Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   Anyone trying something new out? (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/231163-anyone-trying-something-new-out.html)

theedge 10-06-2005 04:03 PM

Hey Eyal, how did you adjust the timing with your head? Did you get one of the adjustable cam gears? Ive milled mine the same amount.

AL951 10-06-2005 04:34 PM

Well, not to offend anybody but the reasons I have to do this upgrade are personal preference. I like to have massive braking reserves, good wear and of course that look. I am well aware of those technical aspects that some of you have pointed out, nonetheless it could be done in a way that works well on the street and that you don't have to worry when you go to the track or you favorite canyon road for a workout.

Regards,
AL

Campeck 10-06-2005 05:17 PM

once i get money i plan to turbocharge a stock na motor.....
call me back about that job woman!!!!:angry:

Eyal 951 10-06-2005 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by theedge
Hey Eyal, how did you adjust the timing with your head? Did you get one of the adjustable cam gears? Ive milled mine the same amount.

I didn't adjust it. I will eventually, but for now I'm leaving it alone. I'll work on the finer things once the damn thing proves reliable enough to put that kind of effort into it.
I think it will just be with an adjustable cam gear.
On a side note, what chips are you running, and are you seeing any detonation issues?
~Eyal

theedge 10-06-2005 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
I didn't adjust it. I will eventually, but for now I'm leaving it alone. I'll work on the finer things once the damn thing proves reliable enough to put that kind of effort into it.
I think it will just be with an adjustable cam gear.
On a side note, what chips are you running, and are you seeing any detonation issues?
~Eyal

Hmmm, thanks, I guess if yours in running I should be able to get mine.

Wont be running chips, or the Motronic for that matter :p

macnewma 10-06-2005 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by AL951
Well, not to offend anybody but the reasons I have to do this upgrade are personal preference. I like to have massive braking reserves, good wear and of course that look. I am well aware of those technical aspects that some of you have pointed out, nonetheless it could be done in a way that works well on the street and that you don't have to worry when you go to the track or you favorite canyon road for a workout.

Regards,
AL

AL-

That's cool. I just find that 99% of people have no understanding of braking systems at all and waste money on bigger brakes. At the same time, I don't know your situation and I am not judging it. I would be interested to know what it takes you to complete the conversion. I am generally curious and I like to see people tackling problems creatively. Good luck.

Eyal 951 10-06-2005 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by theedge
Hmmm, thanks, I guess if yours in running I should be able to get mine.

Wont be running chips, or the Motronic for that matter :p

Ahh, that makes sense. I just tensioned the timing belt and went for it. When the car was running 6 months ago (before I decided to take a break from the high oil prerssure, and the car) i was having a slight detonation issue only at about 90% throttle, WOT was not detonating. I think it needs some tuning, and I KNOW the TPS is trash, but I'm sure the raise in comprerssion will be fine once its tuned. theres plenty of turbo cars running high compression then this.
~Eyal

AL951 10-06-2005 07:17 PM

Thanks macnewna!

I really appreciate your input as well as everybody else in here. It's going to take some doing to get it to work but I'm not in a hurry, so we'll see.

Regards,
AL

macnewma 10-06-2005 07:19 PM

Good deal AL. Definitely keep everyone posted. You never know who is lurking out there and what kind of experience they might have that could help your project.

pole position 10-06-2005 08:14 PM

In general bigger brakes act as a better heatsink , almost all cars will stop once or twice with good results, after that heat becomes the enemy = fade.
Porsche upgraded on the 951S to the 928S4 calipers with a incresae of about 30 hp , with the 968TS they went with big reds with the hp increase to a little more than 300.
When it comes to brake development not to many people argue with Porsche.
The big reds while good calipers are outdated due to there two piece design which flexes a lot more than the current monoblock calipers (996 , 986 , Cayenne etc).
Pad selection becomes difficult for Cayenne calipers for track use.
www.ecstuning.com is offering Cayenne big brake upgraded for selected Audi/VW models at reasonable prices with Coleman sourced rotors and custom hats, you might want to try them for your application.

AL951 10-07-2005 03:50 PM

Thanks for the info Pole!

I will try them too. Temperature control is one of the reasons I want to do this. Like pole said this things can really take some heat.

Regards,
AL