Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

story teller listen up

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005 | 01:31 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rip It
people buy these turbo cars, 120,000 miles on the engines, throw out the cv, put an mbc in there and crank the boost all the way up to 19psi, go race it,
Let's not be too hard on him,

Guy's this is good info for newbies, we all know that cranking up the boost and not doing the things that should be done to allow that boost to be run safely is a recipe for trouble.

Yes.... I have thrown a rod, but not #2
Old 10-10-2005 | 01:50 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

There is a point in there somewhere, possibly that too many guys are ready to spend on go-fast goodies at the expense of proper maintenance?

One of the first things I had done to my car was to have the rod bearings replaced at the same time my pan gasket was done. It's an expensive job, but, along with the timing belt, a real achilles heel for these cars that will bite hard.

But I agree with others that excess boost rarely causes rod failure in itself. Head gaskets and top end problems yes, but not rod bearings.
Old 10-10-2005 | 04:10 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

I hate mechanics, their sooo full of ****.
~Eyal
Old 10-10-2005 | 05:01 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

OK, here is my input – it is very hard to spin a rod bearing – the first main bearing is the only one that will spin easily, all the other bearings come in two pieces – when I try to spin them they just fall over.
I can throw a rod a good 150 feet.
As for blowing things…..well, sorry can’t answer to that one!

“I hate mechanics, their sooo full of ****”….The same is true about most customers!

I am still stuck on the title of the thread – “Story Teller Listen Up” – which one is the story teller – the author or the subject? “Story Teller” can be a compliment or a derogatory comment. not sure where you are going….

Chris White
Old 10-10-2005 | 06:16 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

correct me if I'm wrong but the # 2 usually fails for lack of oil on the bearing. The boost has ZERO to do with that. Moreover this happens more with racing, and high mod applications than stock cars. So...what you genius mech said was...well nothing.
Old 10-10-2005 | 09:26 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Chris White
“I hate mechanics, their sooo full of ****”….The same is true about most customers!
Chris White
Chris, I meant the Porsche dealership,lude, thinks he knows all and preaches everything wrong type.
I would not consider you a mechanic. You are a shop, involved in everything a mechanic would tell you not to do. You track the cars, you engineer things.
Basically, you are hopelessly far too deep into your hobby! I think you know the type I am refering to though... You have to, you're in the business.
You have a point, customers are often full of it too.
~Eyal
Old 10-10-2005 | 09:27 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Really, 19psi on stock chips ISNT healthy? No wonder I have issues.

Last edited by MPD47; 10-11-2005 at 01:37 AM.
Old 10-11-2005 | 02:10 AM
pflyers
Instructor

Eyal,

I thought you got a job or did a while ago at the Porsche dealer in Calabassas as a mechanic trainee? I recall a post to that effect a while ago unless I'm wrong.

Problem:

If Eyal is a mechanic working at a dealership and Eyal says mechanics are full of **** then..

A. Mechanics are full of ****
B. Eyal is full of ****
C. All of the above
D. None of the above

Sorry Dude, I couldn't resist.

I know what your talking about. There is a P mechanic 3 blocks from my house but the guy is such a jerk and know it all that I'd never take my car to him for even an oil change.
Old 10-11-2005 | 02:33 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris White
OK, here is my input – it is very hard to spin a rod bearing – the first main bearing is the only one that will spin easily, all the other bearings come in two pieces – when I try to spin them they just fall over.

Chris White
You are doing it all wrong. Take the bearing and place it on a smooth table so that points up like a skinny bowl -- a marble table is best. Then, if you flick one end one with your index finger you can get it to spin quite nicely. As everyone knows, it is easier to spin the bearing if it is dry. Oil just kind of makes it stick to the table and not spin very well.
Old 10-11-2005 | 05:45 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

yep, i did work at a dealership. It was a full time summer job. (college, you know, a future!) So there IS basis to my claims, I've spent hundreds of hours working with em.
~Eyal
Old 10-11-2005 | 08:45 AM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

yeah, you were at a dealership. big difference. my experience with my mechanic has been excellent. he does extra things for me when my car is at the shop without charging me anything, and i can always go back and hang out in the work area while they are working. they show me things that i didn't know, and explain to me the certain quirks about my car that they have discovered through having raced 944s a lot. they dont race a lot at the moment because business has picked up so much, but the knowledge i have gathered from them has been great.

as for rip it, you need to be a bit more verbose. im not saying you have to turn a 30-second story into a 30-minute story like my fiancee, but dont turn it into a 5 second story, like you did, that we cant figure out the point of. take time to elaborate and make yourself clear
Old 10-11-2005 | 09:08 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Man, I opened up this thread expecting a Tifo-like story. Bummer.
Old 10-11-2005 | 09:21 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
Chris, I meant the Porsche dealership,lude, thinks he knows all and preaches everything wrong type. ~Eyal
Wow, I didn’t think that the dealerships had mechanics…..especially 944 mechanics! I prefer to think of the dealership shop people as parts replacers – if in doubt replace the part with a new factory part. Repeat until the problem is corrected.

I would not consider you a mechanic. ~Eyal
Sometimes my tools don’t think I am one either!

You are a shop, involved in everything a mechanic would tell you not to do. You track the cars, you engineer things. ~Eyal

Last time I went to the dealership around here was 7 or 8 years ago – I just wanted to borrow (rent) their KLR blink code tester. I was driving the car in question and figured that they would charge me ½ an hour just to plug it in – it would have been worth it at the time. But they said that such a tool did not exist. I happened to have my factory manual so I opened it up and pointed to it….he disappeared into the back room and came out 10 minutes later…”hmmm, we might have had that a long time ago but nobody has seen it for quite a while….”. That ruled them out as a place I might refer 944 folks to!

Chris White…and yes – I am in way too deep!
Old 10-11-2005 | 09:21 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by MPD47
Really, 19psi on stock chips ISNT healthy? No wonder I have issues.
Skip 19 and go straight to 20. 19 has bad karma
Old 10-11-2005 | 09:23 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
As everyone knows, it is easier to spin the bearing if it is dry. Oil just kind of makes it stick to the table and not spin very well.
So this is where all that talk about bearings spinning because of lack of oil….

Chris White

Quick Reply: story teller listen up