red marks in the picture got on the concrete. For all we know the road was dry.

As to my post count, I am sure I have helped someone, but you are welcome to vote me off the island, I sure dont give a crap. Some people like my straightforward nature, others dont. If you need technical help, let me know. If you post about an accident, speeding ticket, street race, or any other superfluous item you can expect all sorts of reactions and opinions.

Since this entire thread is really worthless in the grand scheme of an auto forum (unless someone happens to be driving on that onramp ), I dont see how my response is any less useful than the first 3 pages. Really, I am jerk...and I am not that sorry for it.

For the record, what is the posted speed limit on said ramp? What was your speed?
Old 10-19-2005, 05:56 PM
Madant26x
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talk about adding insult to injury, why did you even post in this thread anyway Matt? To increase your absurd post count? He just crashed his beloved Porsche in an accident that may or may not have been his fault, and he's looking at all the circumstances that may have caused the accident. I'm sure he knows he was a contributing factor, but the crappy road could have also been. And what concern is it to you if he wants to further investigate what happened? I would do the same if I suddenly spun and then crashed, especially since I know how to drive my car and know where the limit is in most conditions. Not to mention that I would have gone into a rage if a cop ticketed me after my car got smashed, and his investigation is mainly to get rid of the ticket.

Everything was fine for three pages and then you try to stir up some ****, by your own admission, you really are a jerk.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:03 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Dan, you are right, I shouldnt have ventured over into the "tech" forums at all.

Explain how three pages of I'm sorry, sue the city because the wet pavement was wet, maybe it was the tires, I cant believe you got a ticket (instead of two), etc. even belongs on a technical forum.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:44 PM
Madant26x
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, this has to be the first time the 944 Turbo forum wasn't used for a technical discussion. This section of the forum may be technically technical , but it's also a place where 951 owners share news, advice, and other information. I'd think you would know that after... gasp... 13,000 posts! You're so cool . It would be silly to post this in the off topic because he wants fellow 951 owners to see it. Is that a sufficient explanation for you? What are you the technical forum ****?

Anyway, that last post was just your bs attempt to whine about this thread. He was asking for advice on what to do and how to handle the ticket, not to sue anyone for what happened to his car, that was just recommended by someone else. The real issue here is you chiming in like an a-hole to remind him it was his fault - HE KNOWS.

Quick Reply: 1989 Turbos are even more collectible now....